NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a great move by North.
Offer a big and lengthy contract and bring the games highest profile coach to the club.

They are all in on Clarkson and have shown their hand. But this is what they need to do to get him, and finally fill a key position with a competent candidate.

Of course, it also means that if he says no, they're stuffed. "They threw the kitchen sink at him and he still said no" will have pretty much everyone doubtful about dealings with the club (sponsors, other coaches, and players)

Really, even a significant delay (and if I was him, I'd be waiting to see what the AFL says about priority picks, etc. before committing) and North will just be left in limbo, hanging around while everyone else decides what they're doing in coming years.

North have gone all in on this bet. I wonder how good their hand is.

Just like everyone on that board was behind Gaff, Kelly, Martin, and Buckley coming to the club.

The only difference is this time it might actually happen.

If it does, I give you until the mid-season bye of 2024 before the Sack Clarksons thread reaches 50 pages 🧻
I was never on board with Buckley, always seemed amazingly stupid. I have huge doubts over a five year deal for Clarkson. Not so much on Clarkson's ability, but five years would be a big risk if he it turns out he isn't really into it any more.

Of course, it also means that if he says no, they're stuffed. "They threw the kitchen sink at him and he still said no" will have pretty much everyone doubtful about dealings with the club (sponsors, other coaches, and players)

Really, even a significant delay (and if I was him, I'd be waiting to see what the AFL says about priority picks, etc. before committing) and North will just be left in limbo, hanging around while everyone else decides what they're doing in coming years.

North have gone all in on this bet. I wonder how good their hand is.
It’s their best hand. They had to play it.
If they don’t get him, there was nothing else they could do.

Have you seen how *ed our side is? Desperation is all that remains.

Clarko is a champion coach but approving a five year deal based off his most recent years is madness.

Hopefully the year off refreshed him as his ideas proved very stale at the Hawks in his last two seasons.

Clarko is a champion coach but approving a five year deal based off his most recent years is madness.

Hopefully the year off refreshed him as his ideas proved very stale at the Hawks in his last two seasons.
Yeah, as above, I'm not keen on five years without some performance measures built in.
I sort of understand it, as I can't see North anywhere near finals for minimum three years regardless of the coaching team. But its not ideal, there needs to be some measure after year two and three. (Next year is probably zero wins no matter what, unless we get another game against a WAFL reserves team - totally unfair to have any measure in year one.)

Yeah, as above, I'm not keen on five years without some performance measures built in.
I sort of understand it, as I can't see North anywhere near finals for minimum three years regardless of the coaching team. But its not ideal, there needs to be some measure after year two and three. (Next year is probably zero wins no matter what, unless we get another game against a WAFL reserves team - totally unfair to have any measure in year one.)

Wouldn't be so terrible if it was tied to performances but I'm not sure a basketcase administration like North would have any foresight to do such a thing.

He'd be starting at the ground floor with North though. Where Hawthorn were in 2020/21 is still an improvement on where North are now.

Absolutely heard it all. Won four flags and couldn't back it up immediately after.

Lmao. No s**t. The list was old.
He was very stubborn in 19-21.
Might not be the same at a new club, but he lost the team around him who would say no. Being surrounded by yes men wasn't good, and isn't what won us 4 flags

For all we know his manager may of got in contact with Nth and Nth have now made an offer to Clarko on their terms, if he doesn't take it because he isn't up for the challenge, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 years is a long time, but would you bother going to North for 2 or 3?

North aren't a team that has gone stale and a change of coach might be the difference. They are more Carlton under Bolton than Carlton under Teague in their development.

Hawthorn - with some generational young talent on the list - were ordinary in Clarkson's first year, OK in his second then made finals in his third. That's the sort of trajectory North should be hoping for.

Don’t really understand why anyone is making a judgement on his coaching post premierships.

He wrung as much out of that list as he possibly could. It’s not like Mitchell has taken over and turned them into world beaters.

A dynasty coach is almost never going to be the one to take on the next era anyway. If anything he probably stayed a year or two too long.

I was never on board with Buckley, always seemed amazingly stupid. I have huge doubts over a five year deal for Clarkson. Not so much on Clarkson's ability, but five years would be a big risk if he it turns out he isn't really into it any more.

Is the north board allowing any opposing views or is it 'Clarko Koolaid or **** Off'?

If I remember rightly, some of the players weren't happy with Noble because he was too harsh on them. Can you imagine what the cry babies will think when Clarko gets a hold of them?

If I remember rightly, some of the players weren't happy with Noble because he was too harsh on them. Can you imagine what the cry babies will think when Clarko gets a hold of them?
i think copping it from an iconic coaching legend will go down far easier than a list manager pretending to be a coach tell us how to play

Dennis Pagan says hello.
Pagan's hands were tied once it became clear that Carlton needed a massive rebuild and the cap cheating meant that the short-term help wasn't forthcoming. Very different to North who do at least have picks and some young talent to build around.

Malthouse is admittedly a different question but I think the problem there was that he was basically driven by spite alone and had a list that had probably already peaked. I think Clarkson is coming back into coaching for the right reasons.

Imagine the hubris required to look this particular gift horse in the mouth.
It's a more than fair concern though.

Do people forget that Clarkson coached us to losses against 18th, 17th, 16th and 15th last year, playing some of the worst footy you'd see and had us bottom 2 before the club tapped him on the shoulder?

We know Clarkson had issues with gameplans for large parts of the last 3 or more years at Hawthorn and had to tweak them at the bye to get the side late season wins.
We know Clarkson has always been an overly defensive coach that wanted his players to be somewhat robotic, when the obvious trend in AFL is to be more attacking and direct.
We know Clarkson had fall outs with staff, due to how he started to dictate what other departments were doing.
We know that the strike rate of coaches in their 50's is rather low.

Hawthorn fans owe him a great debt, and I will never question Clarkson for his attempt to win more flags, which ultimately failed, but there's a lot of things that supporters of other clubs who are chasing him should be concerned with when big money and 5 years is being thrown around.

It's a more than fair concern though.

Do people forget that Clarkson coached us to losses against 18th, 17th, 16th and 15th last year, playing some of the worst footy you'd see and had us bottom 2 before the club tapped him on the shoulder?

We know Clarkson had issues with gameplans for large parts of the last 3 or more years at Hawthorn and had to tweak them at the bye to get the side late season wins.
We know Clarkson has always been an overly defensive coach that wanted his players to be somewhat robotic, when the obvious trend in AFL is to be more attacking and direct.
We know Clarkson had fall outs with staff, due to how he started to dictate what other departments were doing.
We know that the strike rate of coaches in their 50's is rather low.

Hawthorn fans owe him a great debt, and I will never question Clarkson for his attempt to win more flags, which ultimately failed, but there's a lot of things that supporters of other clubs who are chasing him should be concerned with when big money and 5 years is being thrown around.
Your list was pretty poor last year (takes one to know one) due to not having very good players and a rough injury record. Your recruiters did a good job over the summer and guys like Gunston have been good in addition to Newcombe etc.

Our defense has been a sieve for a while now so I'm not worried about being more defensive. We have a fair bit of attacking talent for a good coach to develop and utilise.

We are pretty much at ground zero so getting in a coach who knows how a successful club should run is of great value to North. He will be worth a lot more to us than just coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back