Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

My suggestions:

a Central/North Melbourne team: orange and black
a South/East Melbourne team: purple and green
a West Melbourne team: pink and yellow
No need to invent entirely new brands when we already have strong existing teams to work with.

The AFLX kits will be more than sufficient.

aflxjumpers2048.jpg

Don’t just get rid of them, relocation would be better Saints to Cairns and North to Canberra
Canberra already have a team. Plus even if they didnt their population is less then 400 thousand. Victoria currently has a team per 650 thousand people. It would make no sense to move a club from football mad victoria with one team per 650 thousand to a non football mad region which only has less then 400 thousand to support it.

I think the time is right for the AFL to scrap all 10 existing Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega franchised Vic clubs. The existing Vic clubs are a massive drain on the system - several only survive by selling home games (Haw, NM, Rich and Melb). Cricket benefited enormously from abolishing the state T20 teams and franchising, and I think the AFL could benefit in the same way.

I think the following works:
  • a Central/North Melbourne team.
  • a South/East Melbourne team.
  • a West Melbourne team

Maybe split Central and North to make four Vic teams?
24 years without a flag and the club yet again in turmoil over the infamous camp - and this is the solution to Adelaide’s woes?

I like it. The Victorian clubs can go back to playing only games against each other with a proper draw. A return to the 80s but now with memberships and infrastructure at an all time high. The mega franchises (which have worked so well in other sports btw) can play each other - Greater Western Sydney vs Melbourne Eastern Suburbs (and surrounding Regional areas) is bound to attract tens if not hundreds of viewers and spectators.

Canberra already have a team. Plus even if they didnt their population is less then 400 thousand. Victoria currently has a team per 650 thousand people. It would make no sense to move a club from football mad victoria with one team per 650 thousand to a non football mad region which only has less then 400 thousand to support it.
So just erase them out of existence, should have done that to Geelong in 2000

So just erase them out of existence, should have done that to Geelong in 2000
Should be done to any club that doesn't have a training facility in the suburb they are named after.

Collingwood, Hawthorn and Saints all mismanaged their clubs future and failed to secure adequate real estate in the suburbs of their origin, effectively spraying roundup on their suburban roots.

Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Footscray, North Melbourne and Melbourne are the only real clubs left in Victoria.

Fold Collingwood into Carlton and give Port the right to wear their prison bar jumper that they so desperately cry about
Fold the Hawks and Saints into eachother and make some Chapel Street team (would've went alright in the Rat Pack days I imagine)

I think the time is right for the AFL to scrap all 10 existing Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega franchised Vic clubs. The existing Vic clubs are a massive drain on the system - several only survive by selling home games (Haw, NM, Rich and Melb). Cricket benefited enormously from abolishing the state T20 teams and franchising, and I think the AFL could benefit in the same way.

• a West Melbourne team

Smartest Crows fan

Should be done to any club that doesn't have a training facility in the suburb they are named after.

Collingwood, Hawthorn and Saints all mismanaged their clubs future and failed to secure adequate real estate in the suburbs of their origin, effectively spraying roundup on their suburban roots.

Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Footscray, North Melbourne and Melbourne are the only real clubs left in Victoria.

Fold Collingwood into Carlton and give Port the right to wear their prison bar jumper that they so desperately cry about
Fold the Hawks and Saints into eachother and make some Chapel Street team (would've went alright in the Rat Pack days I imagine)
Footscray and North are the only clubs to train in their named suburb.

Princes Park is in Carlton North not Carlton

Might be a good merger... North Carlton Blues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time?

Nah, the time to do that was 35 years ago.

These days fewer teams == fewer games == fewer TV deal dollars. And that's 10x more important to the MBAs running the business of the Australian Football League.

I'd go so far as to say, baring any massive ecumenic disaster (like much worse than the last 3 years, obvs) we'll never see fewer teams. We might see more teams though. I saw in the paper some deep thinker wants to build an Aussie Vegas in the desert. Pencil in another team there!

Princess Park is actually in Carlton North not Carlton. And Essendons home base is at Tullamarine. Kardinia Park is also in South Geelong.

• a West Melbourne team

Let's go South East Melbourne Tigers!

Happy to have a monopoly on the next 100 flags being won by Victorian super clubs.

I like it

north and saints, easy cut
dogs, just as easy.
Geelong, love your culture but you're too far out and that stadium is too narrow
hawks, sorry last in first out. and that jumper......

so we're left with the big 4 + the Dees

Pies, Tigers & Dons consistently pull in the bigger crowds.
Blues can do, but Dees have a better song, jumper and emblem. plus you gotta have a Melbourne team

Sorry Carlton.
haha.....take out Anzac day and Dream time and Essendon crowds come right back into the pack.

Carlton have the second highest attendance with no blockbuster games or public holiday games.

Essendon are sitting 4th out of the big 4, so they can get moved the EDFL.

Obvious joke thread, but there are too many teams in Melbourne. Why do we even need the Bulldogs and their 7 supporters?

• a West Melbourne team

Only if Adelaide and Port Power merge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back