Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people making noise that Hunter is gone on here. Any theories as to why there has been literally zero mention of his name in the media? Not even a passing comment by anyone.
I may be wrong but I feel like we’ve been very tight with information given to the media since all the leaking stuff happened earlier in the year.

A lot of people making noise that Hunter is gone on here. Any theories as to why there has been literally zero mention of his name in the media? Not even a passing comment by anyone.
Maybe Cats-bound? He's approaching the age demographic they work in, and Higgins already gone, plus possibly a few other retirees. If his off-field issues are as bad as some claim, he might be better getting out of Melbourne.

Was told in his exit meeting to look for a new home and if he couldnt find one we'd pay out his contract..Im amazed it's not in the media yet to be honest

Don’t mind Hunter potentially leaving. Opens cap space and a list spot. Wingers now need to have not only a good tank, but good size and/or marking ability. Think Bedendo will (has?) gone past him, and will be a much more valuable winger for us.

I think Geelong winning the flag so convincingly also made a few other things clear. You need genuine pressure smalls. We have no genuine pressure smalls. We need to address this in the draft, or a cheap trade option or two.

Assistant coaches and systems more important than the list to an extent. We need to invest here, and then see what holes open up on our list, not the other way around.

Was told in his exit meeting to look for a new home and if he couldnt find one we'd pay out his contract..Im amazed it's not in the media yet to be honest
The future years he is contracted for still count under our salary cap for those years. Other than him not being physically at the club, there is no financial advantage at all for the club in that scenario.

Don’t mind Hunter potentially leaving. Opens cap space and a list spot. Wingers now need to have not only a good tank, but good size and/or marking ability. Think Bedendo will (has?) gone past him, and will be a much more valuable winger for us.

I think Geelong winning the flag so convincingly also made a few other things clear. You need genuine pressure smalls. We have no genuine pressure smalls. We need to address this in the draft, or a cheap trade option or two.

Assistant coaches and systems more important than the list to an extent. We need to invest here, and then see what holes open up on our list, not the other way around.
Come on now. I get Hunter is a whipping boy and has his issues. But there is no chance in hell Bedendo has gone past him. He looked ok in 1 of his games and was invisible in the other (i think he played 2 games).

Hunter leaving doesn’t really help us, considering we only have 1 decent winger and it’s him.
Geelong have shown that culture is one of the most vital things to get right. If his issues are as bad as rumoured it can’t be good for the group. Purely on field you’re right but if having stronger culture means the other players we have improve and it opens the chance we recruit others, the benefits will flow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Players that could leave

Josh Dunkley
has officially requested a trade to Brisbane, two years after his unsuccessful attempt to get the Essendon in the 2020 Trade Period. But this time, Dunkley is out of contract as a non-free agent. Dunkley had a career best season in 2022 with the club “disappointed” in his decision to exit. Jason Johannisen remains out of contract after 11 seasons at the club. He fell out of favour at stages in 2022 and is reportedly on the Gold Coast Suns’ radar. West Coast also made a play for the utility a few years back, so don’t count them out. Josh Schache is another out-of-contract player who failed to secure his place in the Dogs best 22. And with the rise of youngsters Jamarra Ugle-Hagen and Sam Darcy, Schache could struggle again in 2023. Zaine Cordy is another who could look for a move away from the Dogs.

Players that could arrive

Melbourne forward Adam Tomlinson has reportedly undergone a medical at Whitten Oval, as the Dogs look to build support for Aaron Naughton. Tomlinson is contracted for another two seasons at the Dees, but missed most of the 2022 campaign through injury. The Bulldogs did have their sights set on Docker Rory Lobb, but Fremantle have told the contracted big man that they would be holding him to his deal. Former Bulldog and Blue Liam Jones is returning to Footscray after missing the entire 2022 season over his Covid vaccine beliefs. Jones did not meet the AFL’s mandatory health and safety protocols, that have since been lifted, and could not be registered as an AFL player. But as he’s now classified as an unrestricted free agent, he can move to the Bulldogs as his choice. Some interest in Adelaide small forward James Rowe, too.

Who's already gone

Nil

Draft picks

11, 29, 37 (via North Melbourne), 65, 83
Tomlinson isn’t a forward.

I may be wrong but I feel like we’ve been very tight with information given to the media since all the leaking stuff happened earlier in the year.
Which is good news. Was thinking the same myself because there has been diddly squat coming from the club ..... even surrounding exit meetings and delistings.

I think it may be a sign of how Sam Power goes about his work.

Geelong have shown that culture is one of the most vital things to get right. If his issues are as bad as rumoured it can’t be good for the group. Purely on field you’re right but if having stronger culture means the other players we have improve and it opens the chance we recruit others, the benefits will flow.

CORRECT

I think the recruitment is still pretty good. We just seem to have more project players under the new management rather than ready mades.

We've wasted drafts/trades over the last 5 years on a number of players that couldnt deliver or were not played to their strengths.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Players that could leave

Josh Dunkley
has officially requested a trade to Brisbane, two years after his unsuccessful attempt to get the Essendon in the 2020 Trade Period. But this time, Dunkley is out of contract as a non-free agent. Dunkley had a career best season in 2022 with the club “disappointed” in his decision to exit. Jason Johannisen remains out of contract after 11 seasons at the club. He fell out of favour at stages in 2022 and is reportedly on the Gold Coast Suns’ radar. West Coast also made a play for the utility a few years back, so don’t count them out. Josh Schache is another out-of-contract player who failed to secure his place in the Dogs best 22. And with the rise of youngsters Jamarra Ugle-Hagen and Sam Darcy, Schache could struggle again in 2023. Zaine Cordy is another who could look for a move away from the Dogs.

Players that could arrive

Melbourne forward Adam Tomlinson has reportedly undergone a medical at Whitten Oval, as the Dogs look to build support for Aaron Naughton. Tomlinson is contracted for another two seasons at the Dees, but missed most of the 2022 campaign through injury. The Bulldogs did have their sights set on Docker Rory Lobb, but Fremantle have told the contracted big man that they would be holding him to his deal. Former Bulldog and Blue Liam Jones is returning to Footscray after missing the entire 2022 season over his Covid vaccine beliefs. Jones did not meet the AFL’s mandatory health and safety protocols, that have since been lifted, and could not be registered as an AFL player. But as he’s now classified as an unrestricted free agent, he can move to the Bulldogs as his choice. Some interest in Adelaide small forward James Rowe, too.

Who's already gone

Nil

Draft picks

11, 29, 37 (via North Melbourne), 65, 83
"Liam Jones is returning to Footscray" :(

Didn't Hawthorn win like four flags during the time they were being systematically racist?
What about Richmond and their antics in and out of the hubs?

The culture excuse is bull. Most dynasties aren't built by angels. If Lachie was good enough to play in our final then he's good enough to play. You back your leaders to keep him in line during the season and move on.

Didn't Hawthorn win like four flags during the time they were being systematically racist?

The culture excuse is bull. Most dynasties aren't built by angels. If Lachie was good enough to play in our final then he's good enough to play. You back your leaders to keep him in line during the season and move on.
Must just be a coincidence that Sydney and Geelong have collectively featured in 11 of the 18 grand finals since 2005 whilst also having very strong cultures in that time. I agree with your point regarding having leaders to pull players into line. Having leaders pull them in to line is actually a trait of a strong culture, but it’s clear this has been tried consistently and it hasn’t worked.

Not sayin it's right to get rid of him but if he is missing games due to off field issues and disrupting the rest of the team I could understand it, even though I think he is best 22. Maybe the leaders aren't able to keep him in line.

Murphy, Boyd, Morris and Wood (even Roughead) vs Bont, Macrae, Duryea and Naughton. Hmmm. Bruce and Keath are older heads, but not in the mould of our 2016 experienced guys. Treloar and JJ are older too, but I don't get leadership vibes from them. Liber is a bit of his own man, flies the flag and plays with passion, but does he spur on team-mates?

Very different lists and leaders between 2016 and 2021/22. Bont leads by example, but who out on the field is setting up the defence, or having a word in a younger team-mates ear? Or, as Fossie says, pulling a Hunter into line off-field?

Must just be a coincidence that Sydney and Geelong have collectively featured in 11 of the 18 grand finals since 2005 whilst also having very strong cultures in that time. I agree with your point regarding having leaders to pull players into line. Having leaders pull them in to line is actually a trait of a strong culture, but it’s clear this has been tried consistently and it hasn’t worked.
It hasn't worked because we have weak leaders.
And it will continue to happen until we have strong ones.

We keep throwing out good sometimes premiership players for "culture" reasons. We devalue them and get nowhere near market value. And supporters like yourself eat up all the "culture" talk but ignore the fact that we keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Hunter is the symptom not the disease.
Cutting Hunter is akin to cutting Stringer, which is akin to continually giving morphine to a person who has done an ACL. Yeah it might help for a while but you need to address the underlying issue. We have piss poor leaders and that comes from the top.

It hasn't worked because we have weak leaders.
And it will continue to happen until we have strong ones.

We keep throwing out good sometimes premiership players for "culture" reasons. We devalue them and get nowhere near market value. And supporters like yourself eat up all the "culture" talk but ignore the fact that we keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Hunter is the symptom not the disease.
Cutting Hunter is akin to cutting Stringer, which is akin to continually giving morphine to a person who has done an ACL. Yeah it might help for a while but you need to address the underlying issue. We have piss poor leaders and that comes from the top.
Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back