Autopsy Swans tarnish Saints Halo by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The SCG is the same size as the Gabba While being bigger than Marvel.
In area. Its right in the middle by size of the grounds the AFL uses.

The camera angle is terrible. Makes it look congested.
Have no idea why they can’t make a platform for the camera. How often do we sell out, just put it where there are some seats if needs be. Makes the game look so cheap and amateurish

An exert from the Mongrel Punts game review.

View attachment 1433902
I rotated the Saints' heatmap 180degrees to see how they looked if the heatmaps were set up like an actual game (heat maps always have the side going to the right, regardless of which team or quarter you look at) and we both favoured the broadcast side wing. Given how both McCartins, Lloyd and Florent are all right footers it doesn't surprise me too much.

Reckon we're being a bit harsh on Max King. Kicked 35 goals for the year, top 5 in the comp, one of the youngest members of a team that was diabolical, gave him s**t supply and didn't look like they cared. Same age as Rowbottom who was a non-factor last night and McInerney who some on here don't even have in our team next week.

King's a quality player and a hard working forward who had a stinker. Big deal.
Rowy 83 pressure acts again , the most and mills had 65 , but it is Champion Data

Rowy 83 pressure acts again , the most and mills had 65 , but it is Champion Data

Watch the replay bedders, he was playing as the man behind for three quarters. Pretty easy to rack up tackles, points for closing space, corralling etc. when it's your priority over the yellow, leather oval shaped thing.

He did the job asked of him, but the job makes him average every time when he is much better than that.

Only part I didn't like was he jumped and feet were off the ground when the impact was made. Had he stayed on the ground, I think the impact would have been lessened.
Agree. Jones jumped and turned what should have been a bump to Parker's shoulder into a solid hit to Parker's chin. Jones should be glad it was Parker. Anyone else would have been stretchered. Parker didn't flinch. This is a man who eats a bowl of crumbled granite for breakfast, a stack of bricks for lunch and enjoys a cup of hot acid before going to sleep on a bed of razors. If he can't sleep he counts cement trucks and he likes to wake to a live grenade going off.

Jones is mere belly button fluff by comparison but the action and intent should get him a week, though probably only a stiff fine.

Only part I didn't like was he jumped and feet were off the ground when the impact was made. Had he stayed on the ground, I think the impact would have been lessened.

and that is why he should be charged.

This is the thing though, Cunningham's form pre-injury was ordinary, and warranted being in the 2s, he got injured, then as soon as he's fit, goes straight into the firsts. He's a coaches pet. I'm sure of it.

I'm incredibly fearful of him coming back in. McInerney I can deal with, but not Cunningham.

I'd probably actually drop Clarke for McInerney. Clarke played a tagging role on a half backman. No need to do that next week. We can handle Essendon without tagging Parish or Merrett. The week after? The Dogs. Does Clarke tag Macrae? I'm not convinced. Libba? Hmmm. I think we can beat the Dogs without tagging either.

It's just not often we need a tagger and we'd be relying on Clarke to do that good of a job all the time, and he doesn't have enough points in the bank to allow himself a down game and keep his spot.
I think we should have tagged either McR or Libba last time we played the Dogs. We simply could not handle their mids before they put the cue in the rack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what's involved in the defensive mid role. If there is one part of footy that I'm scrupulously attentive to, it is the midfield and every role within it. I am the kind of nuffy who pauses the game before and after each bounce of the ball so I can get a read of where the mids are positioned, what their role seems to be, do they spread or hold their position etc. I'm an unapologetic, absolute geek in this regard.

I will say what I have said over and over: Never confuse a mid who is very good defensively with a defensive mid. They are two very different things that require two very different set of qualities. Rowbottom's not suited to it one bit. Literally none of his best footy has ever come when playing defensive mid.
The fact that you do these things does not make you more knowledgeable and/or experienced than anyone else, and certainly doesn't make you a geek!

Rowie is there to play a role in the Swans team, not to further his individual brilliance. That is what he is paid for, that is his role... to perform to the best of his ability in whatever role required by the team.

Watch the replay bedders, he was playing as the man behind for three quarters. Pretty easy to rack up tackles, points for closing space, corralling etc. when it's your priority over the yellow, leather oval shaped thing.

He did the job asked of him, but the job makes him average every time when he is much better than that.
Absolute rubbish! What you mean is he played his role to perfection, but you would prefer him to be a star...

You want him to show his individual brilliance, and to that end demean the role he played as 'pretty easy'. All it really does is confirm you have no understanding what it takes to be an AFL level midfielder and/or AFL level team player... Individuals do not win premierships.

Rowie is a team player in a team sport... who along with the rest of the team did an outstanding job on the weekend, in my opinion.

Tough game to rewatch and very hard to gauge how well we played.
Easy to write it off as Saints being sh*t but, for mine, the effort, and then the endeavour, of our defensive smalls was the difference.
Can not recall Lloydy having a better two-way game. Think we are a much more threatening team if he can continue in that mode.
Thought Foxy was fantastic, particularly in the first half with the game up for grabs. He was everywhere. I’ll be angry if he goes out again before seasons end… and if he doesn’t get re-signed to a real contract.
Flo and Blakey’s run negated the threat of Saints small forwards. No surprise in that obvious tactical change after Ports smalls laid 22? F50 tackles last week.
Brothers Mac and Rampe looked as polished as any defensive unit in the league without endless re-entries being thrown at them.
Interesting bit of commentary very early in the second… “Sharman soars over Tom Mac” then they show it in slo-mo and Rampe arriving just in a nick of time and soaring even higher to effect a copybook spoil!
Love Tom Hickey… gotta keep him fit. Second, third and fourth efforts making a mockery of a big loss in hit out numbers.
Small but discernible change in Errol’s game… bit hungrier to exert pressure in the open spaces.
All the forwards, except Buddy, were a bit off. Possibly distracted by the collective commitment to whole-of-ground pressure. No surprise Buddy wasn’t impacted! And great to see the little Aussie Battler Ryan Clarke have some joy.
Umps were on a par with Saints. We had a good run but some pretty average calls.
Want Horse in the dug out every week. This young group needs that up-close pressure every time they go for a breather.
Have we turned a corner? Did Horse grow as a coach after the Port debacle? There is only one acceptable result v the Bombers… a handsome win.

The fact that you do these things does not make you more knowledgeable and/or experienced than anyone else, and certainly doesn't make you a geek!

Rowie is there to play a role in the Swans team, not to further his individual brilliance. That is what he is paid for, that is his role... to perform to the best of his ability in whatever role required by the team.

Absolute rubbish! What you mean is he played his role to perfection, but you would prefer him to be a star...

You want him to show his individual brilliance, and to that end demean the role he played as 'pretty easy'. All it really does is confirm you have no understanding what it takes to be an AFL level midfielder and/or AFL level team player... Individuals do not win premierships.

Rowie is a team player in a team sport... who along with the rest of the team did an outstanding job on the weekend, in my opinion.

I'm saying he can do both, like he did against Melbourne, Richmond etc. I want us to have the best midfield possible. If that means we have a heavily defensive role player in there, then sign me up. But all evidence I have seen this year suggests that that is not our path forward to our best midfield possible. Just because we got away with it against witches hats on the weekend, doesn't mean it will hold up against the best sides. Then there's also the matter of the last time we asked a very capable mid to essentially reduce his capabilities for the sake of a role within the midfield. What was his name again?

But thank you for your typically volatile feedback. For the record, if you tell me I'm underestimating something without really knowing anything about me, then I'm entitled to respond and defend myself. It doesn't mean I think I'm more knowledgable or experienced. I'm simply justifying my position. But as usual you have to take a fairly reasonable position "x should not be playing y role" and turn it into a sledging match. I actually like a lot of your posts and your passion but you turn into Cujo as soon as someone gives an opinion that you don't agree with.

I still maintain that games at the SCG tend to be scrappy & not free-flowing - and ground dimensions must surely play a part. It always just looks and feels congested.

I reckon disposal efficiencies would be lower on the SCG than any other ground (albeit I have no stats to back that up).

So whilst our forward entries weren’t great, when the pressure was on early, it wasn’t surprising.

It seemed that after half time when Florent and Blakey started running through half-interested Saints, things really improved in that regard.

Against Port it was the same. Our disposal was abysmal and that was at Adelaide Oval. I don't think it has to do with the ground so much as being tuned in. If we bring high intensity and play for high intensity in return we will dispose well. But if we don't bring it, as in the Port match, we do not dispose well under high intensity. We need to train under high intensity from now on to ready us for finals.

I want to address the COVID problem. We missed many staff and two players on the weekend. We were lucky enough to have footy people at all levels of our management who could fill in. We will probably get more COVID protocol cases. But luckily, we can manage the damage because we have very good reserves. These players are ready to come in;

Amartey, Bell, Gould, Sheldrick, Hall-Khan, Ronke, Sinclair (if needed), Melican, O'Connor, Corey Warner, Roberts & Rankin. None of these boys would be bad at AFL level. They would all play a role. I think we are very lucky our depth runs deep

Against Port it was the same. Our disposal was abysmal and that was at Adelaide Oval. I don't think it has to do with the ground so much as being tuned in. If we bring high intensity and play for high intensity in return we will dispose well. But if we don't bring it, as in the Port match, we do not dispose well under high intensity. We need to train under high intensity from now on to ready us for finals.

I want to address the COVID problem. We missed many staff and two players on the weekend. We were lucky enough to have footy people at all levels of our management who could fill in. We will probably get more COVID protocol cases. But luckily, we can manage the damage because we have very good reserves. These players are ready to come in;

Amartey, Bell, Gould, Sheldrick, Hall-Khan, Ronke, Sinclair (if needed), Melican, O'Connor, Corey Warner, Roberts & Rankin. None of these boys would be bad at AFL level. They would all play a role. I think we are very lucky our depth runs deep
Bell is not up to it , Fox playing well doesn't help Gould and some of the others aren't ready yet

I'm saying he can do both, like he did against Melbourne, Richmond etc. I want us to have the best midfield possible. If that means we have a heavily defensive role player in there, then sign me up. But all evidence I have seen this year suggests that that is not our path forward to our best midfield possible. Just because we got away with it against witches hats on the weekend, doesn't mean it will hold up against the best sides. Then there's also the matter of the last time we asked a very capable mid to essentially reduce his capabilities for the sake of a role within the midfield. What was his name again?

But thank you for your typically volatile feedback. For the record, if you tell me I'm underestimating something without really knowing anything about me, then I'm entitled to respond and defend myself. It doesn't mean I think I'm more knowledgable or experienced. I'm simply justifying my position. But as usual you have to take a fairly reasonable position "x should not be playing y role" and turn it into a sledging match. I actually like a lot of your posts and your passion but you turn into Cujo as soon as someone gives an opinion that you don't agree with.

i don't think Saints were Witches Hats. we turned them into a poor side through pressure and intensity at the ball. They provided pressure back in the first half but mainly on the back of some very ordinary disposal by us. Our first half disposal was abysmal. we should have led by 10 goals at least at half time. But we wasted far too much ball inside 50. Thirty entries for ten scoring shots is piss poor.

In the second half we were far better. Our disposal was wonderful in the third and part of the last but we relaxed in the last. Our tactics were very good against Saints. We just put Richmond grand final pressure on and the buckled like an aluminium door frame.

Bell is not up to it , Fox playing well doesn't help Gould and some of the others aren't ready yet
Bedford if you read the post correctly I said in COVID situations. I believe any of those could come in and play a role in COVID situations. Gould is not the same type as Fox. Fox played Harry's role on weekend. I like him in that role. In fact I prefer him to Harry. Harry gives up far too many goals.

Tough win on a disgraceful surface , is it because of League .
Well done to Fox and Stephens , give me Fox over Cunners any day .
Good to see Florent and Lloyd step up , as did Rampe best game for awhile .Hayward was disappointing once again , must do more , or ressies.
The silly reporter in Murdoch papers Tamaryn McGregor didn't even have Blakey in the best 6 and didn;t have Clarke , but gave him 2 votes for 10 possies , mindboggling !
For once we got gifted and we were , apart from the terrible 50m

Should never play Twilight or Night games at SCG. Always better when we played Sunday Arvos there. In Sydney it gets very dewy at night. The dew forms on the surface of the grass making it really slippery

Bedford if you read the post correctly I said in COVID situations. I believe any of those could come in and play a role in COVID situations. Gould is not the same type as Fox. Fox played Harry's role on weekend. I like him in that role. In fact I prefer him to Harry. Harry gives up far too many goals.
Fox is bigger than Cunners and more flexible , thanks Wolftone

In his post match interview, Heeney said something to the meaning of.. He needed the Bye, hes been quite lethargic/run down.
Could he be going through a glandular fever re-occurance? it happens to many who have glandular fever, and would explain his piping hot start to the season, and his dramatic fall.
Hes been clearly struggling for a couple of months. In saying that, 4 goals last week and 3 more this week isn't a bad return.

if he can average over 2 goals without beeing at his best, imagine what his best can be

i don't think Saints were Witches Hats. we turned them into a poor side through pressure and intensity at the ball. They provided pressure back in the first half but mainly on the back of some very ordinary disposal by us. Our first half disposal was abysmal. we should have led by 10 goals at least at half time. But we wasted far too much ball inside 50. Thirty entries for ten scoring shots is piss poor.

In the second half we were far better. Our disposal was wonderful in the third and part of the last but we relaxed in the last. Our tactics were very good against Saints. We just put Richmond grand final pressure on and the buckled like an aluminium door frame.

I personally think that's being generous. Saints were pretty s**t and off the boil. We laid 56 tackles which is a smidge below our season average of 57. And it didn't feel like our pressure was manic. We were fierce at capitalising on their turnovers (albeit not in a scoreboard sense) but I thought a lot of their turnovers were of their own doing. 72 clangers for the match. 72! They were garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back