Cam Rayner

He's expected to play his part just like anyone else in the team and he's doing that. Has been one of our better performers over the last couple of months.
You don't take kids at number 1 to play roles

You don’t expect a 22yo off an ACL to be carrying his team either.
He did * all the 3 previous years though.

Let's not pretend he was breaking out as a player before he did his knee

Aug 4, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Rayner's season (after missing a year from ACL) vs Petracca's age comparative season.

Disposals
15.4 v 18.7

Goals
0.9 v 1.0

Time on Ground
76% vs 88%

Not much difference, mostly due to playing less minutes as he's still building his tank, in part due to missing a year from doing an ACL.
Cam is the least of our worries this season, and expecting anything more than a solid contribution with occasional periods of quality this season is unrealistic.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Haha, you know your football Meteoric :) A true eye for spotting talent. ;)

Goals and goal assists combined top 10, round 15:

1. Jeremy Cameron 54 (42/12)
2. Tom Hawkins 51 (36/15)
3. Charlie Curnow 49 (44/5)
4. Aaron Naughton 48 (38/10)
5. Tom Lynch 42 (37/5)/Peter Wright (33/9)
7. Bayley Fritsch 41 (32/9)
8. Max King 39 (35/4)/Charlie Cameron (31/8)/Shai Bolton (26/13)

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

Rayner's season (after missing a year from ACL) vs Petracca's age comparative season.

Disposals
15.4 v 18.7

Goals
0.9 v 1.0

Time on Ground
76% vs 88%

Not much difference, mostly due to playing less minutes as he's still building his tank, in part due to missing a year from doing an ACL.
Cam is the least of our worries this season, and expecting anything more than a solid contribution with occasional periods of quality this season is unrealistic.
Another way of looking at it is Petracca averaged 17.4 in his first season (the first season after his ACL) when he had no tank and played solely forward.

How'd Petracca go early on ?

Rayner is trucking along fine
Around 19 touches and 1 goal a game average for his first 4 years while doing an ACL too

Comparatively Rayner is tracking no where near Petracca

Everyone plays a role, even your Petracca's and Olivers. Rayners role going forward is that high impact mid/forward and that's what we're grooming him as.
Then he needs to stop being a defensive liability through the midfield.

His defensive efforst on Thursday were horrible

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Then he needs to stop being a defensive liability through the midfield.

His defensive efforst on Thursday were horrible
If you are using defensive efforts as a metric, Rayner had twice as many tackles as Oliver and Petracca combined and also more pressure acts than both.

The game before that Rayner recorded a team high tackles and was 3rd for pressure acts.

Last edited:
If you are using defensive efforts as a metric, Rayner had twice as many tackles as Oliver and Petracca combined and also more pressure acts than both.

The game before that Rayner recorded a team high tackles and was 3rd for pressure acts.

I wouldn't waste your time bro

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Without looking at any stats you can clearly see he is becoming a brute in the middle. By next year numbers will continue to grow. Think 2023 he will break out and show his worth.
Agreed, he can break tackles and burst through a pack as good as anyone, just needs to do it more consistently but that will come in time.

He got a few tackles when the ball was in tight I'll give him that. But when the ball flicks around he us defensively lost

The footy on 'First Crack' was pretty damning

But I mean you guys are happy with him, so good luck

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He got a few tackles when the ball was in tight I'll give him that. But when the ball flicks around he us defensively lost

The footy on 'First Crack' was pretty damning

But I mean you guys are happy with him, so good luck
You're really clutching at straws now aren't you

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
trainwreck GIF

Rayner train

Train Traveling GIF by Grish Majethiya

Fritsch train

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
His growth has been good this year, but the gap between his good and his bad is ridiculous.

You'd be flat watching him run around collecting 6 possessions in a winning game at Home.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
One of the things I remember about Rayner's draft year was just how terrible his 3km time trial was. I think it was 13 minutes or more. At the time that was a massive red flag for me. Its understandable that it has taken him so long to get into the physical condition required to have high impact 20+ possession games.
To be fair to him he knew he was going number one regardless (good time trial - wow his fitness isn't so bad/bad time trial - wow he can still improve so much) and he only had Charlie Constable as a pace-setter.

Wonder what the Lions would do if they had their time again? Brayshaw is about as close to Neale as it gets (but still a likely choice), Dow is rubbish, LDU is similar-ish to Berry, Cerra similar-ish to McCluggage.

Rayner seems like a pretty OK choice as a difference-maker, just hasn't had the expected uptick.

Weird, weird draft.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bad game tonight for sure, good to give this thread a bit of fuel though. Danster would have been bricked up checking the stats all night
I'm just waiting for Meteoric to appear. I just think it's a bit rich to compare Rayner (who is still just an average player) to a guy who is top 8 in the afl goal kicking, 2 years in a row and kicked 6 in a granny. The nerve. And the disrespect.

I think Cameron gave him a goal out of pity at the end. And I was glad he did. I started feeling sorry for the guy.

Back