Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Dunkley chooses Brisbane, that blows the "family" (ie girlfriend) theory out of the water. Sorry, Tippah, it's all over.
I’d probably cop him choosing Brisbane. She’s a QLD and probably has every intention of moving back there if she can get an acceptable contract. His sister is also pretty settled up there and not to mention his family already own a holiday home nearby.

Remember this isn’t a decision for the next 12 months for Dunkley, you’d have to say this is where he would want to settle down long term which is why I don’t buy the Port link in the slightest.

I posted it on this thread months ago.

Lions can get both trades done and have the cap space to do just that.

Current and future firsts, plus McStay compensation and another player included.

OR a player heading back to Vic….
It's an interesting thought.

With who we brought in it'd possibly set the midfield up for the next decade.

I’d probably cop him choosing Brisbane. She’s a QLD and probably has every intention of moving back there if she can get an acceptable contract. His sister is also pretty settled up there and not to mention his family already own a holiday home nearby.

Remember this isn’t a decision for the next 12 months for Dunkley, you’d have to say this is where he would want to settle down long term which is why I don’t buy the Port link in the slightest.
We are going to want some serious compo - just read a report on the pressure acts from the 4 finals last week and Dunkley lead every other player across the 4 games. No way should we be giving him to Brisbane if we are actually serious about winning. He is what we lack across the list - a true hard nut

I posted it on this thread months ago.

Lions can get both trades done and have the cap space to do just that.

Current and future firsts, plus McStay compensation and another player included.

OR a player heading back to Vic….
Brisbane also need points to match #1 pick Ashcroft.

Brisbane also need points to match #1 pick Ashcroft.
Lions could offload Pick 13 to Gold Coast stack of second and thirds

Then offload that to dogs for Dunks and/or Treloar

Dogs offload those picks to move up in the draft again

Still struggling a bit with Lobb. This is not a priority areas of the ground and I don’t think it makes us materially stronger for the cost.

If I do a team with him at FF the you are replacing Bruce who has just come back from a knee but has a few times kicked 50 goals in a season - in todays terms a very very good FF for someone who has played OK - not a 50 goal FF - and only very well against us (like TOB).

A tall forward group of Bruce, Naughty and JUH with Darcy coming of the bench and /or one of Naughty and Darcy capable of going back looks a great tall forward set up. And we will get major improvements next year from three who are under 21.

Bruce and Darcy shared the ruck relief. Really Lobb for Darcy in best 22 and doing that will slow the development of Darcy. Lobb for Bruce makes us slightly better in ruck for 10 mins a game and worse in FF for the whole game. We can’t compare Bruce coming off injury - let’s get him back to his best after a full preseason - Lobb is nowhere near as good as Bruce. The forwards did not capitalise on inside 50 dominance or play that well but when 50% of your entries are to no one it does not matter.

This is just not where our list should focus. Our tall forwards will be the envy of the competition for the next five years but our tall defenders are so far behind.

With Jones we are improved if the angry accountant can get fit but otherwise are still short a decent FB and a third tall defender - both are major moneyball problems for us.

Would much rather get Logue from Freo and next Meek before Lobb.

Moneyball areas are well known where we would be bottom four - someone with better stats should be able to correct me.

• KPDs - poor 1:1 so need a good 1:1 Have Keath who is very good if fit, Gardner who tries and in few more years will be OK (hence Jones until he does) but we are certainly not winning this position against the top FFs. How far are we away from the best May, McCartin, Pearce, Barrass, Ballard, Moore, Andrews
  • KPDs - intercept defensive marks. If we play Gardner or Cordy as the second defender then they are both being beaten and not adding marking as it isn’t their strength (Gardner is getting better but still way off) - how far are we off Lever, McGovern, Cox, Stewart, Grimes , P.McCartin - even the StKilda guy got record marks against us.
  • wing - meters gained and possessions and speed - at the games we look so slow and can’t seem to link up
  • small forward - I reckon Flea did ok and West also had an OK average but we feel a couple of goals short and i50 tackles short. Our best seems Flea, West and JJ/García but only Flea is a forward with Craft and danger. Wallis is good but more overtaken by Flea. MCNeil shows flashes but we want a real threat: Bolton, Cameron, Papley, Rankine, Ginnivan etc
  • Ruck hits to advantage (or other dimension) - if someone can add a new positive dimension (not just hold on until Timmy gets a rest) then we can hurt the opposition two ways - a different ruck set up that can hurt you and Timmy spending more time forwards and also hurting you. Imagine Darcy in one forward pocket and English in another and JUH and Bruce in the CHF/FF with Naughton dropping back to CHB for a period! Unfortunately for us Schache has not been able to bring his running game to this and stamp himself on games when he goes in and Sweet doesn’t add anything much - statistically just a lesser English (that sounds way too harsh and I like Sweet but he more replaces English if injured than plays well with him. )
  • Wing/speed is also an area we need a lift - I am a fan of Hunter but Williams is just hanging on until we kind find replacement. Fernando looks promising and will play more next year - he is fast and brings something special with his height and marking - high risk but very high return but not there yet. Jones not ready yet.
  • Small defender. Couldn’t have been more obvious that we lacked both capability and leadership when Duryea dropped out - he is more than just a good player he lift those around him and they fall apart without him anchoring. Reckon we need to trade for someone there - not sure who is around. Roarke is a good servant and can do OK on wing but is not a star - we need to win more positions not just hold them at best - if we can’t trade someone in maybe he can take Duryea’s small defender role - he certainly has the courage and has developed a cooler head. In any event his MR fixit ability (like Scott as other alternative) is his advantage and curse. One of them should be told just to focus on this.

Like tall forwards Mids are competitive - Williams could be the replacement for Dunkley in the midfield but with Mclean next in line and then West (hopefully) and García (Libba’s understudy) we are not as thin there as others - ie Bont, Macrae, Libba, Trelor, Smith (5 stars with Dunks) then McLean, West, García and players like Daniel and McNeil (who will keep getting better). Issue is speed and defensive play - no tagger - García adds speed, West adds defender but still a top 2 midfield.

Just boarded a plane out of Adelaide and there were tv crews waiting. When I asked who they were waiting for they said Josh Dunkley.

Just boarded a plane out of Adelaide and there were tv crews waiting. When I asked who they were waiting for they said Josh Dunkley.
Just make a decision Josh you have had more than enough time.

If you don’t know by now you will never know.

FMD imagine that being your job. Wait for hours just hoping to get a 10 second soundbite out of someone who doesn't want to talk to you and won't be giving any new or insightful comments anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah but ideally we have Naughty & Bruce or Jamarra firing alongside him still.

Not sure he’s had any meaningful time forward this year at all tbh, it’s a small sample size either way but he’s shown he’s capable up there and IMO it’s a bit weird to not have trialed it further especially when he’s getting beaten in the middle to change things up. Of course when he’s at his best in the middle he’s a weapon but when it’s not working it’s negligent to just keep him in there being a battering ram when we could spin the magnets a bit and try to break up his game.

If I could choose Lobb or English to play forward/ruck next year I’d be picking English every day of the week
English is a capable but not star forward would be happy for him to play more forward, on the provision that we get a competent 2nd ruck. Unfortunately at this point most likely looks Lobb, would take Grundy if we could manufacture it.
Highly unlikely to happy though hopefully a big off season for us this year as there is a few issues to be addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back