Oppo Camp The Hawthorn Racism Report

Remove this Banner Ad

A large part of me wants the purple circle in the AFL to burn. As we sit idle waiting, the AFL are doing everything possible to reduce the blast radius of this allegation and protect their brand. I can see little change at hawthorn or AFL house coming out if this. Just look who walks through their doors everyday for work. * the AFL dogs. It must be one of the most toxic places to work.

This is such a strange take. Like there were less parameters because they wanted the scope to be dictated by the interviews.

It makes it sound like other clubs would rather nothing have been found.

Edit: which I'm sure is true but don't say that out loud

The AFL will do their very best to whitewash this whole mess, and sweep it under the carpet for good measure. I wouldn't trust them
as far as I could kick them, so just how much would these aggrieved indigenous players trust them? Diddly squat all!
The AFL are surely, themselves, bringing the game into disrepute here.

A large part of me wants the purple circle in the AFL to burn. As we sit idle waiting, the AFL are doing everything possible to reduce the blast radius of this allegation and protect their brand. I can see little change at hawthorn or AFL house coming out if this. Just look who walks through their doors everyday for work. * the AFL dogs. It must be one of the most toxic places to work.

The answer is here..

As long as West Coast survived or a new club was able to take over the history of the club, it wouldn't bother me if the entire competition collapsed and a new competition was started in its ashes.

Sadly, the same campaigners who ran AFL would just go scurrying over to this hypothetical new competition so probably not a lot would change.

Can't find the emails for some reason, but can get the gist based on reporting. Yeah, this is how you sink ships when it comes to meetings where parties deny saying what was said. I was a lawyer prior to a career change and they bang into you, make contemporaneous records. An email sent after the fact, or notes made, hold up and support your story well after the actual meeting has passed. Clarkson and Co can deny it all they want, but direct emails stating it happened that were sent 9? years ago at the time, make it very very hard to believe Clarkson and Co's side of the story.

Yes, the emails have to be verified.
I th

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Fresh allegations of controlling behaviour have emerged against former Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson. But this time the accusations relate to non-Indigenous past players and notably the current coach Sam Mitchell.
The details surround Clarkson’s unsympathetic treatment of Mitchell during the 2011 season, the year Mitchell’s wife Lyndall gave birth to twin girls and the family was beset by a number of confronting health problems.
Alastair Clarkson and Sam Mitchell.

Alastair Clarkson and Sam Mitchell.CREDIT:THE AGE
Clarkson, who has already strenuously denied a number of devastating claims detailed in the cultural safety review commissioned by Hawthorn, is alleged to have:
*Told Mitchell to hand in his mobile phone - along with the rest of the team - on the eve of an interstate game against Sydney during a period in which one of his twin babies was being frequently admitted to hospital.

*Expressed surprise before the twins’ birth that Mitchell was having children so close together (the Mitchell’s son Smith was 11 months old when the twins were born) and wondered at the effect this might have upon his playing career.
*Publicly announced Mitchell was missing a game against Richmond due to personal reasons relating to the twins’ health without the player’s knowledge or consent.
*Ultimately agreed to treat Mitchell with more respect when the pair resolved their differences at the end of the season but again questioned the wisdom of the timing of the twins’ birth.
Mitchell detailed some elements of his fall-out with Clarkson in his autobiography Relentless, which was published after his playing retirement. He stated in the book that he came close to leaving Hawthorn for Collingwood so deep was his disappointment at the way he was treated by the senior coach.
However, more details surrounding Mitchell’s falling out with Clarkson emerged this week with former players and staff suggesting the allegations voiced by four Indigenous families relating to traumatic experiences during their time at the club had caused others to relive some experiences. One wife of a former player said Lyndall Mitchell was admonished by a club official (not Clarkson) for not showing enough emotion after the Hawks’ three-point preliminary final defeat in 2011.

The majority of the former players contacted stressed that Clarkson saw himself as a father figure at the club who, while at times overstepping the mark in interfering in their personal lives, firmly believed he was prioritising the best interests of his footballers.
Several cited the example of Clarkson flying to the US unannounced to meet Lance Franklin at a time he was considering leaving Hawthorn, a move that backfired and disappointed Franklin. One player said Clarkson’s advice to avoid some family and friends had made him a better player.
All the white players contacted said the allegations directed at the club by First Nation families had shocked them and that their own experiences should not be compared to those published in the cultural safety review. The most serious allegation detailed in the Phil Egan review is that Clarkson told an Indigenous player to terminate his partner’s pregnancy, among a series of allegations surrounding bullying players to choose between family and football.
Mitchell, who like Clarkson expressed unwillingness to work together in 2022 as part of a coaching succession plan, refused to comment on the allegations involving him and wife Lyndall when contacted on Friday. The AFL is aware of the Mitchell allegations.
Following complications surrounding the twins’ birth the Mitchells feared for twin Scarlett’s survival for several months. During that time Lyndall Mitchell’s mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. The family told teammates and friends at the time that Mitchell’s issues with the coach could have proved irreparable if not for the regular intervention of then football boss Mark Evans.

Evans reportedly intervened after the players’ mobile phones were confiscated and returned Mitchell’s so the couple could remain in communication while the football boss’ wife Lynne stayed with Lyndall Mitchell and her young family in Melbourne. He refused to comment when contacted.
Mitchell, who won the Peter Crimmins Medal in 2011 and received 30 Brownlow votes, likened that time to being lost in a thick fog. “I felt I didn’t get a lot of empathy from the powers that be at Hawthorn for what Lyndall and I were going through,” he wrote in Relentless. “I was always a little proud, I guess, and just didn’t complain enough.
“... It was almost a different time back then when new fathers weren’t cut a lot of slack within AFL clubs.”
Clarkson’s manager declined to comment.

Clarkson said in a statement this week: “The further recent publication of purported extracts from the report means I now have grave concerns that any chance of a fair process and a just outcome have been seriously undermined, if not irrevocably corrupted.
“... I have no option but to express publicly, in the strongest and most emphatic terms possible, that I did not behave in the manner claimed.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tis interesting to read the reported differences in defence being used by Fagan and Clarko.

Fagan - didn’t do it.
Clarko - won’t get a fair hearing.

I may have heavily paraphrased the responses but that’s the way I’m reading it.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fresh allegations of controlling behaviour have emerged against former Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson. But this time the accusations relate to non-Indigenous past players and notably the current coach Sam Mitchell.
The details surround Clarkson’s unsympathetic treatment of Mitchell during the 2011 season, the year Mitchell’s wife Lyndall gave birth to twin girls and the family was beset by a number of confronting health problems.

Clarkson, who has already strenuously denied a number of devastating claims detailed in the cultural safety review commissioned by Hawthorn, is alleged to have:
*Told Mitchell to hand in his mobile phone - along with the rest of the team - on the eve of an interstate game against Sydney during a period in which one of his twin babies was being frequently admitted to hospital.

*Expressed surprise before the twins’ birth that Mitchell was having children so close together (the Mitchell’s son Smith was 11 months old when the twins were born) and wondered at the effect this might have upon his playing career.
*Publicly announced Mitchell was missing a game against Richmond due to personal reasons relating to the twins’ health without the player’s knowledge or consent.
*Ultimately agreed to treat Mitchell with more respect when the pair resolved their differences at the end of the season but again questioned the wisdom of the timing of the twins’ birth.
Mitchell detailed some elements of his fall-out with Clarkson in his autobiography Relentless, which was published after his playing retirement. He stated in the book that he came close to leaving Hawthorn for Collingwood so deep was his disappointment at the way he was treated by the senior coach.
However, more details surrounding Mitchell’s falling out with Clarkson emerged this week with former players and staff suggesting the allegations voiced by four Indigenous families relating to traumatic experiences during their time at the club had caused others to relive some experiences. One wife of a former player said Lyndall Mitchell was admonished by a club official (not Clarkson) for not showing enough emotion after the Hawks’ three-point preliminary final defeat in 2011.

The majority of the former players contacted stressed that Clarkson saw himself as a father figure at the club who, while at times overstepping the mark in interfering in their personal lives, firmly believed he was prioritising the best interests of his footballers.
Several cited the example of Clarkson flying to the US unannounced to meet Lance Franklin at a time he was considering leaving Hawthorn, a move that backfired and disappointed Franklin. One player said Clarkson’s advice to avoid some family and friends had made him a better player.
All the white players contacted said the allegations directed at the club by First Nation families had shocked them and that their own experiences should not be compared to those published in the cultural safety review. The most serious allegation detailed in the Phil Egan review is that Clarkson told an Indigenous player to terminate his partner’s pregnancy, among a series of allegations surrounding bullying players to choose between family and football.
Mitchell, who like Clarkson expressed unwillingness to work together in 2022 as part of a coaching succession plan, refused to comment on the allegations involving him and wife Lyndall when contacted on Friday. The AFL is aware of the Mitchell allegations.
Following complications surrounding the twins’ birth the Mitchells feared for twin Scarlett’s survival for several months. During that time Lyndall Mitchell’s mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. The family told teammates and friends at the time that Mitchell’s issues with the coach could have proved irreparable if not for the regular intervention of then football boss Mark Evans.

Evans reportedly intervened after the players’ mobile phones were confiscated and returned Mitchell’s so the couple could remain in communication while the football boss’ wife Lynne stayed with Lyndall Mitchell and her young family in Melbourne. He refused to comment when contacted.
Mitchell, who won the Peter Crimmins Medal in 2011 and received 30 Brownlow votes, likened that time to being lost in a thick fog. “I felt I didn’t get a lot of empathy from the powers that be at Hawthorn for what Lyndall and I were going through,” he wrote in Relentless. “I was always a little proud, I guess, and just didn’t complain enough.
“... It was almost a different time back then when new fathers weren’t cut a lot of slack within AFL clubs.”

Clarkson said in a statement this week: “The further recent publication of purported extracts from the report means I now have grave concerns that any chance of a fair process and a just outcome have been seriously undermined, if not irrevocably corrupted.
“... I have no option but to express publicly, in the strongest and most emphatic terms possible, that I did not behave in the manner claimed.”

To be fair he didn’t say what type of father figure he saw himself as… some fathers are campaigners.

Seems like a terrible human being. The kind who thinks he knows best in every situation when he should just * off

Tis interesting to read the reported differences in defence being used by Fagan and Clarko.

Fagan - didn’t do it.
Clarko - won’t get a fair hearing.

I may have heavily paraphrased the responses but that’s the way I’m reading it.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarkson’s always come across as a bit of a high strung angry little man whereas Fagan has a more relaxed persona.

Whether that’s true privately I have no idea but I will say I have less difficulty believing Clarkson could have said/done what he’s been accused of than I do with Fagan - seems out of character for Fagan, less so for Clarkson (Clarkson reminds me of the Peter Dinklage character in Elf)

Clarkson’s always come across as a bit of a high strung angry little man whereas Fagan has a more relaxed persona.

Whether that’s true privately I have no idea but I will say I have less difficulty believing Clarkson could have said/done what he’s been accused of than I do with Fagan - seems out of character for Fagan, less so for Clarkson (Clarkson reminds me of the Peter Dinklage character in Elf)
Didn’t the initial abc report say that it was Clarko and fagan together? Clarko may have dragged him into it, but that doesn’t absolve fagan.

Didn’t the initial abc report say that it was Clarko and fagan together? Clarko may have dragged him into it, but that doesn’t absolve fagan.
I’m not absolving Fagan necessarily, just that it’s easier to envisage Clarkson doing what’s been alleged than it is Fagan

The harm that it has done to the players and families is the most important part in all this that needs to be addressed, and please don't take my following comments as in anyway being insensitive to what has occurred.

There's no way to take the 3peat away from the Hawks now. They will be remembered as one of if not the greatest team of the AFL era. This ruthless, hard nosed, personally damaging and inappropriate approach by their organisation got them there. We'll still hear all about how great they were, watch all the highlights come finals time of their "heroics" etc. They still get to keep all this despite what is clearly a inappropriately run organisation - the history books will always show them as 2013-15 premiers. It shits me that they get to keep all the spoils despite this. I imagine it's so easy as a Hawks supporter to now condemn all this after being talking about as the GOAT AFL team for over half a decade with no fear of it being taken away. It almost seems like the ends justify the means in this case for them.

Anyway it's s**t all round and I'll be happy to see Clarkson and his cronies get what's coming to them.

Clarkos not a racist khent...hes just a khent.

Clarkos not a racist khent...hes just a khent.
Geez it’s starting to look that way with maybe a poor understanding of the indigenous culture adding to the impact of the people interviewed in the report.

I wonder if the terms of the AFL sanctioned report could be expanded to include non-indigenous players.

It would be interesting to see the alleged behaviour from Clarkson and co was across the entire playing group.

The harm that it has done to the players and families is the most important part in all this that needs to be addressed, and please don't take my following comments as in anyway being insensitive to what has occurred.

There's no way to take the 3peat away from the Hawks now. They will be remembered as one of if not the greatest team of the AFL era. This ruthless, hard nosed, personally damaging and inappropriate approach by their organisation got them there. We'll still hear all about how great they were, watch all the highlights come finals time of their "heroics" etc. They still get to keep all this despite what is clearly a inappropriately run organisation - the history books will always show them as 2013-15 premiers. It shits me that they get to keep all the spoils despite this. I imagine it's so easy as a Hawks supporter to now condemn all this after being talking about as the GOAT AFL team for over half a decade with no fear of it being taken away. It almost seems like the ends justify the means in this case for them.

Anyway it's s**t all round and I'll be happy to see Clarkson and his cronies get what's coming to them.
That same argument applies to our 2006 flag. We looked the other way on player welfare in order to win it all. I suspect us and the Hawks aren't the only ones either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back