Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

You were the one who made a big deal about "touching the ball".

I didn't bring it up.

Therefore your question is invalid. Not worth answering. Silly.
Your big defence is he was going for the ball. Laughable… if it didn’t make a person vomit, concussed and miss 2 games of footy. Albeit let’s say for your sake he got a fingernail on it, could we argue a finger? Possibly. What was Cripps duty of care when second to the ball? No one said you can’t be physical, but AFL 2022 knows well and good if it wants to avoid a law suit, you can’t knock blokes out, especially when you had other options.
And no a marking contest from 1963 doesn’t change that. It’s 2022 that’s the rules.

so what penalty do carlton pay for wasting everyone's time and money? i expect to see cripps gather every loose ball by jumping with his arms at his side like some kind of fish, given thats how he thinks you're supposed to gather the ball.

2 weeks wasnt enough, they should have taken it and ran considering pickett got 1 week for a legal shepherd that neither hit the player in the head nor injured him. honestly, it wasnt that far off tom 'dog' stewarts act.

Your big defence is he was going for the ball. Laughable… if it didn’t make a person vomit, concussed and miss 2 games of footy. Albeit let’s say for your sake he got a fingernail on it, could we argue a finger? Possibly. What was Cripps duty of care when second to the ball? No one said you can’t be physical, but AFL 2022 knows well and good if it wants to avoid a law suit, you can’t knock blokes out, especially when you had other options.
And no a marking contest from 1963 doesn’t change that. It’s 2022 that’s the rules.
i want to see cripps contest the next loose ball by jumping 2 feet off the ground with his arms at his side. then we'll know he was being genuine.

Well apparently that’s how he gets the ball every time. Jumps 2 feet off the ground, arms tucked in, and the ball magically falls in his arms
No footy player jumps up to take a mark. Ever. Never happens.

You win.

No footy player jumps up to take a mark. Ever. Never happens.

You win.

It's very rare for an umpire to pay a mark from a handball but it has happened before.

I've even seen an umpire take a mark. What a moment.

I'm curious what grounds the appeal is being based on.

look everyone, another carlton person still thinking it was a marking contest
Obviously it wasn't - one of the players left the ground. That never happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's very rare for an umpire to pay a mark from a handball but it has happened before.
Of course - seriously my mistake in typing on my phone while watching TV and not thinking properly about the term I was using.

Of course - seriously my mistake in typing on my phone while watching TV and not thinking properly about the term I was using.
Not to suggest it's happening but to acknowledge a reality in situations like this.. I think I could write quite a paper on the same video shown to two groups with a bias in each direction and get two completely different versions of events.

I remember Nic Suban and Chris Masten having an incident in which the evidence was teeth marks on Suban's arm, and we will ignore all testimony from the players involved. I was reading that not only was there no bite, or teeth marks, but if there were it was Suban forcing his arm into Masten's mouth.

It's quite amazing.

Not to suggest it's happening but to acknowledge a reality in situations like this.. I think I could write quite a paper on the same video shown to two groups with a bias in each direction and get two completely different versions of events.

I remember Nic Suban and Chris Masten having an incident in which the evidence was teeth marks on Suban's arm, and we will ignore all testimony from the players involved. I was reading that not only was there no bite, or teeth marks, but if there were it was Suban forcing his arm into Masten's mouth.

It's quite amazing.
That's fine but Cripps was contesting the ball. Did it badly and another player was hurt.

It happens.

Does it really matter that he was targeting the ball or if it was a 50/50 contest? If you bump someone in the head and they get concussed you get suspended.

Save your pennies Carlton.

Unless you are Trent Cotchin, Willie Rioli, Tom Hawkins and Joel Selwood.

This Selwood "accidental collision" was awarded as "low impact contact".

I see a format now. They should have awarded Cripps's as "low impact" - if they can award this contact as "low impact".
Selwood is the bandaged warrior I guess so that gives him some dispensation.

Cripps' should be at most 1 week penalty. Some might question if he may be at a disadvantage as he doesn't play for Richmond or Geelong, but that is a low blow and not the right way to go around this. In future, he should never contest for a ball in the air unless he is 100% sure he knows he won't injure someone? I guess that is the rule. Maybe he can lose some weight or height as well, so he has less opportunity to harm other players.

Tribunal chairperson Jeff Gleeson explained the jury’s decision.

“He could’ve taken the ball with his arms outstretched, which would’ve meant there was no act of bumping at all ... Cripps changed his shape prior to impact from simply attempting to gather the ball to a bumping position in which he was airborne, that would very likely cause high contact to an opponent.”

So mid-air, operating within 1 milisecond - Cripps could have turned his brutish body flat and thought about what were the softest parts of his body and ensured that was the point of contact. Maybe he could have done a full-mid air loop and had his buttocks be the first point of contact?
I am guessing Jeff Gleeson has NEVER played football in his life.

efbf07aa35e95242d44bbbfa7489f926

Last edited:
That's fine but Cripps was contesting the ball. Did it badly and another player was hurt.

It happens.

I just had a look at the footage from that elevated side on perspective and I agree with you.

He got to the contest too late and put on a heavy bump, jumping into the air. Ah Chee had the ball in his hands when Cripps makes contact.

So I see it as a clumsy, late contact where he chose to leave the ground and a player was concussed.

Decision should stand.

6549 days.
I don't know if you know, but I'll repeat it.

I don't follow Essendon, was in fact a member, not anymore. So yes, that's how many days since Essendon won a final.

Find it strange though that a Carlton supporter is talking about finals etc. When off the top of my head they've won I think one, possibly two finals in that same time frame. And not to mention the real last successful season was in the year 2000 when Essendon won the premiership, I believe Carltons last premiership was last century? The mid-late 90s? I dont know, what do I know?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back