Opinion Top 50 my life

Remove this Banner Ad

You saw Matthews play?

I’ve looked at hours of footage/games and read stats also heard about him through others. Not even close to GAS. Just look at a small highlights real (yes I know not everything is just about highlights but it’s the best I can give atm), the average footballer today does this on a daily basis, only thing that makes matthews good what the volume rather than peak skill like GAS:

Don’t even need to bring up GAS highlights cause they are obviously better but this Dusty goal is better than any goal Lethal has done:

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve looked at hours of footage/games and read stats also heard about him through others. Not even close to GAS. Just look at a small highlights real (yes I know not everything is just about highlights but it’s the best I can give atm), the average footballer today does this on a daily basis, only thing that makes matthews good what the volume rather than peak skill like GAS:

Don’t even need to bring up GAS highlights cause they are obviously better but this Dusty goal is better than any goal Lethal has done:

Highlight reals lol. Are you serious? I saw both play for their entire careers. Matthews was better

The average footballer can go 44 and 11?

I want to watch the games you watch, because that sounds ******* awesome.

Noone before, during, or after has come even remotely close to what Matthews did.

I’ve looked at hours of footage/games and read stats also heard about him through others. Not even close to GAS
I’m as big a fan of GAS as anyone, but the player whose “stats” Matthews doesn’t come close to doesn’t exist.

My top 50 in my lifetime in order (just a bit of fun) will edit and adjust on arguments this is done in one take, close on 50 and will be Geelong bias (WARNING)

Ablett jnr
Voss
Ablett snr
Judd
Franklin
Carey
Lockett
Cox
R Harvey
Pavlich
Hird
Mcleod
Scarlett
Riccutio
Hocking
Silvagni
Bartel
Cousins
Fyfe
Black
Gawn
Goodes
Martin
J Selwood
S Johnson
B Johnson
Akermanis
J Cameron
Lloyd
J Brown
N Reiwoldt
A Rance
P Matera
T Hawkins
L Ball
S Crawford
C Rioli
Modra
C Enright
Bontompelli
B Fevola
Good list mate. I'll have a crack. I started watching late 70s.

1. S Michael
2. W Carey
3. L Matthews
4. C Judd
5. G Ablett Snr
6. G Ablett Jnr
7. T Lockett
8. P Daicos
9. D Cox
10. P Matera
11. D Jarman
12. M Pavlich
13. N Buckley
14. G Williams
15. M Voss
16. M Rioli
17. J Hird
18. S Pendlebury
19. G Moss
20. G McKenna
21. B Quinlan
22. J Ackermanis
23. R Harvey
24. S West
25. C Bradley
26. A Lynch
27. K Hunter
28. P Vander Haar
29. S Black
30. N Fyfe
31. B Doull
32. M Mitchell
33. P Roos
34. C Lewis
35. J Krackour
36. S Mitchell
37. D Kemp
38. D Brereton
39. S Kernahan
40. B Picken
41. A McLeod
42. P Dangerfield
43. P Krackour
44. P Kelly
45. L Baker
46. G Melrose
47. J Dunstall
48. G Wanganeen
49. D Kickett
50. P Featherby

Last edited:
Good list mate. I'll have a crack. I started watching late 70s.

1. S Michael
2. W Carey
3. L Matthews
4. C Judd
5. G Ablett Snr
6. G Ablett Jnr
7. T Lockett
8. P Daicos
9. D Cox
10. P Matera
11. D Jarman
12. M Pavlich
13. N Buckley
14. G Williams
15. M Voss
16. M Rioli
17. J Hird
18. S Pendlebury
19. G Moss
20. G McKenna
21. B Quinlan
22. J Ackermanis
23. R Harvey
24. S West
25. C Bradley
26. A Lynch
27. K Hunter
28. P Vander Haar
29. S Black
30. N Fyfe
31. B Doull
32. M Mitchell
33. P Roos
34. C Lewis
35. J Krackour
36. S Mitchell
37. D Kemp
38. D Brereton
39. S Kernahan
40. B Picken
41. A McLeod
42. P Dangerfield
43. P Krackour
44. P Kelly
45. L Baker
46. G Melrose
47. D Brereton
48. G Wanganeen
49. D Kickett
50. P Featherby

Brereton is on twice, and Dunstall seems to be at least 42 or 43 spots too low. Very parochial going for a WAFL player as the greatest ever.

Highlight reals lol. Are you serious? I saw both play for their entire careers. Matthews was better

Read what I put in brackets man. Ffs. I know it’s not everything. I specifically put that in so I wouldn’t get a response like yours.

The average footballer can go 44 and 11?

I want to watch the games you watch, because that sounds ******* awesome.

Noone before, during, or after has come even remotely close to what Matthews did.

In terms of the skill of the plays, yes. But as I said volume is what made matthews good rather than peak skill of the plays imo. He was a stats peddler like Neale albeit a lot better. AFL fans seems to think consistency = peak performance it doesn’t. If I had to pick a player for 1 game in a GF. Lethal wouldn’t be at the top of the list. However for a whole season he would be near the top.

In terms of the skill of the plays, yes. But as I said volume is what made matthews good rather than peak skill of the plays imo. He was a stats peddler like Neale albeit a lot better. AFL fans seems to think consistency = peak performance it doesn’t. If I had to pick a player for 1 game in a GF. Lethal wouldn’t be at the top of the list. However for a whole season he would be near the top.

You could say that about literally anybody though. Matthews probably couldn’t take a mark like Andrew Walker or Nathan Krakouer

He kicked 900 goals as a Rover, resting Forward Pocket. How many did he need to kick to not be a stat padder?

I had a look and I can see 1 time where Dusty kicked goals with 25% of his possessions, like Matthews did - as a Rover. But Matthews did it 9 times. If we decide that 20% of possessions as a Rover being goals is still pretty damn good, Matthews did it more than 20 times. This is kicking 4+ goals and getting 20+ possessions. At 25 and 3 or better he did it over 70 times. In 330 games. So nearly once a month on average across his career he would go 25 and 3 or better.

I wish we had a couple of stat padders like him in our team now.

Dusty has done 25 and 3 a total of 11 times. In supposedly the greatest ever year by a player (2017) he did it once. In Matthews' best year he did it 11 times. In other words, in a single season, Matthews did what Dusty has done in his entire career.

Because he is the actual greatest player to have ever played. Noone before, during or after comes close to what he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could say that about literally anybody though. Matthews probably couldn’t take a mark like Andrew Walker or Nathan Krakouer

It then becomes a debate over does his consistency outweigh peak performances of other players. Imo it doesn’t for somebody like GAS but does somebody like Eddie Betts. Hope I’m making it clear enough. I always look at the whole career.

He kicked 900 goals as a Rover, resting Forward Pocket. How many did he need to kick to not be a stat padder?

I had a look and I can see 1 time where Dusty kicked goals with 25% of his possessions, like Matthews did - as a Rover. But Matthews did it 9 times. If we decide that 20% of possessions as a Rover being goals is still pretty damn good, Matthews did it more than 20 times. This is kicking 4+ goals and getting 20+ possessions. At 25 and 3 or better he did it over 70 times. In 330 games. So nearly once a month on average across his career he would go 25 and 3 or better.

I wish we had a couple of stat padders like him in our team now.

Dusty has done 25 and 3 a total of 11 times. In supposedly the greatest ever year by a player (2017) he did it once. In Matthews' best year he did it 11 times. In other words, in a single season, Matthews did what Dusty has done in his entire career.

Because he is the actual greatest player to have ever played. Noone before, during or after comes close to what he did.

If you look at Lethals goals. Although he did a million of them they were all very similar, pretty much regulation shots, the snaps on the boundary and ones on the run I see every day. Fact is since the 80s players know how to do more with the ball even if they are less accurate sometimes. Even his marks are not has good as somebody like Howe’s or Bolton’s and Dusty is better with the don’t argues.

For example, Kevin Bartlett’s 1980 GF was unreal. Kicked like 7 or something, none of the goals wowed me. It was just purely the amount the made it a BOG performance, this is how I see matthews and a lot of VFL players. They could kick a lot because of 1v1 defence. Look at Matthews highlights again and look how crap the defenders are, you don’t get that much space today.

Never seen him a goal like the Dusty one I showed, pretty much all of Betts top goals, GAS, Buddy etc

It then becomes a debate over does his consistency outweigh peak performances of other players. Imo it doesn’t for somebody like GAS but does somebody like Eddie Betts. Hope I’m making it clear enough. I always look at the whole career.

Not if the person with the lower ‘apparent’ skill level does what they do to such a standard that it blanks everything else out.

What made GAS great was that he could do the freakish with such alarming regularity that it made even players like Daicos look inconsistent by comparison.

Senior was a far far more ‘brilliant’ player than Lockett but Lockett led out and marked so consistently well that it made him just as big an asset.

Matthews didn’t have to be taking screamers and kicking left foot bananas to make an impact. It’s where other unseen ‘skills’ like reading the game, knowing where to position yourself, fitness, determination etc etc start to play a role for players.

It’s why cats fans in recent times would prefer a Dangerfield to a Mitch Duncan: Duncan is a silky smooth kick who rarely if ever misses a target and he gets plenty of ball. He can’t win the ball or somehow get it out of traffic like Dangerfield can, can’t position himself to take possession like Dangerfield can, can’t go forward and kick 2-3 in quick time like Dangerfield can because he simply doesn’t have the same overall depth of footballing ability either seen or unseen that Dangerfield has

If you look at Lethals goals. Although he did a million of them they were all very similar, pretty much regulation shots, the snaps on the boundary and ones on the run I see every day. Fact is since the 80s players know how to do more with the ball even if they are less accurate sometimes. Even his marks are not has good as somebody like Howe’s or Bolton’s and Dusty is better with the don’t argues.

For example, Kevin Bartlett’s 1980 GF was unreal. Kicked like 7 or something, none of the goals wowed me. It was just purely the amount the made it a BOG performance, this is how I see matthews and a lot of VFL players. They could kick a lot because of 1v1 defence. Look at Matthews highlights again and look how crap the defenders are, you don’t get that much space today.

Never seen him a goal like the Dusty one I showed, pretty much all of Betts top goals, GAS, Buddy etc

Do Matthews’ goals get less points

Not if the person with the lower ‘apparent’ skill level does what they do to such a standard that it blanks everything else out.

What made GAS great was that he could do the freakish with such alarming regularity that it made even players like Daicos look inconsistent by comparison.

Senior was a far far more ‘brilliant’ player than Lockett but Lockett led out and marked so consistently well that it made him just as big an asset.

Matthews didn’t have to be taking screamers and kicking left foot bananas to make an impact. It’s where other unseen ‘skills’ like reading the game, knowing where to position yourself, fitness, determination etc etc start to play a role for players.

It’s why cats fans in recent times would prefer a Dangerfield to a Mitch Duncan: Duncan is a silky smooth kick who rarely if ever misses a target and he gets plenty of ball. He can’t win the ball or somehow get it out of traffic like Dangerfield can, can’t position himself to take possession like Dangerfield can, can’t go forward and kick 2-3 in quick time like Dangerfield can because he simply doesn’t have the same overall depth of footballing ability either seen or unseen that Dangerfield has

That’s why people generally think GAS is better/more talented than Lockett despite Lockett kicking more goals. You guys subconsciously agree with me as you do it with the above players, I’m just using it for current players today which oldies don’t want to do for some reason.

That’s why people generally think GAS is better/more talented than Lockett despite Lockett kicking more goals. You guys subconsciously agree with me as you do it with the above players, I’m just using it for current players today which oldies don’t want to do for some reason.

1. I don’t have any beef with people who think Lockett was as good. He was an amazing player at two clubs and rarely played in good sides.

2. What makes people choose Ablett if they have to was that he more or less statistically matched Lockett but did it having played all his football before 30 from a half forward flank. So naturally people are going to wonder how he was so prolific from a position where he shouldn’t have been - the answer is because he could do the freakish with such regularity that it overrode the challenges of his position.

When he turned 30 and went to full forward and bombed nearly 400 goals in 3 seasons it showed he could also play as a pure full forward where he relied more on the ‘normal’ skills of a full forward like leading out and converting set shots

1. Matthews (HAW)
2. Voss (BRI)
3. Ablett Snr (GEE)
4. Carey (NM)
5. Kernahan (CAR)
6. Buckley (COL)
7. Ablett Jnr (GEE, GCS)
8. Lockett (STK, SYD)
9. Judd (WCE, CAR)
10. Flower (MEL)
11. Hird (ESS)
12. Quinlan (FOO, FIT)