List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Madden is 5cm taller than Cumberland and has better pace and as good agility. If we had done the sane thing yesterday and picked him we could easily have moved him onto Cumberland. Madden has shown himself to be a very solid defender at AFL level whenever he has gotten the chance the last couple of seasons.
With you all the way with Madden, I am a big fan, also I have posted before he lifts to the level, to my eye he plays better in better company.

I can see him going. He has to. Too much of a liability on the backline, and is not adaptable enough to play any other position. A team building for a flag can't continue to support a player who has only a few good games a year. Hang him out for a trade, and who knows, another team might give him a chance. That way Brisbane can gain a few trade points for him. If there are no nibbles, then he just has to be delisted. I suggested cutting him lose about this time last year, and I was accused of wanting to shoot Bambi. Consider this hunting season. Lester has to come in for Gardiner next week.

The next problem is, where is the replacement for the backline? Besides ruckmen, the only 190cm+ players are Lester, Payne and Fullarton. Payne could develop, and he has a bit of speed, but he has no belief. He needs to gain confidence in his size and ability. Fullarton, on the other hand, does not appear to be progressing much. The lack of options highlight a real list management flaw that needs to immediately be addressed during the trade period.

Looking forward, besides Gardiner, it appears McStay is gone, Robbo is done, Lyon has done his job for the club and doesn't appear to have much left, and it is difficult to say, but Mathieson deserves a go at another club. I know that is ripping the soul out of the team, but it has to happen eventually.

Who's signing him ?

Herald Sun -

FREE AGENCY COMPENSATION​

Dan McStay (Brisbane Lions)

West Coast secured end-of-first-round compensation when Scott Lycett left on a five-year deal worth $650,000 a season, but McStay’s five-year $600,000 per season contract just falls short of that.

Will it mean the Lions secure only second-round compo and a pick in the 30s?

The Lions have told McStay they know he’s leaving and that he should just concentrate on the season, but he again went goalless on Sunday, his fifth game without a goal in six weeks.

5/6 games no goals. How is he getting a game ?
More broadly, how the hell does someone like him deserve a 5 year/3 million contract by one of the big Victorian clubs, by seasons end :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we have to play hardball with McStay and tell him that since he is not planning to be with us long term, we really need to be getting games into someone who will be a longer term player.

We have been nice guys for too long - trying our best to accommodate players wishes (which is not a bad thing) but getting taken advantage of when the likes of McStay just waltz around.

Compare that to Peter Bell who clearly comes off looking like a dic at the trade table playing hardball (eg telling Lobb he is staying, playing hard ball with us on Neale and a few others) but it has served Freo well - yes Bell looks like a dickhead but he is prepared to cop that on himself to serve best interests of his club. That's true leadership right there.

I mean we could do with more size in the midfield but it’s not a horrendously bad group

Size isn't the issue imo. It's the ability to run both ways.

Surely we have to play hardball with McStay and tell him that since he is not planning to be with us long term, we really need to be getting games into someone who will be a longer term player.

We have been nice guys for too long - trying our best to accommodate players wishes (which is not a bad thing) but getting taken advantage of when the likes of McStay just waltz around.

Compare that to Peter Bell who clearly comes off looking like a dic at the trade table playing hardball (eg telling Lobb he is staying, playing hard ball with us on Neale and a few others) but it has served Freo well - yes Bell looks like a dickhead but he is prepared to cop that on himself to serve best interests of his club. That's true leadership right there.

Our main focus is on the next 2 months

Size isn't the issue imo. It's the ability to run both ways.

Wonder if we can gaslight the entire competition into thinking we drafted Brayshaw AND Rayner.

Remember when we signed Brayshaw and kindly loaned him to Freo?

Don't know why Fremantle haven't sent him back yet. Getting a bit cheeky

Is it really a weakness in our squad that we have or a weakness with how we play?

We tend to sit back when things are not going our way and wait for it to turn.

We don't have a Selwood type or Viney type who will go in and literally rip the ball off opposition hands to take it in our direction. If you want to call it a weakness, that's the most prominent one in the middle for us.

We tend to sit back when things are not going our way and wait for it to turn.

We don't have a Selwood type or Viney type who will go in and literally rip the ball off opposition hands to take it in our direction. If you want to call it a weakness, that's the most prominent one in the middle for us.

We do. Dev Robertson did so last week against the Suns. Nearly dragged us over the line. He and Neale together in the midfield could be quite the combo if he can perform to the same standard he's brought to the VFL

We do. Dev Robertson did so last week against the Suns. Nearly dragged us over the line. He and Neale together in the midfield could be quite the combo if he can perform to the same standard he's brought to the VFL

Should've been in the middle all season in my view along with Prior. I wish he was given the run in middle like Hipwood got in the forward line for last 10 weeks. We'd be laughing by now about our midfield potentially rejuvenated. We always find a way to screw these things up. :(

Surely we can nab one of the Giants mids that is apparently on the table due to salary cap problems, I wonder what it would take to get Tom Green over the line, I like the limited snippets I have seen of him.. does he gut run defensively dlanod ? Or does Hopper offer more? Taranto?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back