Roast Team selections need a bake.

Remove this Banner Ad

So what happens to Lynch and JR8 when Ryan’s resting forward? Does one head to the bench?

Picking a team is as much about positions, structures and rotations as it is about the players

The only times Miller appeared behind the ball vs Port was when Port had the ball and trying to attack, and Miller had followed the opposition ruck in Teakle or Finlayson to fill the whole, the same way Nank does on a regular basis.

There were many times Miller played as the 3rd fwd/resting ruck. Think there were times when all 4 of Miller, Nank, Lynch and Jack were in our fwd 50, with Nank taking a throw in ruck contest, and the other 3 positioned within the arc, so having Ryan come in doesn't really change that.

You need to finish top four to be in the best position to win a flag. Team selection for most of the year cost us games that stopped us getting there.
Aarts Castagna Soldo RCD Gibcus and Edwards were all played for too long and not dropped quick enough for their poo performances.
The MC probably threw away a flag this year.

You need to finish top four to be in the best position to win a flag. Team selection for most of the year cost us games that stopped us getting there.
Aarts Castagna Soldo RCD Gibcus and Edwards were all played for too long and not dropped quick enough for their poo performances.

Mate our stupidity cost us top 4 same as that final no composure , smarts , school boy errors been our issue all year.

Injuries to Lynch, Dusty, Grimes and Prestia also contributed significantly.

We did not need gibcus in the team. We had miller to go back if needed. We looked too tall balance wise in the d50.

In terms of selections it was baffling. Hes clearly not ready. He was dropped to the vfl and brought back after doing nothing. Just crazy.

I said before the game drop Tarrant or Broad.

In hindsight Stack had to be in in the backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is MC?

oh match committee I gather.

Aarts has to go end of year, and Martyn. We need more depth and Dimma spin the magnets more to get the right combinations against the right opposition set-ups

Last edited:
Agree mate , but we lost some winnable games bc some blokes constantly got games over young blokes that were performing in the vfl.
Spot on.
I'm ok playing a 60% Dusty as ... well .... Dusty is Dusty.
But you knew at some point he's be cooked.
Made the medi-sub twice as important as ever and we blundered giving it to Edwards, who outside of one tackle when he had a running head start, was lacking and way off the pace - as he has been all year.
We needed a sub, who - if needed - could produce four quarters, or a good half - ours couldn't. Sadly, I might add.
Prestia just exacerbated the problem as we ended up being three men down.

Mind you - re selections - we did the right thing at selection this year, we win a few close ones against North, GC etc. and we aren't even in Brisbane or a knockout game.

Chance gone begging.

Spot on.
I'm ok playing a 60% Dusty as ... well .... Dusty is Dusty.
But you knew at some point he's be cooked.
Made the medi-sub twice as important as ever and we blundered giving it to Edwards, who outside of one tackle when he had a running head start, was lacking and way off the pace - as he has been all year.
We needed a sub, who - if needed - could produce four quarters, or a good half - ours couldn't. Sadly, I might add.
Prestia just exacerbated the problem as we ended up being three men down.

Mind you - re selections - we did the right thing at selection this year, we win a few close ones against North, GC etc. and we aren't even in Brisbane or a knockout game.

Chance gone begging.
Losing 20 points bc of poor selection cost us a top four spot. People just refuse to see it.

Losing 20 points bc of poor selection cost us a top four spot. People just refuse to see it.

Yep .. a certain degree of arrogance from our MC this season.
That feeling we can just carry people and we'll win and we're good enough to carry blokes, when our premierships were won on hard work across the board.

Yep .. a certain degree of arrogance from our MC this season.
That feeling we can just carry people and we'll win and we're good enough to carry blokes, when our premierships were won on hard work across the board.
Exactly. You need a full 22 players not carrying a player to retirement or gifting games to young who haven’t performed in the vfl

How about the shameful treatment of Edwards in his last game. Made to wear the bib. Disgusts me.

With respect, great career, influential in three flags, but lucky to be in the 23 last night.
Form has not warranted a game for some time and he was ordinary in his one half.
Would have been more puffed than Dusty in the third quarter playing a full game.

I never thought we'd be winning a flag this year. Selectors wanted 2 rucks so we tried Soldo and it failed Miller has been excellent. Nank being captain means we cant try Ryan yet. Around the league a lot of tall KPFS have turned into rucks. Ladhams, Finlayson and ?? went alright last night. We started the year with George and Aarts we now how MRJ & Cumbo and Sonz, have been revelations and the fwd line is good. JR & Lynch...
Ross is now best 22. Players probably did stay in the side too long but if it's gibcus its great development. The 300 game milestone will rear its head next year with Cotch and JR, both had good years. Short was thrown in the middle, Baker down back was good as was Balta. Hugo on the wing looks OK too.

Miller, Gibcus, Tarrant, Broad, Vlas and Baker, Rioli is good player material to work with. I hope Rutten returns. But in fairness backline will only be so good if the midfield is allowing the ball to come in too easily. Then with the "Richmond interpretation" of rules... these poor sods are up against it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back