Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

T

That’s not right. I’m pretty sure they have to have the capacity to pay whatever they match and this is revised by AFL. Ie. we bid $700,000, they need to have it in their cap. Can’t just theoretically match knowing they won’t have to pay.
They do need to have it in their cap but it's just dollars and years. So if we offer $6m over 5 years then Melbourne can match with a contract that has $6m dollars paid in full in 2027.

That loophole is the entire reason gws were able to match. They realistically couldn't afford the contract they matched with but it doesn't matter because Jez wasn't going to sign it anyway.

They do need to have it in their cap but it's just dollars and years. So if we offer $6m over 5 years then Melbourne can match with a contract that has $6m dollars paid in full in 2027.

That loophole is the entire reason gws were able to match. They realistically couldn't afford the contract they matched with but it doesn't matter because Jez wasn't going to sign it anyway.
I thought- but could be wrong- they have to use the same years but could spread the money differently?

The other club won't walk away, so they won't get stuck. Brayshaw would be silly to agree to a contract without a guarantee he gets there
If Melbourne offer Brayshaw $500,000 pa and he thinks he is worth more and meets Geelong who offer $700,000, he is in a win win situation. If Melbourne match, he gets what he is worth and doesn’t have to leave, and if Melbourne don’t match, he gets what he wants at Geelong. There is no need for him to demand that Geelong trade if it is matched, and Geelong cannot of course guarantee a trade as Melbourne might make a ridiculous demand. Cats would only do that if they had to have him, like they did with Cameron, but Brayshaw is not in that class. Cats could well decide to only get him as a RFA with no trade.

T

That’s not right. I’m pretty sure they have to have the capacity to pay whatever they match and this is revised by AFL. Ie. we bid $700,000, they need to have it in their cap. Can’t just theoretically match knowing they won’t have to pay.

Lets face it...there has only ever been one match so we are talking a theoretical situation.

The way I understand it... they have to show they have the capacity to pay within the cap. I presume that the clever richards can find a way to find room if they want to. Perhaps ask players to alter and move contracts.. to create room if they have to. If they end up having to pay it might put them in a Treloar situation eventually.

With Cameron... I think they were already paying him similar money to what we offered, perhaps even more..so matching was not hard... but as we have seen , they are squirrel gripped with about 4 long term contracts on big money... add Cameron and who knows how they keep players like Taranto etc happy as they come into new contracts. I think in a way its similar to us with GS jr... we dug deep and offered a big amount that if he had stayed would probably have seen us lose a couple of players.

In the end..if I had to bet ... Id say neither are on our list in 2023, so it probably will stay theoretical.

Last edited:
I’d say someone not turning up to a job interview is a good indicator they don’t want to work there.
Simon Lloyd pretty much confirmed the club is looking at both Brayshaw and De Goey pre game on Krock.
Of course. Pretty fair indicator of their character as well.

They chose not to come to Geelong b/c they couldn't get the 'conditions' they wanted. They knew they would not be allowed to get away with their antics.

They ruled themselves out after realizing Geelong's standards were ones they could not, or would not, meet.

If Melbourne offer Brayshaw $500,000 pa and he thinks he is worth more and meets Geelong who offer $700,000, he is in a win win situation. If Melbourne match, he gets what he is worth and doesn’t have to leave, and if Melbourne don’t match, he gets what he wants at Geelong. There is no need for him to demand that Geelong trade if it is matched, and Geelong cannot of course guarantee a trade as Melbourne might make a ridiculous demand. Cats would only do that if they had to have him, like they did with Cameron, but Brayshaw is not in that class. Cats could well decide to only get him as a RFA with no trade.
If you can't guarantee the trade if matched brayshaw will go to a club who will

Barrage is a good player with clubs chasing him. Might be a different story if we were his only suitor, but in that case the trade wouldn't be better than compo anyway. We'd be looking at a different player scenario more like Crouch where the pick was basically what he was worth

If he tells Melb he wants out ...I doubt he will do it to just get more money. It would be a part of it but ist probably about role as well.

Could he sets his mind to going at 500 but switche to stay again at 700? I guess its possible but its also possible once he decides to move , then he will want move. There are probably examples of either outcome. I think I heard McStay was low balled by Bris, then given a much bigger offer by Collingwood... which now Bris have matched. Yet the way I heard it , now he is still debating the move.

I don't think he would seriously consider us if we told him... sorry if they match we will withdraw our interest. My thinking is a player wants to hear that you love them and you want them, and will do what ever to bring them here etc. , even though all players know there is a limit that all clubs would put on any trade situation.

I suspect he stays. Perhaps a move to play with his brother would appeal but they look to have eyes elsewhere. Does he really move from Melb to us?

Nah, the money is only counted by year not by month or anything so spreading it differently means spreading differently over years

In matching ..cant they average it or something...it doesn't have to be exactly the same structure

edit..

* In order to qualify as a matching offer, the player’s existing club must make an offer on the same terms as the new offer tabled by the player in respect of the following matters: 1) contract length; 2) base payments; 3) total match payments; 4) total ASA payments; 5) total performance incentives based on AFL awards or honours, club best-and-fairest finish or games played (not including finals). Any incentives for team performance are not required to be matched. A player may not table an offer to be matched for less than a two-year contract length.

* For salary cap purposes, actual payments made to players by either club (being new or existing) may be allocated evenly over the contract length. For example, if a player is offered a three-year deal for base payments of $400,000, $100,000 and $100,000, and ASA payments of $40,000, $10,000, $10,000, the club that matches these payments may allocate $200,000 per year under the TPP limit and $20,000 per year under the ASA limit.

* If a club has elected to allocate payments evenly over the contract length and the contract to be matched contains an asymmetrical bonus or match payment structure, actual non-guaranteed payments made shall be allocated evenly over the remainder of the contract length. For example, if a player is offered a three-year deal with $10,000 match payments in year one, but zero match payments in years two and three, any match payments paid to the player in year one may be allocated evenly across all three years of the contract for salary cap purposes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The numbers that they match with are fake numbers. Technically they can match any bid we make and they know they don't have to follow it through.

They will have exactly zero reason not to match the bid

I know technically thats true but i respectfully disagree on this one.
If you watch the amazon prime doco it makes clear.melbourne are short cap and took dunstan on min wage as they have little cap.
All it takes when they match is the other club to walk away and they are stuck with brayshaw on 700 and now everyone knows they physically cant fit jackson in the cap so freo or wce have the leverage to offer real unders (worst case wce in psd). Which is why if brayshaw signs somewhere else they wont match they will take the band 2 compo and move on and try to keep jackson with the money imo.

I know technically thats true but i respectfully disagree on this one.
If you watch the amazon prime doco it makes clear.melbourne are short cap and took dunstan on min wage as they have little cap.
All it takes when they match is the other club to walk away and they are stuck with brayshaw on 700 and now everyone knows they physically cant fit jackson in the cap so freo or wce have the leverage to offer real unders (worst case wce in psd). Which is why if brayshaw signs somewhere else they wont match they will take the band 2 compo and move on and try to keep jackson with the money imo.
Sounds logical. I think there would be a line, and some sort of risk assessment v possible gain. Even making us using a R1 rather letting us keep might seem advantageous. If our offer is way more than they were thinking then yes. What are the numbers do you feel. It seems less than 500 is old hat. Id have to think Melb would have been planing to pay him more than that.

It would make me physically sick if we had to trade for Brayshaw.

We would be the only team that would have been made to trade for a RFA and we would have then done it 3x.

We need to get these guys for cash only.... otherwise our youth stock will never get to a decent level.

Agree. And you can't look past the fact only two FAs have been traded for picks, and both have been to Geelong, which is clearly annoying.

But I think the difference is that Danger and Cameron were A+ players, like top 5 in the league at the time. Neither Brayshaw (or De Goey) are in that ball park, so the chance of us trading are much lower. Cameron was worth 3 first rounders, so GWS had incentive to force the trade knowing they'd get a lot more than the compo; and they had the cap space to keep him there. But Melbourne would get pick 18ish as compo, and maybe 10-15 if forcing a trade, which is a marginal gain, so they're not going to bother. Especially is it means matching a contract they can't afford

Agree. And you can't look past the fact only two FAs have been traded for picks, and both have been to Geelong, which is clearly annoying.

But I think the difference is that Danger and Cameron were A+ players, like top 5 in the league at the time. Neither Brayshaw (or De Goey) are in that ball park, so the chance of us trading are much lower. Cameron was worth 3 first rounders, so GWS had incentive to force the trade knowing they'd get a lot more than the compo; and they had the cap space to keep him there. But Melbourne would get pick 18ish as compo, and maybe 10-15 if forcing a trade, which is a marginal gain, so they're not going to bother. Especially is it means matching a contract they can't afford
Remember when we had posters (and there were many) arguing that we overpaid for Danger. Truly amazing, they were Geelong supporters too.

Remember when we had posters (and there were many) arguing that we overpaid for Danger. Truly amazing, they were Geelong supporters too.
There’s still a few around saying we overpaid for both of them. It’s all about performance isn’t it? If you look at Tim Kelly at the eagles that trade is criticised because Kelly has gone backwards since he left as have them eagles. Danger and Jezza have performed at a level that has improved the team they went to.

Nah, the money is only counted by year not by month or anything so spreading it differently means spreading differently over years
What I mean is if we offered-

Yr1- 1m
Yr2- 1m
Yr3- 1m

Match would have to do $3m over three years but the breakdown per year can vary.

What I mean is if we offered-

Yr1- 1m
Yr2- 1m
Yr3- 1m

Match would have to do $3m over three years but the breakdown per year can vary.
Yeah, so they put $3m in year 3 where they have only a handful of players contracted.

On paper every side in the league can match any contract that's 3+ years

It was overpaying when considering what other clubs have given up for free agents. Compare Lynch vs Cameron. I know which deal was the better one for the respective clubs

It was overpaying when considering what other clubs have given up for free agents. Compare Lynch vs Cameron. I know which deal was the better one for the respective clubs

Thats not our fault if gws finished bottom 3 like gc did that year they would have taken compo for cameron. When the compo is tied to ladder position thats what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back