Prediction 2023 - Best 22 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Very early to nail this down without having a trade or draft period, but we can focus on the players we have on our list to start building a consensus

Boyd Wetering Williams
Marchbank Durdin Saad

TDK Hewett Doc
Cottrell Cripps Walsh

Gov Young C Curnow
Mots Harry Durdin

Int: Newman Kennedy Cerra Martin

Emg: Kemp Carroll Fisher Jsos

Still in the mix, Pitto LOB, Setters, Stocker, Owies, Cuners, Honey. The rest of the players would at this stage be injury depth

Made some changes to roles, as I prefer to play both Young and TDK in the ruck, so have included Durdin as a KPD. Need more agility so would leave Doc in the guts. I feel that we are too reliant on Harry and Charlie, so have added Gov inside 50 and included Martin as the 7th forward

No doubt this will change after trade/draft period, and again once some preseason games kick off

Very early to nail this down without having a trade or draft period, but we can focus on the players we have on our list to start building a consensus

Boyd Wetering Williams
Marchbank Durdin Saad

TDK Hewett Doc
Cottrell Cripps Walsh

Gov Young C Curnow
Mots Harry Durdin

Still in the mix, Pitto LOB, Setters, Stocker, Owies, Cuners, Honey. The rest of the players would at this stage be injury depth

Made some changes to roles, as I prefer to play both Young and TDK in the ruck, so have included Durdin as a KPD. Need more agility so would leave Doc in the guts. I feel that we are too reliant on Harry and Charlie, so have added Gov inside 50 and included Martin as the 7th forward

No doubt this will change after trade/draft period, and again once some preseason games kick off
Nice to see some different options. i guess the big call outs here is young and gov forward.
Considering they played well in the back half would be good to get your thoughts on whether the positives up forward out way the drop off in defence?

I went with something more 'standard'

BacksNewmanWeiteringMcGovern
Half-BacksZ.WilliamsMarchbankSaad
CentreCerraCrippsDocherty
Half-ForwardsMartinMckayKennedy
ForwardsMotlopC.CurnowC.Durdin
RucksDe KoningWalshHewett
InterchangeFisherJ.SilvagniYoungCottrell
Sub:Setterfield
EmergencyObrienCarroll
BoydOwies
Rest:DefendersMidfieldersForwards
ParksPhilpFogarty
McDonaldCuninghamHoney
KempE.Curnow
S.DurdinDow
PlowmanHayes
StockerNewnes
Pittonet

Nice to see some different options. i guess the big call outs here is young and gov forward.
Considering they played well in the back half would be good to get your thoughts on whether the positives up forward out way the drop off in defence?

As I mentioned, I feel we are too predictable and reliant on Charlie and Harry. Gov along with Martin gives us more dangerous avenues. I have always loved JSos endeavour and heart, but he isn't a 2nd ruck, doesn't take many marks around the ground in that role, nor inside 50. I believe Young offers more as a CHF/ chopout ruck

So if Marchbank can stay on the park and I believe Durdin +/- can play the Young role down back, I believe that's a better balance over the ground

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with the spine, but outside of that there are plenty of considerations.

Locks:
XXXXX, Weitering, XXXXX
Saad, Young, XXXXX
XXXXX, Cerra, XXXXX
XXXXX, Cripps, Walsh
XXXXX, Curnow, XXXXX
XXXXX, McKay, XXXXX
I/C: Hewett, XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX

I'd then make some captains calls on including the following based on their exposed form, trajectory, skill sets etc.:

Preferred additions:
Newman, Weitering, Marchbank
Saad, Young, McGovern
XXXXX, Cerra, O'Brien
XXXXX, Cripps, Walsh
XXXXX, Curnow, XXXXX
Motlop, McKay, XXXXX
I/C: Hewett, Williams, Docherty, XXXXX

Then we start getting into the positions that I'd have in dispute:

Defensive wing - Cottrell incumbent, but could use Doc, Walsh and Cerra through here to open up another midfield role. Could also recruit for this spot.
Ruck - going to reserve judgement on the Pitto/TDK debate until preseason.
Forward flank - Fisher incumbent, but I could see any of Martin, Durdin, Kemp, Carroll, Cunners* or Honey fitting here.
Other forward flank - JSOS incumbent, potentially replaced by TDK if the kid can learn to forward, Martin another option - ideally a marking medium.
Forward pocket - Durdin incumbent, but the dream is to slot Breust in here for a couple of years.
Interchange - one spot left here, probably a forward, not sure if I want a smaller option here or if this is the place for a ruck/forward.

Final draft (bracketed subject to review on preseason form):
Newman, Weitering, Marchbank
Saad, Young, McGovern
[Cottrell], Cerra, O'Brien
[Pitto/TDK], Cripps, Walsh
[Fisher], Curnow, [JSOS]
Motlop, McKay, [Durdin]
I/C: Hewett, Williams, Docherty,
[Martin]

Main mid rotations from Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Hewett. Doc and Williams acting as a combined 7th defender/5th mid, think they both offer a decent point of difference in the guts without wanting to use them there full time. Kennedy squeezed out until I see if/how he returns from the injury.

No idea on the emergencies. Some mix of versatile and/or reliable role players (Kennedy, Newnes, Plowman, Owies), and younger types I like but can't fit (Boyd, Kemp, Stocker, Carroll, Honey).

Really like what Gov brings down back, but with Williams, Boyd, Marchy and Saad there's lots of exit and rebound options. Gov is also the type of forward that can win you a game if he gets the ball 20 times within 70 metres of goal. Really creative.

Playing Young at CHF as a ruck chop out depends on a number of factors:
1. Will TDK put enough size on to compete with monsters like Darcy at the stoppages while being able to burn them around the ground.
2. Little concerned about playing 2 pretty young blokes as 1st and 2nd Ruck.
3. Would it be better to allow Young to settle into a KPD role? Although I agree that Sam Durdin playing there probably offers a similar output at the moment.
4. Could we not replicate the structure somewhat by playing TDK as the CHF and Pitto in the ruck - with Lewis at CHB?

Biggest issues we need addressing IMO:
1. Transitioning the ball from D50 to F50 utilising a running midfield. I liked what Doc and even Setterfield brought - more balance to our team in the midfield.
2. F50 entry method. We need to utilise our better kicks in McGovern, Cerra, Saad to kick to a leading forward and not just bomb to a pack.

Blue__Balls

I reckon Boyd is an absolute lock in the back half.

I feel you're probably right, but I'm also not sure who he replaces.

Saad is probably the first picked in the back 6.
Newman has proven to be a key cog back there in terms of both his output and his leadership/organisation.
Weitering and Young are the key talls (unless McDonald comes back into calculations), you're not dropping one of them for a small.
McGovern and Marchy give us defensive versatility, and the former is a genuine weapon offensively.

That's the 6.

Then I've got Docherty and Williams off the bench as half back/mid rotations.

Getting Boyd in requires a tough call on someone else.

Gov forward? Don't love it.
Marchy out? Don't love it, but maybe he does it for us.
Docherty or Williams permanent wing/mid? Possible, I guess, but maybe not the best use for them.

I feel you're probably right, but I'm also not sure who he replaces.

Saad is probably the first picked in the back 6.
Newman has proven to be a key cog back there in terms of both his output and his leadership/organisation.
Weitering and Young are the key talls (unless McDonald comes back into calculations), you're not dropping one of them for a small.
McGovern and Marchy give us defensive versatility, and the former is a genuine weapon offensively.

That's the 6.

Then I've got Docherty and Williams off the bench as half back/mid rotations.

Getting Boyd in requires a tough call on someone else.

Gov forward? Don't love it.
Marchy out? Don't love it, but maybe he does it for us.
Docherty or Williams permanent wing/mid? Possible, I guess, but maybe not the best use for them.
Backs: Weiters, Young, Marchy, Saad, Newman, Boyd, Williams

Doc swaps with Williams but is mostly mid

So the issue once again, where to play McGovern...

And that's why I've got Gov down back for Boyd. He's a quick defender with a good jump, can kick the ball accurately over long distances, and generally makes good decisions. He's Boyd with an extra 10cm of height and the ability to jump. If I'm choosing between the two, I'm taking the one who can do a little more.

Although I love Gov back because of his field kicking, as long as Marchbank stays on the field (unlikely) and Kemp develops as that 3rd tall backman I think he needs to go back up forward where he belongs as another dangerous option.

We are far too reliant on bombing the footy on Charlie and Harry's head and I think we need to bring back the 'three-headed hydra' that was envisioned when we first got McGovern but was derailed by injuries.

A forward line of Gov, Harry, Charlie and Martin I believe is our most dangerous with motlop and durdin as the pockets. From our current best 22, this means JSOS and owies unluckily miss out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weiters
McGovern Docherty
Williams …………. Saad
……………. Cripps …………..
Martin Charlie ……….. JSOS
Motlop Harry

……….. Walsh Cerra

Hewett Stocker Setterfield ………….

Dotted lines are the unknown and are up for grabs.

Expecting at least 2 new names on this list only.

TDK needs to work ******* hard this summer, on the track 1 October if I was him.

B - McGovern Weitering Saad
HB - Williams Young ------
C - ----- Cripps ------
HF - ----- McKay ------
F - ----- Curnow -----
R - ------ Walsh Cerra
I - Hewett Docherty (mid/back?) ----- -----

Feel like the rest will sort itself out after trade/draft/delistings, preseason and injuries.

Hoping Kemp and Carroll have break out seasons and lock down two of those blank spaces.

Massive preseason for the wings, small forwards and rucks.
Plenty of spots up for grabs.

FB: McGovern Young Williams
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: LOB Cripps Walsh
HF: Fisher Curnow Silvagni
FF: Durdin McKay Motlop
FOL: TDK Hewett Cerra

INT: Marchbank, Cottrell, Kennedy, Martin
SUB: Kemp

EMG: Newman, Setterfield, Pittonet, Cunningham

Assuming everyone is fit this would be mine. The TDK/Pitt choice was the hardest decsion for me to make - happy to play both in some games (e.g. when oppos have two rucks) but would probably prefer only the one in most games with Young or JSOS pitching in as well as Harry in the forward

Very early - but, here are my best 22

FB: Boyd - Young - Williams
HB: Saad - Weitering - McGov
C: Docherty - Cripps - Cerra
HF: JSOS – C.Curnow - Fisher
FF: Motlop - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Hewett
Int: Marchbank - Martin – Kemp – Kennedy

Emg: Carroll Durdin Stoker Newman

That's a decent team to field - hopefully, we see it more often next year.

I've found it hard to choose three out of: Motlop, Honey, Kemp, Stocker, Durdin and Carroll
I went with the first 3 players

I can't believe Kemp is the forgotten man in the best 22 by most posters so far, but Kemp and Carroll got to feature in 2023

Last edited:
Marchbank Weitering McGovern
Newman McDonald Docherty
Williams Cripps Saad
Honey/Fisher Curnow Martin
Durdin McKay Silvagni
Pittonet Cerra Walsh
Boyd/stocker Hewett Kennedy/Setterfield Motlop

TDK - loads of VFL time developing forward game.

O'Brien, Cuningham and Cottrell close to that wing spot.

Carroll and Kemp close to it.

Owies and fisher close to it.

Young if McDonald is no good.

I'd like to see this trialed, see if Saad and Williams can run the wing.

B- Marchbank Young McGovern
HB- Saad Weitering Williams
C- Cerra Cripps Walsh
HF- Martin Curnow Fisher
F- Durdin McKay Owies
R- Pittonet Stocker Hewett
Int- Docherty Kennedy JSOS Kemp.
Sub- LOB
Emg- Boyd TDK Carroll

Marchbank, Young (middle of the year version), Saad
McGovern Weitering Docherty
Cerra Cripps Walsh
Silvagni Curnow Martin
Motlop McKay Fisher
Fol. TDK, Kennedy, Hewett
Bench Stocker, Cuningham, Kemp, Williams
Emergency Durdin Durdin Pittonet

Saad Weitering Marchbank
McGovern Young Williams
Doc Cerra Cottrell
Fisher Curnow Martin
Durdin McKay Motlop

Pittonet Cripps Walsh

Hewett Kennedy TDK Newman

Emg. SOJ Kemp Boyd Setterfield

I don’t think we will push any big names like Walsh out to a wing as it will only take away from our running players who play in more important roles.
Doc can hopefully emulate Brayshaw in that role on the wing. Doc loves hunting the ball though so it may not work unless he is willing to sacrifice that.
I like the four talls in the backline, it reminds me alot of Richmond’s setup.
The forward line has massive question marks but only time will tell if the young guys are upto it. I really rate Durdin and like Motlop a lot but both are far from certainties. I trust them to do the defensive things though and that is important.
I’m picking TDK purely on potential.

Boyd Wetering Williams
Marchbank Durdin Saad

TDK Hewett Doc
Cottrell Cripps Walsh

Gov Young C Curnow
Mots Harry Durdin

I don't think Fisher is in our future 22 either.
Hope he's on a low salary, for the club to contract him until 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back