So everyone is signed bar
Frampton
Himmelberg
Rowe
Turner
Borlase
Newchurch

Strachan and Butts as Rookies are signed for next year

Can Strachan and Butts stay as Rookies or do they have to go on the senior last next year.
Shouldn't davis be on this list???

It depends on whether the swap to the rookie list rule is still in play and a few other rules but keeping it simple, 3 main listers have to be taken off the list by trade or delisted.
We have two potential contracted players we may attempt to trade, Crouch and Sholl.
Then we have the list above and Davis as potential delistees (tho I doubt Borlase or Newchurch are in line to be delisted).
You could get away with as little as trading Sholl, delisting Davis and say Frampton (or even keep Billy and delist Rowe if Rankine comes in).
The club has said it sees the drafting as mostly finished.
That leaves room for two draftees (or two trade ins).
If Strachan and Butts do need to come on the main list, we could do that and then draft rookies.
That's probably the minimum scenario, after that, if you want to go further, go your hardest.

It depends on whether the swap to the rookie list rule is still in play and a few other rules but keeping it simple, 3 main listers have to be taken off the list by trade or delisted.
We have two potential contracted players we may attempt to trade, Crouch and Sholl.
Then we have the list above and Davis as potential delistees (tho I doubt Borlase or Newchurch are in line to be delisted).
You could get away with as little as trading Sholl, delisting Davis and say Frampton (or even keep Billy and delist Rowe if Rankine comes in).
If Strachan and Butts do need to come on the main list, we could do that and then draft rookies.
That's probably the minimum scenario, after that, if you want to go further, go your hardest.
Wasn't there talk, which was mentioned a few weeks ago, that list sizes would be readjusted to pre-Covid levels, this year ??

Yes Davis as well. Have edited

Wasn't there talk, which was mentioned a few weeks ago, that list sizes would be readjusted to pre-Covid levels, this year ??
No talk by anyone associated with the AFL or anyone who's a part of their media team.

We can hope, but there's no suggestion of it happening so far.

This is where Vader has a chance to shine as the answer is a little more complicated due to potential list size reversion to pre-COVID levels.
On the simplest level, you are meant to make three picks (or make three list changes) each year.

This has most probably been asked and answered a few times, but out of the current uncontracted players, whats the maximum we can keep and how many draft picks would that leave?

At the moment, we don't know as the AFL hasn't announced anything.

That said, under the rules they used for 2022, we need to make three draft selections (where doesn't matter, and this might just be a 2022 only thing to make up for the fact COVID really limited the draft) and we were able to keep rookies on the rookie list for a fourth year. The flow-on effect with the second one is we are forced to upgrade both Jordan Butts and Kieran Strachan as both are contracted for 2023 if they aren't traded, instead of doing so last year. We also don't have any open spots on our list coming into the off-season, as we currently sit at 38/6/2 (+ Turner, I can't remember where he sits list wise), though we're not forced into delisting either of our cat B rookies this year (unless we want to select another academy player in this spot).

So, we need to make at least four senior list spots open to cover everything we so far want to do, assuming we're trading in Rankine and selecting Max as an F/S, as we are forced into two upgrades (and these don't seem to be included in the draft anymore). So it seems like every senior listed player who is without a contract needs to be delisted (seeing we have 3 OOCs on our senior list), and we'd need to delist Turner/trade someone out. We would have 0 open national draft picks in that scenario, considering our last spot/excess/whatever would be covering bringing Max to the club (or one pick if we declined our F/S, which would be a dumb thing to do). We would however, have 2 rookie list draft spots which we would be forced to use without a rule amendment. Should we opt to keep Turner, it's safer to assume that we'd have to delist Davis.

I.e. with Hinge signing, we're gambling on list sizes increasing, or we are very confident there is going to be 1-2 trade requests out of Adelaide/we're about to be paying out contracts.

p.s. It really looks like Turner was just some senior reinforcement to win a SANFL flag at this point, as the pick almost seems like it's covering the scenario where list sizes don't get expanded.

Last edited:
No talk by anyone associated with the AFL or anyone who's a part of their media team.

We can hope, but there's no suggestion of it happening so far.
IIRC the clubs were pushing the adjustment of list sizes, in conjunction with the increasing of the soft cap ....in the Clubs mid-season catchup with Gil

Really can't believe what I'm reading here between McClure and Healy. I mean we've joked about the double standard in how VIC media react to SA players moving home compared to Vic players, but TBH I haven't seen such a shameless campaign in a long time.

Where's their bleeding hart for GWS with Tim Taranto or Tanner Bruhn?

At the moment, we don't know as the AFL hasn't announced anything.

That said, under the rules they used for 2022, we need to make three draft selections (where doesn't matter, and this might just be a 2022 only thing to make up for the fact COVID really limited the draft) and we were able to keep rookies on the rookie list for a fourth year. The flow-on effect with the second one is we are forced to upgrade both Jordan Butts and Kieran Strachan as both are contracted for 2023 if they aren't traded, instead of doing so last year. We also don't have any open spots on our list coming into the off-season, as we currently sit at 38/6/2 (+ Turner, I can't remember where he sits list wise), though we're not forced into delisting either of our cat B rookies this year (unless we want to select another academy player in this spot).

So, we need to make at least four senior list spots open to cover everything we so far want to do, assuming we're trading in Rankine and selecting Max as an F/S, as we are forced into two upgrades (and these don't seem to be included in the draft anymore). So it seems like every senior listed player who is without a contract needs to be delisted (seeing we have 3 OOCs on our senior list), and we'd need to delist Turner/trade someone out. We would have 0 open national draft picks in that scenario, considering our last spot/excess/whatever would be covering bringing Max to the club (or one pick if we declined our F/S, which would be a dumb thing to do). We would however, have 2 rookie list draft spots which we would be forced to use without a rule amendment. Should we opt to keep Turner, we'd have to also delist Davis.

I.e. with Hinge signing, we're gambling on list sizes increasing, or we are very confident there is going to be 1-2 trade requests out of Adelaide/we're about to be paying out contracts.

p.s. It really looks like Turner was just some senior reinforcement to win a SANFL flag at this point, as the pick almost seems like it's covering the scenario where list sizes don't get expanded.
Wow, appreciate the effort, but my heads spinning

Really can't believe what I'm reading here between McClure and Healy. I mean we've joked about the double standard in how VIC media react to SA players moving home compared to Vic players, but TBH I haven't seen such a shameless campaign in a long time.

And GWS are a bottom 3 side! Absolute disgrace to pouch their players.

The "jokes" we make are because we've seen it with our own eyes. It happened with Danger, Lever, McGovern. It happened with Dawson coming the other way. It's not a myth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, appreciate the effort, but my heads spinning

Absolutely fair, this off-season is going to be a nasty one if those list sizes aren't expanded, seeing we've got ourselves in quite a pickle.

Frampton/Rowe/Himmelberg career at Adelaide is looking to be finished at this point though, barring a list management delist.

Absolutely fair, this off-season is going to be a nasty one if those list sizes aren't expanded, seeing we've got ourselves in quite a pickle.

But Frampton/Rowe/Himmelberg career at Adelaide is looking to be finished at this point.
How the * haven’t the AFL decided on lists yet? Could it be they have and we just don’t know?

How the * haven’t the AFL decided on lists yet? Could it be they have and we just don’t know?

No idea. The only thing I could think is holding it up is the CBA is due next year and the AFL is going to want to cry poor with covid to prevent an increase to the salary cap (and an expanding list damages that argument). Or they know and haven't made it public.

Last year list rules was announced early August, so we are due, either way.

He said he is keen to stay on and has settled into Adelaide really well. Got spoken to by 16 clubs prior to the draft and didn’t know he would be going to Adelaide but was excited to move interstate. Sloane and Keays have been great mentors - were the key bits I heard. Was working while it was on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hi Who was this interview with?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Why are the AFL dragging the chain on announcing this? Surely it’s a “no brainer”.

Crowds have returned, and with players being unavailable due to “health and safety protocols” it makes sense for squads to return to pre-Covid numbers.

With clubs making list management decisions and contract offers the AFLPA should be all over the AFL to make the call, one way or another soon. What’s the point of the AFL holding off?

In fairness to Healy - he has been pretty much against the raid of the Suns.

Was outspoken a year ago about Ben King being poached from the Suns by Victorian clubs.

Frampton/Rowe/Himmelberg career at Adelaide is looking to be finished at this point though, barring a list management delist.
Frampton and Rowe replaced by Butts and Srachan
Crouch/Sholl traded and one would almost assume the treatment of Crouch was to get him to move on. Replaced by Rankine and Michalanny.

Davis delisted and can Himmelberg if not traded go to rookie list if no increase in list spots and then our 2nd pick is used.

Turner desisted and someone drafted.

Revisiting footage I hope we keep our 1st and draft Philipou as I think our pick will be where he goes.

Frampton and Rowe replaced by Butts and Srachan
Crouch/Sholl traded and one would almost assume the treatment of Crouch was to get him to move on. Replaced by Rankine and Michalanny.

Davis delisted and can Himmelberg if not traded go to rookie list if no increase in list spots and then our 2nd pick is used.

Turner desisted and someone drafted.

Revisiting footage I hope we keep our 1st and draft Philipou as I think our pick will be where he goes.
Twomey has Phillipou in the 10 - 15 range currently doesn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back