Preview Round 16 - Bombers vs Swans - Saturday 02 Jul @ 1:45pm MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be spewing if they drop fox for Cunningham

Fox provides so much in a defensive unit IMO , plays small and tall , can run and carry. Floats across
Allows rampe to free up a little also

Yep the bolded for me was what stood out. I've always liked what he can offer in terms of freeing up others to shore up the defence, but it was his rebounding and ball use from d50 that was awesome to watch last night, albeit against witches hats. Haven't seen any of that from Cunningham this year.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Kudos Membling - quality preview.

You‘ve definitely consolidated a spot in the Swans Bigfooty best XXII.

As for the game - to those who say Clarke is just a tagger, I disagree. He can be a very effective pressure forward (more so than Wicks or Ronke at present). To say he’s just a tagger is doing him a disservice.

No changes.

Just an annual (bi-annual this year) reminder for all Essendon Fans reading this thread:

View attachment 1433259

Now I will explain why this is probably another danger game.

Essendon lost week lost to WCE. Yes, the match was more of a fight to the death between two malnourished, untrained, ill prepared and most likely intoxicated degenerates but hey, it may galvanise the dons.

Swans have a lot riding on this game for top 4 aspirations. Now we have a history over the last few years of dropping games that we really shouldn’t, especially when it could be hugely advantageous to win. Looking directly at both the dogs and power games.

Last time we played:

We have to go as far back as…. Round 9 which was all of six weeks ago. Swans won by 58 point kicking a wayward 14.21 105 to 6.11 47. Mills smashed it with 29 disposals, seven clearances and 13 tackles, with The Chad having his career best game in my opinion with 32 disposals and 11 score involvements. Parish had 31 disposals but as with his game, it is death by a thousand cuts rather than impact and Hobbs playing a solid game being one of the Debutants for the Dons this year. Peter Wright was the lone threat for dons that game, kicking two majors and has been one of the Dons more constant performers during this season.

The Dons:

Current representation of the state of the Essendon Footy Club:
View attachment 1433261

Essendon have been… well deplorable. A lot of external chatter they would be up and about with continued development from the likes of Perkin, Cox and Reid but the core players are just not there. Coupled with not winning a final for 6504 days and counting (probably will be chucking on a minimum of another 400 odd days as this year is a write off) they have not been a force for quite a while.

A look at their last few games:

Last Five

LLLWL

Average losing margin: 21 points

Average winning margin: 35 points

Last game

Weagles 16.11 107.
Dons 14.13 97

Jeez, you would be dirty if you were a dons fan. WCE are a crippled footy club right now and you should be expected to win regardless. Suppose nothing is ever in the bag come sports. Two metre Peter played well with a wayward 4.4 and 8 marks and Stringer and Martin ably supporting him with 3.0 and 2.2 respectively (Martin has been a great pick up). Merrett chipped in (pun intended) with 28 disposals and Shiel with 26 disposals.

However, there is something entirely dysfunctional with Essendon as a whole. Their midfield looks relatively soft with a very same same vibe in Merrett, Shiel and Parish rotating through. It is no surprise they swing in Stringer for a POD through there. The backline looks underwhelming, especially with their KPD posts - looking at the line up was it Laverde and… Ridley taking FB and CHB? Their forward line is perhaps their strongest line up with Stringer and Wright leading the way with Jones showing some exceptionally promising signs.

They could really do with a forward like Logan McDonald. Thank you Dorodo for being a difficult POS to deal with.

Swans recent game:

Our best, is arguably the most electric and skillful movement and finishing in the league and I will stand by that statement. However, our worst is insipid garbage that allows teams to get multiple goals scored, usually in a flurry. So, with that being said. I want a consistent effort over four quarters. Also to bury the Dons as we will definitely need percentage if we are even a sniff of a top 4 finish.

Two weeks ago we did not turn up. The game against the saints was a bizarre grind before we took advantage of our dominance and crushed them in the third kicking 5.4 to 0.2. Against the Saints the Swans midfield worked on defensive running culminating in the Saints being restricted to 2.6 18 up to three quarter time. The return of Ruck Jesus saw him get beasted in the HOs but was arguably more effective around the ground than Marshall as he also contributed a goal, 7 clearances and 8 score involvements. Our whipping boys lit it up with Lloyd recording 39 disposals and looking down right effective. In fact our, entire HBF contingent were immense with Blakey recording 31 disposals and Florent 27 with a brilliant goal in the third.

Now, lets talk about Stephens. Personally, I believe he played his best game for the Swans as he was allowed to gut run and be a link up player. The kid needs a consistent run at this level. He is a traditional winger so when our grunt mids are off the boil, so will he. Need to give him time to develop in the firsts. A rotating wing/HFF or JMac, Campbell, Stephens and Gulden could blossom beautifully given time.

Match ups:

Buddy vs… Laverde?

Look, it most likely will not happen but probably best chance to kinda get close to 13. He has looked fantastic playing up the ground, setting up team mates and being an overall menace. If he does play up I expect maybe 2-3 goals with a heap of assists to Heeney, Logan and Hayward. For someone who was on a downward trajectory, 30 goals from 12 games going at 2.5 goals per game is juicy.

The Macs vs Two Meter Peter and Jones

This makes sense on paper but could easily see Rampe taking Jones and Paddy taking Stringer or vice versa. We look to be relatively well matched for their forwards. If really depends on who Horse wants to be that floating interceptor.

Rowbottom vs Shiel

I personally would like to see this as a head to head in the middle to make Shiel accountable as Shiel does not like the tough stuff. He has been in very good nick for the Bombers recently, but with a bit of Rowbottom attention, I feel that his influence could be curtailed.

Ins/Out:

Swans:

Big call but Nil. Feel like we keep this line up unless injury strikes.

Dons:

Not sure and Dons fans could correct me but they need some KPDs in..

Ins: Parish, Brand, Reid

Outs:Ridley (inj), Heppell (inj), Durham

Swans by 44.

Bonus fun fact: This will be our second and last game at the MCG for this year.

View attachment 1433264

(How is Ariel Steinburg going by the way?)

Include a picture of him but don't even mention it's Parker's 250th!!

Don't tell me it's a milestone game! It seems to me we always stink it up in a milestone game

One of the fastest to 250 I believe. I remember all the fuss last year when Dusty hit 250 and how quickly he'd done it, Parker debuted a year later and is hitting it a year later. Wonder how much the media will focus on it though.

Can't wait to attend this rare live game with my two mates who I haven't seen in a while (both Dons fans) and Dad who is a Bloods fan. Hope the contest is good and the boys come away with the win.

As it has been a while, recommendations for places to have a feed/drink prior to the game?
Try the Londern Tavern. About a 10-15 minute walk from the ground. Good Parma's if that's your go but last time I was there they had a great wagyu burger with beetroot, rocket and cheese as well.

You guys are gonna get us. We're no good.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Kudos Membling - quality preview.

You‘ve definitely consolidated a spot in the Swans Bigfooty best XXII.

As for the game - to those who say Clarke is just a tagger, I disagree. He can be a very effective pressure forward (more so than Wicks or Ronke at present). To say he’s just a tagger is doing him a disservice.

No changes.

You can call me Sam Reid. Taken me 12 years to get there.

Include a picture of him but don't even mention it's Parker's 250th!!

Hhhmmmm... will add it just for you

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Can't wait to attend this rare live game with my two mates who I haven't seen in a while (both Dons fans) and Dad who is a Bloods fan. Hope the contest is good and the boys come away with the win.

As it has been a while, recommendations for places to have a feed/drink prior to the game?
Early Saturday game so expect most pubs everywhere to be fairly quiet. I've always liked the food at Richmond Club Hotel for pub grub. Nice pub. Rooftop is great if its nice weather (which its not really meant to be). Mt View is a cracker of a pub as well.

But I recommend getting a sandwich from either Hugos Deli (Swan St) or Hectors Deli (Buckingham St) and either eating it in a park (Hugos) or on your way to Mt View (Hectors).

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
One of the fastest to 250 I believe. I remember all the fuss last year when Dusty hit 250 and how quickly he'd done it, Parker debuted a year later and is hitting it a year later. Wonder how much the media will focus on it though.

I doubt they’ll even be aware how long it’s taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great preview Membling

If available McInerney must return. He more than countered Langdon in our last game at the (big) G. His run and carry on a ground that suits him will be important.

Barring unknown injuries, JMac for Clarke is the only change I would make. Clarke should be medi sub IMO.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Great preview Membling

If available McInerney must return. He more than countered Langdon in our last game at the (big) G. His run and carry on a ground that suits him will be important.

Barring unknown injuries, JMac for Clarke is the only change I would make. Clarke should be medi sub IMO.

Punts liked a post suggesting Stephens holds his spot?!

Wow, you’re a changed man Punts! 😋

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
He deserves another week no doubt but I can’t see Jmac in the 2s ever and horses love for Cunningham playing 2s also
JMac and Cunningham will come back in if healthy etc.

Which would lead to Stephens/Clarke or Fox having to make way. If that’s the case seems harsh given they all played their role.

It'll be a really interesting week at selection as I think guys like Stephens and Clarke have bought themselves another week to impress - but at the same time it is 'just' Essendon, so I'm not sure how much we'll be able to read into their performances in this one too, and then we have a much bigger game against the Dogs the following week where you'd want guys like JMc to not be coming in cold for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back