Draft Expert Chris25's 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
I've been sharing my draft board throughout the year on the Fremantle page, but haven't gotten around to creating a thread here. I guess it's about time...

The Big Board

1. Will Ashcroft (180cm, 76kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
2. George Wardlaw (182cm, 81kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
3. Mattaes Phillipou (192cm, 82kg midfielder from SA)
4. Bailey Humphrey (184cm, 86kg midfielder from Vic Country)
5. Elijah Tsatas (186cm, 79kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
6. Aaron Cadman (194cm, 88kg forward from Vic Country)
7. Harry Sheezel (184cm, 77kg forward from Vic Metro)
8. Isaac Keeler (197cm, 88kg forward from SA)
9. Jedd Busslinger (197cm, 85kg defender from WA)
10. Darcy Jones (175cm, 67kg midfielder from WA)

11. Matthew Jefferson (195cm, 76kg forward from Vic Metro)
12. Elijah Hewett (186cm, 82kg midfielder from WA)
13. Brayden George (185cm, 87kg forward from Vic Country)
14. Jhye Clark (181cm, 77kg midfielder from Vic Country)
15. Charlie Clarke (182cm, 75kg forward from Vic Metro)
16. Oliver Hollands (184cm, 71kg midfielder from Vic Country)
17. Lachlan Cowan (186cm, 78kg defender from Tasmania)
18. Cam McKenzie (187cm, 80kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
19. Reuben Ginbey (188cm, 81kg midfielder from WA)
20. Harry Lemmey (199cm, 93kg forward from SA)

21. Harry Barnett (202cm, 93kg ruck from SA)
22. Lewis Hayes (197cm 81kg defender from Vic Metro)
23. Jakob Ryan (188cm, 72kg defender from SA)
24. Coby Burgiel (183cm, 76kg midfielder from Vic Country)
25. Sam Gilbey (188cm, 71kg defender from WA)
26. Edward Allan (194cm, 82kg midfielder from WA)
27. Alwyn Davey Jnr (181cm, 74kg forward from Vic Metro)
28. Jed Adams (194cm, 89kg defender from WA)
29. Max Michalanney (190cm, 75kg defender from SA)
30. Jaspa Fletcher (184cm, 73kg midfielder from Queensland)

31. Mitch Szybkowski (186cm, 80kg midfielder from Vic Country)
32. Jacob Konstanty (176cm, 70kg forward from Vic Country)
33. Jaiden Magor (185cm, 79kg forward from SA)
34. Adam D'Aloia (184cm, 84kg midfielder from SA)
35. Henry Hustwaite (194cm, 84kg defender from Vic Country)
36. Max Gruzewski (193cm, 84kg forward from Vic Metro)
37. Jed Hagan (175cm, 73kg midfielder from WA)
38. Oli Hotton (181cm, 79kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
39. Blake Drury (177cm, 73kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
40. Jake Walker (183cm, 80kg midfielder from SA)

41. Nick Sadler (179cm, 74kg midfielder from SA)
42. Josh Weddle (192cm, 89kg defender from Vic Metro)
43. Kobe Ryan (182cm, 68kg midfielder from SA)
44. Harry Cole (186cm, 77kg forward from WA)
45. Jaxon Binns (182cm, 73kg midfielder from Vic Country)
46. Archie Lovelock (178cm, 72kg midfielder from SA)
47. Phoenix Foster (196cm, 85kg forward from SA)
48. Taj Campbell-Farrell (185cm, 84kg midfielder from Vic Country)
49. Hudson O'Keefe (201cm, 91kg ruck from Vic Metro)
50. Tom Scully (201cm, 83kg forward from SA)

The unlucky 5: Anthony Munkara, Hugh Davies, Harvey Gallagher, Finn Emile-Brennan, Caleb Mitchell

Keeler might be the most widely ranked player this year, but I think Hustwaite will divide opinion almost just as much. I like him and it's hard to ignore what he's done at NAB League level as a 194cm midfielder, but...I'm just not sure. I think he's a defender at the top level, and even then he falls into a strange in between zone. Could be a real all or nothing pick
Bit of Kemp or Francis there?

What’s your knock’s on Fletcher he’s rated a top 20 player by most at the moment ?

Fletcher very much fits in with the third point I made, that the draft is wide open after the first 20 or so - it perhaps would have been better to rank players in groupings as opposed to a numbered list. My tiers would be 1-4, 5-14, 15-24, 25-40. And Fletcher is in that last one for me, so realistically I could do this list again next week and he could be at #25.

On him specifically, I wouldn't say I have any real knocks. I think he does everything well, just without any elite traits. Good run, good speed, good skills, good player. One thing that might see him go earlier and push into the first round is a lack of wing prospects in the draft, as most of the run in this draft is off half back - so that would be his point of difference. I'm sure Brisbane would love him to go at 39 though.

Bit of Kemp or Francis there?

Kemp is the one I was thinking of. Hustwaite is definitely more proven as a midfielder, he's performing well at NAB League level and looks the part. Whereas Kemp was more of a what if as a midfielder. So I wouldn't question a team selecting him as a mid, I just think it'd be a big call to make. Because as much I like him, I think he's best suited as a defender.

Having said that, I thought Patrick Cripps was an average midfielder who couldn't kick in his draft year. And that the only reason he even got drafted was because he was lucky enough to have a growth spurt. So what do I know. I don't even know why people read my thread.

Having said that, I thought Patrick Cripps was an average midfielder who couldn't kick in his draft year. And that the only reason he even got drafted was because he was lucky enough to have a growth spurt.
Still can't, but did have another growth spurt. :shrug:

I've been sharing my draft board throughout the year on the Fremantle page, but haven't gotten around to creating a thread here. I guess it's about time...

The Big Board

1. Will Ashcroft (180cm, 76kg midfielder from Vic Metro)

I find it hard to fault too much about his game, and his pure numbers as an 18 year old are just as good as Daicos' last year. He might not have the prototypical size for the modern midfielder, but he does everything else you could want. Really smart and skilled player, and does his best work forward of centre as a midfielder. I just don't see him not having an excellent career.

2. Harry Sheezel (184cm, 77kg forward from Vic Metro)

Strong contender to be a BigFooty favourite, probably the one who has solidified himself most as an early pick over the last month. He brings the flair and versatility to a midfield heavy top of the draft. I except he'll start across half forward for a few years before moving into the middle, a bit like Connor Rozee at Port Adelaide. This isn't a phantom draft, but he should be the North pick if Ashcroft is Brisbane bound.

3. Mattaes Phillipou (192cm, 82kg midfielder from SA)

He's been one of my personal favourites all year, although I acknowledge this is higher than he'd go at the moment. It's a shame he wasn't quite at full fitness at the Champs, because he was dominant at SANFL U18 level. Can play as a forward marking target, but is a game changer in at the centre bounces with his strength and clearance work coupled with his kicking. Easily the premier tall mid in the draft for me, and also one of the youngest in the pool.

4. George Wardlaw (182cm, 81kg midfielder from Vic Metro)

Wardlaw is a victim of recency bias, he was my #1 heading into the Champs but then obviously missed out through a hamstring injury. I expect he'll be straight back into contention for the top pick when he returns to the field. Like so many young midfielders coming through these days, he can go forward and impact the scoreboard in addition to being a dominant inside mid. Such an important skill, but also just taken for granted from the top prospects.

5. Isaac Keeler (197cm, 88kg forward from SA)

I'd say Keeler is my favourite prospect in the draft pool, and definitely the most purely talented in my opinion. I suspect he'll divide opinion amongst recruiters, I could see him rated anywhere from top 10 to top 50. Depends how highly you rate potential versus risk, how creative you're willing to get, patience levels. Supremely skilled and athletic for a KPP, and has the all important ability to be a second ruck. I particularly like him up the ground in a more traditional roaming CHF role.

6. Jedd Busslinger (197cm, 85kg defender from WA)

Arguably the top KPP in the draft, he'd be a genuine #1 chance if he was a forward instead of a defender. I'd be taking Busslinger over any of the key defenders taken in the last few drafts, just a shame he had to go in for shoulder surgery. But he's the modern day defender, able to play on the #1 forwards but a genuine offensive threat with his intercepts and rebounding.

7. Elijah Tsatas (186cm, 79kg midfielder from Vic Metro)

Another of the bigger names coming into the season who has been troubled with injury, Tsatas is well and truly still in the top 5 mix. Perhaps the best outside mid on offer early in the draft with his run and carry coupled with his valuable height on a wing. But don't stick him with the 'outside' tag, he can go inside and mix it with the best. A strong finish to the year will have him in top 3 contention.

8. Aaron Cadman (194cm, 88kg forward from Vic Country)

Key forwards were all the rage heading into the Champs and while it didn't quite go to plan, it wasn't all bad news. Cadman stepped up to position himself as the best of the group. He ticks the boxes in terms of strength, marking and positioning as a key forward. His work if the ball hits the ground is improving as the season goes on too, key to avoid being one dimensional. He just kicks goals. And behinds.

9. Elijah Hewett (186cm, 82kg midfielder from WA)

Played one of the best games of the Champs against Vic Metro, he was in everything and finished off his work in the midfield well with a couple of goals. But went missing the next week and didn't quite reach those initial highs again. But he's an explosive player, strong with and without the ball. I think his stocks will only increase as we get closer to the draft.

10. Harry Lemmey (199cm, 93kg forward from SA)

Considered a potential #1 pick heading into the season, it's fair to say 2022 has been disappointing for Lemmey. Still playing well at SANFL U18 level, continuity and consistency has been an issue this year - and not always in his control. He may end up going late if he doesn't finish the season well, but I think he'll prove to be a bargain. Not many KPFs have the overall athletic ability, marking and foot skills that Lemmey does. I find it hard to imagine he doesn't become a solid #2 forward at a minimum.

11. Jhye Clark (181cm, 77kg midfielder from Vic Country)
12. Matthew Jefferson (195cm, 76kg forward from Vic Metro)
13. Oliver Hollands (184cm, 71kg midfielder from Vic Country)
14. Brayden George (185cm, 87kg forward from Vic Country)
15. Reuben Ginbey (188cm, 81kg midfielder from WA)
16. Cam McKenzie (187cm, 80kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
17. Jakob Ryan (188cm, 72kg defender from SA)
18. Harry Barnett (202cm, 93kg ruck from SA)
19. Sam Gilbey (188cm, 71kg defender from WA)
20. Mitch Szybkowski (186cm, 80kg midfielder from Vic Country)

21. Lewis Hayes (197cm 81kg defender from Vic Metro)
22. Henry Hustwaite (194cm, 84kg defender from Vic Country)
23. Oli Hotton (181cm, 79kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
24. Bailey Humphrey (184cm, 86kg midfielder from Vic Country)
25. Lachlan Cowan (186cm, 78kg defender from Tasmania)
26. Alwyn Davey Jnr (181cm, 74kg forward from Vic Metro)
27. Nick Sadler (179cm, 74kg midfielder from SA)
28. Blake Drury (177cm, 73kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
29. Max Michalanney (190cm, 75kg defender from SA)
30. Jed Hagan (175cm, 73kg midfielder from WA)

31. Kobe Ryan (182cm, 68kg midfielder from SA)
32. Adam D'Aloia (184cm, 84kg midfielder from SA)
33. Archie Lovelock (178cm, 72kg midfielder from SA)
34. Anthony Munkara (188cm, 74kg forward from NT/SA)
35. Jonti Schuback (183cm, 75kg defender from Vic Country)
36. Darcy Jones (175cm, 67kg midfielder from WA)
37. Hudson O'Keefe (201cm, 91kg ruck from Vic Metro)
38. Jackson Broadbent (201cm, 100kg ruck from WA)
39. Jaspa Fletcher (184cm, 73kg midfielder from Queensland)
40. Tom Scully (201cm, 83kg forward from SA)

41. Jake Walker (183cm, 80kg midfielder from SA)
42. Jacob Konstanty (176cm, 70kg forward from Vic Country)
43. Billy Dowling (187cm, 82kg midfielder from SA)
44. Callum Verrell (187cm, 79kg defender from Vic Metro)
45. Luke Teal (188cm, 80kg defender from Vic Metro)
46. Josh Weddle (192cm, 89kg defender from Vic Metro)
47. Phoenix Foster (196cm, 85kg forward from SA)
48. Jaxon Binns (182cm, 73kg midfielder from Vic Country)
49. Lloyd Johnston (180cm, 80kg defender from NT)
50. Finn Emile-Brennan (181cm, 72kg defender from Vic Country)

General Draft Notes

- for starters, I'm sure many of the heights and weights may be outdated but it's just what I'm going off at the moment

- I think this draft is looking like an alright crop, but more open than others. I suspect the top 3 picks at the moment would be Ashcroft, Wardlaw and Sheezel - with probably Tsatas and Clark looking in. But then the rest of the first round really opens up, and you could almost throw a blanket over the 5-20 group. Strong likelihood that needs could play a more factor more than usual, as well as the usual homegrown factor

- from the second round onwards? Forget about trying to predict anything. Draft boards will look very different amongst all the teams. I could easily keep shuffling my list from 20 onwards. And there's guys who missed out on my 50 who could be as high as the 30s depending on how I feel on any particular day

- biggest strength of the draft is looking like half backs and medium sized defenders. But if you want a KPD and miss out on Busslinger and Hayes, I'd probably wait until much later. Rucks is reasonably strong this year, same can't be said for forwards of all sizes

Player Notes

- typically I underrate smalls and it comes back to bite me, but I quite like Drury, Hagan and Jones this year. I think they all have enough to make it at AFL level, and in a variety of roles. Wouldn't be surprised if Drury and Jones in particular pushed up higher

- Keeler might be the most widely ranked player this year, but I think Hustwaite will divide opinion almost just as much. I like him and it's hard to ignore what he's done at NAB League level as a 194cm midfielder, but...I'm just not sure. I think he's a defender at the top level, and even then he falls into a strange in between zone. Could be a real all or nothing pick

- there's always going to be a South Australian flavour to my board, especially in the middle portions. But I think Lovelock and Walker are deserving of their spots on the list, both had really strong Champs. Lovelock is a good half forward and just looks the type who will have a surprisingly decent career, like Brad Close at Geelong. And Walker is a strong and versatile mid prospect, someone with decent upside. Also lots to work with with Foster as a backup ruck or developmental KPP at either end of the ground

- few random favourites of mine are Hollands, George and Ginbey in that mid first round mix. As well as Hayes, Humphrey and O'Keefe looking into the second round
Great work Chris ! Admit I’ve been critical of your SA rankings in past and ratings of Lemmey but really enjoyed this - well done !

Agree re Hayes in particular as really like him as well as difficulty in rating Keeler and Hustwaite

Agree re Jakob Ryan vs Kobe too

The one I reckon you miss there is McCallum- big fan other than his kicking which I think can be corrected with training ( like Doedee early days )

I’m not huge on Barnett but quite like Foster …. Wondering if Verall SA might be as good if not better than Barnett as a ruck

In terms of mids if someone can extract Hewett’s best form consistently he might be a real bargain around pick 10

Fletcher very much fits in with the third point I made, that the draft is wide open after the first 20 or so - it perhaps would have been better to rank players in groupings as opposed to a numbered list. My tiers would be 1-4, 5-14, 15-24, 25-40. And Fletcher is in that last one for me, so realistically I could do this list again next week and he could be at #25.

On him specifically, I wouldn't say I have any real knocks. I think he does everything well, just without any elite traits. Good run, good speed, good skills, good player. One thing that might see him go earlier and push into the first round is a lack of wing prospects in the draft, as most of the run in this draft is off half back - so that would be his point of difference. I'm sure Brisbane would love him to go at 39 though.
Reckon footy IQ , decision making and tackling are better traits of his over speed

Not many more balanced inside / outside mids even though I think he starts wing and ends up centre square mid

Kemp is the one I was thinking of. Hustwaite is definitely more proven as a midfielder, he's performing well at NAB League level and looks the part. Whereas Kemp was more of a what if as a midfielder. So I wouldn't question a team selecting him as a mid, I just think it'd be a big call to make. Because as much I like him, I think he's best suited as a defender.

Having said that, I thought Patrick Cripps was an average midfielder who couldn't kick in his draft year. And that the only reason he even got drafted was because he was lucky enough to have a growth spurt. So what do I know. I don't even know why people read my thread.
Hustwaite sounds like a balls on the line call for the recruiters. Is he Andrejs Everitt or Tom Stewart? Cale Morton or Noah Anderson? Pick him and find out.

Great work Chris ! Admit I’ve been critical of your SA rankings in past and ratings of Lemmey but really enjoyed this - well done !

Agree re Hayes in particular as really like him as well as difficulty in rating Keeler and Hustwaite

Agree re Jakob Ryan vs Kobe too

The one I reckon you miss there is McCallum- big fan other than his kicking which I think can be corrected with training ( like Doedee early days )

I’m not huge on Barnett but quite like Foster …. Wondering if Verall SA might be as good if not better than Barnett as a ruck

In terms of mids if someone can extract Hewett’s best form consistently he might be a real bargain around pick 10

McCallum is one I have around the mark - some of the other guys to have just missed included him, Will Verrall, Caleb Mitchell, Jason Gillbee and Harry Cole. Disposal is the main reason he isn't higher, just a touch too inconsistent at the moment. But he does everything else well for his position. I guess the other question is what exactly is that position - will he able to play as an undersized KPD, is he a third or fourth tall, will a team send him forward again.

For me, Barnett is the best overall ruck prospect. O'Keefe is probably the better ruckman, but Barnett has him covered around the ground plus with the versatility to play as a KPP. Will Verrall isn't that far off though, and I'd be more than comfortable taking him - even if 18 year old rucks aren't always a hot commodity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take Phillipou in a heart beat at West Coast for pick 2.
Almost underage and gives me Bont vibes. Yes please.

I'd happily take him there personally, I don't think he's quite in that conversation yet - not the consensus one anyway. It'd be hard to go past Wardlaw if he was available.

Saw in another phantom that had Fremantle taking Keeler is that a possibility and would it suit us

I would love to get Keeler, exactly the type of talent we could use in our forward line. He might even be someone we can position ourselves for in the second round if we do trade away our first. I'd gladly take Lemmey too - worst case, he's a younger version of Taberner.

McCallum is one I have around the mark - some of the other guys to have just missed included him, Will Verrall, Caleb Mitchell, Jason Gillbee and Harry Cole. Disposal is the main reason he isn't higher, just a touch too inconsistent at the moment. But he does everything else well for his position. I guess the other question is what exactly is that position - will he able to play as an undersized KPD, is he a third or fourth tall, will a team send him forward again.

For me, Barnett is the best overall ruck prospect. O'Keefe is probably the better ruckman, but Barnett has him covered around the ground plus with the versatility to play as a KPP. Will Verrall isn't that far off though, and I'd be more than comfortable taking him - even if 18 year old rucks aren't always a hot commodity.
Agree re McCallum flaws

hi chris welcome back
Whats your take on Angus Anderson (Allies) seems little analysis on allies players. Took Hewett apart one on one and imho a unique talent as a defensive inside mid who also get his own ball. Worth a late pick?

I'd happily take him there personally, I don't think he's quite in that conversation yet - not the consensus one anyway. It'd be hard to go past Wardlaw if he was available.

I would love to get Keeler, exactly the type of talent we could use in our forward line. He might even be someone we can position ourselves for in the second round if we do trade away our first. I'd gladly take Lemmey too - worst case, he's a younger version of Taberner.

Wardlaw and Ashcroft seem like a clear top two, then there is a little gap between the rest.

hi chris welcome back
Whats your take on Angus Anderson (Allies) seems little analysis on allies players. Took Hewett apart one on one and imho a unique talent as a defensive inside mid who also get his own ball. Worth a late pick?

I think there's enough to work with to justify a late pick, especially a rookie selection. I don't think he goes any higher than that, being an overage player and all that. But he has the size and strength you look for in your inside mids, runs hard both ways. Looks to me like his disposal has improved a bit since last year. Has also added another bow to his game, showing he can go forward as well. Bit of Will Brodie to him in that he's good at what he does, just a case of whether a team has the spot for him.

If we're talking Allies players though...I've got a real soft spot for Lloyd Johnston from the NT. Would love a team to give him a chance, versatile small/medium defender who could also be developed forward. Otherwise I have Lachlan Cowan as the top Allies prospect, he's not getting the attention he was earlier in the season. Then Jaspa Fletcher, Anthony Munkara, Tom McCallum, Harry Rowston, Nick Madden and Jason Gillbee as the other main draft hopefuls. Plus Ethan Grace, Ryan Eyers and Fletcher Hart as other 19 year olds in with a shot.

So what has happened to D‘Aloia? 9 months ago looked like being the first South Aussie selected.

I don't think anything has happened as such. He performed really well last year as a 17 year old, and has performed even better this year for SA. He just plays one of those positions that often gets overlooked - and us amateur draft watchers get sucked in by more exciting players. But if you're a recruiter and your job is on the line, he'd be a great solid pick from the second round onwards.

He's an excellent inside mid, arguably one of the best in the draft. Consistent, works hard defensively. You know exactly what you're getting from him. Of the things perhaps keeping him out of the top 20, he doesn't quite have the same athleticism as someone like an Andy Brayshaw in that similar role. Not overly damaging by foot, doesn't really hit the scoreboard. I think he goes in the 20-35 range - hopefully earlier than later, I think he's a better player than a previous SA mid in Harry Schoenberg who went at #24 for example.

In terms of being the first SA player selected, it's more a case of him being one of the few who was playing last year. Which means he gets put to the front of mind. I personally think ranking 16 and 17 year olds is a bit pointless. Underage form is important, but it's the first few months of their draft year that you really start to get a true picture.

I wasn't going to change my rankings for a while, but I couldn't not move Bailey Humphrey up. I was a fan pre injury, and I'm sold now on his return. Everyone else just moved down a spot to accommodate his move.

Seen much of Seth Campbell C25, be interested to know why he's not on your list :)

The short answer would be because I don't think he's top 50...

I've seen a bit of him, but if I'm only going to watch one or two matches then Tasmania isn't usually at the top of my list. And unfortunately for Campbell, he probably didn't really have the Champs he'd have liked. He's a smart, crafty forward from what I've seen - and doesn't look out of place when played further up the ground either. There's enough talent there to justify a late or rookie pick, and everyone loves a late December birthday. But he really does look small out there.

There's a bit of Jye Menzie about him. And it might be that he has to follow a similar path to the AFL.

The short answer would be because I don't think he's top 50...

I've seen a bit of him, but if I'm only going to watch one or two matches then Tasmania isn't usually at the top of my list. And unfortunately for Campbell, he probably didn't really have the Champs he'd have liked. He's a smart, crafty forward from what I've seen - and doesn't look out of place when played further up the ground either. There's enough talent there to justify a late or rookie pick, and everyone loves a late December birthday. But he really does look small out there.

There's a bit of Jye Menzie about him. And it might be that he has to follow a similar path to the AFL.
Thanks mate, no I actually agree with you.
I have been asked to justify it a few times, I think he'll be a PSD/Rookie pickup. A lot of Tasmanians do not agree.
He actually reminds me a bit of Orazio Fantasia, as he's really good beneath his knees in the same way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back