List Mgmt. Rebuild or refresh?

Rebuild or refresh?

• Rebuild

Votes: 71 35.1%
  • Refresh

Votes: 131 64.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotchin is an interesting one. He is currently on 281 games played. If he plays all remaining games this year it will leave him with 14 to reach 300 next season, not guaranteed by any stretch with his aging body.
Dimma thought we could contend this year and so Edwards has been carried. Does some clever things but has been sub average for 2 years.. and is a waste of a spot. Caddy, Edwards & Lambert are forwards, not really inside players like Cotchin. Tarranto's salary is going to be expensive. 750k ....so yeah, maybe need Cotch retiring too to afford him.
Or draft an inside mid play him and Cotch 14 or so each... Cotch's latest injury is not his usual hammy, it was a broken bone. I'd go that route and try and get Hopper next year.

Dimma thought we could contend this year and so Edwards has been carried. Does some clever things but has been sub average for 2 years.. and is a waste of a spot. Caddy, Edwards & Lambert are forwards, not really inside players like Cotchin. Tarranto's salary is going to be expensive. 750k ....so yeah, maybe need Cotch retiring too to afford him.
Or draft an inside mid play him and Cotch 14 or so each... Cotch's latest injury is not his usual hammy, it was a broken bone. I'd go that route and try and get Hopper next year.

If we fall low enough we might be able to get a good inside mid. Might even be able to trade into the first round to, seems to be a few good prospects

JR is not retiring, especially when other spuds are far worse
Do you honestly believe JR's output deserves another contract? imo I think he should have retired in 2020, His good moments during games over the past few years have masked the fast decline in his forward abilities. I think we need to move on.

Do you honestly believe JR's output deserves another contract? imo I think he should have retired in 2020, His good moments during games over the past few years have masked the fast decline in his forward abilities. I think we need to move on.

How can you say JR is less deserving of some of our others? At least he provides a contest, kicks goals provides experience and performs a role at the very minimum. We have guys on our lists that have never been good enough

How can you say JR is less deserving of some of our others? At least he provides a contest, kicks goals provides experience and performs a role at the very minimum. We have guys on our lists that have never been good enough
I personally dont like his contest work, I think he drops a lot of marks and goes to ground too often, hes lost his leap and if he does jump he'll misread it and give away a freekick. Like I said His goal kicking is okay and his IQ is still sharp, that masks a lot of his decline that I think is hurting us.

Easily. Hes in the top 20 in the league for total goals despite missing a couple of games and having had to play quite a few games without Lynch taking the best defender. We have no one queuing up behind him ready to take over either. He should definitely go around again.

Easily. Hes in the top 20 in the league for total goals despite missing a couple of games and having had to play quite a few games without Lynch taking the best defender. We have no one queuing up behind him ready to take over either. He should definitely go around again.
Yeah I know, Chol who would of taken Jacks spot is currently at the GC and kicked 38 goals and can also ruck.

Yeah I know, Chol who would of taken Jacks spot is currently at the GC and kicked 38 goals and can also ruck.
Chols gone. And he averages the same amount of goals per game. Would you have preferred we delisted a club legend and future hall of famer 2 years early to keep Chol on? Not for me.

Chols gone. And he averages the same amount of goals per game. Would you have preferred we delisted a club legend and future hall of famer 2 years early to keep Chol on? Not for me.
What I'm saying is who knows what potential we could find, who could step up, what we could get to the club, Jack has had his time.

I see Jack (33), Edwards (33), Lambert (30) probably Martin (31) and obviously Caddy (30) calling time.

Cotchin prooooooaaaabably 1 more year.

End of next year will be probably be Grimes (32) Cotchin (33), Prestia (31) and Tarrant (34).

Wild card is Pickett. Will be 31 in Jan 2023 but I reckon he could go til the end of 2024 and play another 2 seasons.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to make the hard calls simple as that the past is the past keep a few experience heads still performing with kids and rejuvenate pies did it and reaping rewards.

This expression of hit the draft is strange

Draft picks are not the be all end all and still a lottery in many ways , unless you have a top 3 pick and some occasions top 5 then it is a lottery
We have alot of doubters here about RCD , Ross , Dow etc and the proven failures of Conca , Lennon , Ellis , Griffiths etc

We will most likely have a pick 8-10 and norths 19 and our 2nd 28-30
We are not getting a Dusty , Jack , Cotchin , Rance with these picks and would have to be extremely lucky to get 1 A grader

So a known quality mid like Toranto , Hopper might be the better play this year and we have hit the draft hard last year
Just thinking about it 2 players like Toranto & Hopper could be the 2 players that transform our side and lift us back into top 4 but 2 kids most likely wont

I would happily cough up our first 2 picks for these 2 guys which are top quality mids and we should have ample cap space with departures
Caddy , Lambert , Edwards , CCJ , Chol , Higgins in the last 2-3 years

I reckon long term Biggie makes it into the back 6/7, and it doesn't hurt to keep Miller as depth as well as to play VFL. We won't be pressed for list spots at the end of this year
Wouldn't put the house on Biggie making it. Just don't see it. Did ok in the ruck on the weekend but looks timid. IMO

We need to make the hard calls simple as that the past is the past keep a few experience heads still performing with kids and rejuvenate pies did it and reaping rewards.

Pies were forced to do it and outside of the Daicos boys who they were gifted are reliant on the same players they were when they were a kick from making a GF and winning one.

If anything your example of using Collingwood is all the more reason why we should be going for ready made talent to go for one more. We have a few young players in Cumberland, Gibcus, MJR and potentially a few others who next season should be ready to permanently cement their spots and with a better run with injuries plus 1 maybe 2 additions at the trade table there is zero reason why we can't contend next year.

Last edited:
Wouldn't put the house on Biggie making it. Just don't see it. Did ok in the ruck on the weekend but looks timid. IMO

Yeah, still a prospect. He is a rookie isn't he? I think he will take a little while. I think the ruck helps him because he can develop more in the play. He is just very raw. Will he ever develop enough, not sure

This expression of hit the draft is strange

Draft picks are not the be all end all and still a lottery in many ways , unless you have a top 3 pick and some occasions top 5 then it is a lottery
We have alot of doubters here about RCD , Ross , Dow etc and the proven failures of Conca , Lennon , Ellis , Griffiths etc

We will most likely have a pick 8-10 and norths 19 and our 2nd 28-30
We are not getting a Dusty , Jack , Cotchin , Rance with these picks and would have to be extremely lucky to get 1 A grader

So a known quality mid like Toranto , Hopper might be the better play this year and we have hit the draft hard last year
Just thinking about it 2 players like Toranto & Hopper could be the 2 players that transform our side and lift us back into top 4 but 2 kids most likely wont

I would happily cough up our first 2 picks for these 2 guys which are top quality mids and we should have ample cap space with departures
Caddy , Lambert , Edwards , CCJ , Chol , Higgins in the last 2-3 years
Yeah the draft isn't the only play anymore the way the movement is in the trade period every year, is your best bet these days of getting dramatic improvement year to year. draft can take a lot of time to bear the fruit.
End of 2016 trade period we bring in Nankervis, Prestia & Caddy and dramatically go from 13th to premiers.

Yeah the draft isn't the only play anymore the way the movement is in the trade period every year, is your best bet these days of getting dramatic improvement year to year. draft can take a lot of time to bear the fruit.
End of 2016 trade period we bring in Nankervis, Prestia & Caddy and dramatically go from 13th to premiers.

Lol, we also had a young Dusty, Cotch and co. and even Graham in a few games,

I think we need to hit the draft, the list is a balls up, can't see viable trades happening unless Cotch and JR have backloaded contracts.

You can only be successful with shitty players for so long requiring the guns to carry the load.

At some stage the crap has to be moved on and that takes time with some of these stupid contracts. It is not as bad as Collingwood but I think list management have drunk some cool aid recently and its affecting them not seeing the woods for the trees

Last edited:
Lol, we also had a young Dusty, Cotch and co. and even Graham in a few games,

I think we need to hit the draft, the list is a balls up, can't see viable trades happening unless Cotch and JR have backloaded contracts.

You can only be successful with shitty players for so long requiring the guns to carry the load.

At some stage the crap has to be moved on and that takes time with some of these stupid contracts. It is not as bad as Collingwood but I think list management have drunk some cool aid recently and its affecting them
We have been going to the draft pretty much every year? while we have been winning premierships.

We got Lynch as a free agent.

Our drafting has not been great imo over the 4-5 years.

We have been going to the draft pretty much every year? while we have been winning premierships.

We got Lynch as a free agent.

Our drafting has not been great imo over the 4-5 years.

We haven't had the picks,

Because of stupid contracts Mansell and Castagna will have to leave next year

This year have to be Martyn, Lambert, Edwards, Parker, Aarts and I am not sure who else

Eventually the skewed favouritism was going to bring the list undone some how apart from a lack of top draft picsk

We haven't had the picks,

Because of stupid contracts Mansell and Castagna will have to leave next year
We have had good enough picks to get good players if look where a lot of good players are taken in drafts.

Go look at the last 5 drafts of the top 10 and I bet you will see a lot of duds you can get great players in picks 20s-30s.

Back