News Insightful and Inciteful - 2022 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another nice way to sum up our abysmal season:

The Brownlow is often referred to as the ‘midfielders’ medal’, so it’s no surprise all five of Fremantle’s attendees for Sunday’s count will be engine-room Dockers

Meanwhile:

Retired West Coast spearhead Josh Kennedy will not travel east for the count despite being the short-priced favourite ($1.55 with Ladbrokes) to poll the most votes for the Eagles during their disastrous 2022 campaign.

Instead, the Eagles will be represented by captain Luke Shuey as well as club best-and-fairest winner Tom Barrass, veteran Shannon Hurn, recently re-signed defender Jamaine Jones and wingman Andrew Gaff.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF

If
Rioli to port deal is the same as the Kelly to West coast deal

Then
It is because West coast got bent over and rammed both times.

Gill saying what most of us thought.

Brownlow Medal 2022: AFL boss Gill McLachlan says Patrick Cripps appeals decision was ‘nonsense’​

AFL boss Gill McLachlan has said he is “very agitated” by the controversial league Appeals Board decision that ultimately gave Patrick Cripps Brownlow glory.

The Carlton skipper’s chances of claiming the prestigious individual honour looked to be dead in the water in August after he was hit with a two-match ban for a bump on Brisbane’s Callum Ah Chee.

But after a four-and-a-half hour hearing Cripps was freed to play, and it became even more of a significant decision when he took out the Brownlow Medal on Sunday night by just one vote.

But in this week’s AFL Record McLachlan teed off at the decision to overturn Cripps’ suspension.

“People are aware I was very agitated by that (Appeals Board) decision,” McLachlan told AFL Record two weeks ago.
“It made no sense to me in any way and it is frustrating to have a legal view about due process or procedural fairness - a complete nonsense - really affect a clear mandate to protect the head.

“We confused our supporters and set ourselves back and that really frustrates me.
“When you can have something that is so important, which is protecting the head, and a clear statement from the MRO and backed up by the Tribunal, and then the player getting off because of a legal technicality and nobody really understanding what the hell happened, I find that challenging.
“So, I have asked the guys to review the system and we will see where that lands.”

A “failure to afford procedural fairness” by the Tribunal when hitting Cripps with a two-game suspension was key to the Appeals Board’s decision.
Carlton’s counsel argued for almost two hours that Cripps had been denied “natural justice” in the initial hearing and the original Tribunal jury had not been adequately directed before it reached its finding.

The Board said this amounted to an “error of law”.
The Board also said that it could not see how the Tribunal could have arrived at the conclusion Cripps’ actions were “in the bumping of an opponent”.
This was because the Board found that the Tribunal, who concluded Cripps bumped Ah Chee, did not actually receive any indication from Cripps or his legal representatives to suggest it.

Ah Chee was concussed from the incident and missed multiple weeks as a result of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haggers doubled down last night on SEN on his assertion that Brayden Ainsworth is almost a certainty to be delisted once West Coast finally announce their list changes…

Although in very different positions considering they actually climbed the mountain, the youngest premiership teams of the AFL era – Collingwood (2010), Essendon (1993), the Western Bulldogs (2016) and West Coast (1992) – failed to add another flag with their respective crops.

It's not that hard to look at who won the flag two years after 1992.

Edit: Now the article reads like this.

Although in very different positions considering they actually climbed the mountain, of the youngest premiership teams of the AFL era – Collingwood (2010), Essendon (1993), the Western Bulldogs (2016) and West Coast (1992) – only Mick Malthouse’s Eagles (1994) won another flag with their respective crops.

The GF was terrible but if it finally gives us a night GF it might have been worth it.
It really was a terrible match to watch. Geelong were solid, didn't make any mistakes, but it was more a case of they just out-pressured Sydney all day and just didn't let up. Didn't make for much of a spectacle.

No excitement, no GAblett ripping it up with nine goals in a losing side, no big clashes, no big marks, no PMatera ripping the game apart, or a Wayne Carey domination etc. Just a clinical display against an opposition who just didn't turn up and spent the whole game playing chasey.

Most boring GF in years and I'm not sure a night GF would have fixed that. Mind you, I'm actually for a night GF based on where I live. Timings work better for me. This 4 o'clock in the morning malarkey's got knobs on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back