Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

So I guess the question is, after massive seasons from certain players, who do we think kicks on to another level or who is the next player to step up (not including new recruits because I think we will see a bit this year from Bowes, Oliver and Bruhn).

Personally, I am keen to see what Holmes next step looks like. Someone else said some of the older guys might be content now they have a flag, but guys like Holmes have a big point to prove. If he gets himself right I include Simpson in that list as well as he sadly only has a GF loss to his name.

I also think with another pre-season, we might see bigger years from ZGuthrie and Parfitt.

I am also hoping my personal fave Close finds another gear and maybe spends the occasional bit of time in the MF.

With Selwood gone, there will probably be a few midfield minutes for the likes of Close, O'Connor, and Miers, as well as the new recruits.
And Parfitt. He will dominate in 2023.

In less than one quarter of the GF Parfitt had more touches of the ball than Buddy, and 5 other Swans, and only 2 less than AA champion, Heeney, had for the entire game

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I believe the Swans will suffer psychological damage from this.
A young team getting their pants pulled down on the biggest stage of all has to have some ramifications surely.
Thoughts?
I’m not too sure on that , however should they not make the 8 next year the pressure will be on the coaching team

And Parfitt. He will dominate in 2023.

In less than one quarter of the GF Parfitt had more touches of the ball than Buddy, and 5 other Swans, and only 2 less than AA champion, Heeney, had for the entire game
Really - based on what !!!!- and he doesnt want to leave Geel - because he will struggle big time - like a few others have

Ive run out of pages in my aptly named Foolscap pad - writing all this stuff down

So Parfitt is going to dominate in 2023 - ive also read today that O Henry is going to be our FF - with Tom missing the earlier matches - and of course Bruhn is going to be an absolute gun

Where as if someone said - look im super excited about Max Holmes- he could be an absolute star centreman/midfielder - got pace to burn etc - yeah thats fair comment - because Max has actually shown he could be a gun player - and he was the most influential player on the ground against the Magpies in that final till he got hurt

But this blue sky nonsense about some players who havent proved themselves - i can remember when Wylie Buzza was on the list - yeah bring in big Wylie - because he crashes packs - ha - ha - ha

Really - based on what !!!!- and he doesnt want to leave Geel - because he will struggle big time - like a few others have

Ive run out of pages in my aptly named Foolscap pad - writing all this stuff down

So Parfitt is going to dominate in 2023 - ive also read today that O Henry is going to be our FF - with Tom missing the earlier matches - and of course Bruhn is going to be an absolute gun

Where as if someone said - look im super excited about Max Holmes- he could be an absolute star centreman/midfielder - got pace to burn etc - yeah thats fair comment - because Max has actually shown he could be a gun player - and he was the most influential player on the ground against the Magpies in that final till he got hurt

But this blue sky nonsense about some players who havent proved themselves - i can remember when Wylie Buzza was on the list - yeah bring in big Wylie - because he crashes packs - ha - ha - ha
What a sad and joyless post

The more I think about it the more I believe the Swans will suffer psychological damage from this.
A young team getting their pants pulled down on the biggest stage of all has to have some ramifications surely.
Thoughts?
Well the Swans backed up their last grand final flogging with a top 4 finish in 2015. But that was a much more experienced side.

Eagles (who were even less experienced than the 22 Swans) backed up their grand final flogging with a 5th place in 2016.

Giants (similar to the Eagles) backed their grand final flogging with a 10th place in 2020.

So we might see the Swans head Giants path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute bullshiit - cant you give your realistic view

What is joyous and sad - is how many threads you have started on the main board - nearly every team in the comp - an obtuary thread - if they aernt travelling too well at the time - where is this team at ?

Pessimism isn't realism, being negative against a player at this time of year based off absolutely nothing isn't going to get you much support.

Like Guthrie, he has played the team game to the detriment of self for years. Atkins fills that role now. Parfitt always has a big game when ever he was freed up for an offensive role. With Selwood retiring that role opens up for him.

His last three full games were 25, 28, 28 disposals. All three are in his top 10 games by disposal in his career. He'll be 25 next year, entering into his physical peak. Not having a disrupted start to his pre-season unlike last year. Perfect storm for a breakout year.

Last edited:
Pessimism isn't realism, being negative against a player at this time of year based off absolutely nothing isn't going to get you much support.

Like Guthrie, he has played the team game to the detriment of self for years. Atkins fills that role now. Parfitt always has a big game when ever he was freed up for an offensive role. With Selwood retiring that role opens up for him.

His last three full games were 25, 28, 28 disposals. All three are in his top 10 games by disposal in his career. He'll be 25 next year, entering into his physical peak. Not having a disrupted start to his pre-season unlike last year. Perfect storm for a breakout year.

Its got nothing to do with that - it is giving ones view - and the Geel selectors and match committeee - did not have him in the best 23 for the 1st 2 finals - when Holmes was available - they are the facts

Posters are allowed to give their view - eg i think Sav has got the best chance at FF in the early rounds when Tom is missing next year - now other posters might disagree with that - however i dont think they are being negative or pessimistic - they are just giving their personal view ( which they are entitled to ) on what they have seen so far

Thoughts?

Same sort of scenario ****ed the power for years. They almost went under.

Its got nothing to do with that - it is giving ones view - and the Geel selectors and match committeee - did not have him in the best 23 for the 1st 2 finals - when Holmes was available - they are the facts

Posters are allowed to give their view - eg i think Sav has got the best chance at FF in the early rounds when Tom is missing next year - now other posters might disagree with that - however i dont think they are being negative or pessimistic - they are just giving their personal view ( which they are entitled to ) on what they have seen so far
Fair enough

I slept on how I'd reply to this, my feelings distil down to.

A baseless negative take is not the equal opposite of a baseless positive take. Given how a forum is structured, a baseless negative take can at times be indistinguishable from trolling, it is predictable what happens, many people are going to want to stamp it down. When it isn't tolling then you are going to feel personally attacked by the mob

Backing into Parfitt to have a good year isn't baseless, being negative on him is counter to plenty of evidence (112 games of it at his age in his position is heaps). His non-selection says nothing against him. You can only pick so many on ballers in the 22. He could have been 99.99% as good as the last person in and still not gotten selected.

Not everything has the same element of subjectivity, often ducking criticism of a s**t take as a "personal view" or opinion, just shows that it doesn't stand up on his own. No one will care about a baseless positive take, its much nicer to be around people who don't s**t on things for little reason.

I also think snide asides like, "hey remember when some had high hopes for Buzza and he didn't end up making it, snicker snicker, how silly you all are" are unhelpful and borderline trolling.

edit: Why the hell is it being autocorrected to "sfellow"? Is this another instance of the Scampaignerthorpe problem?

I slept on how I'd reply to this, my feelings distil down to.

A baseless negative take is not the equal opposite of a baseless positive take. Given how a forum is structured, a baseless negative take can at times be indistinguishable from trolling, it is predictable what happens, many people are going to want to stamp it down. When it isn't tolling then you are going to feel personally attacked by the mob

Backing into Parfitt to have a good year isn't baseless, being negative on him is counter to plenty of evidence (112 games of it at his age in his position is heaps). His non-selection says nothing against him. You can only pick so many on ballers in the 22. He could have been 99.99% as good as the last person in and still not gotten selected.

Not everything has the same element of subjectivity, often ducking criticism of a s**t take as a "personal view" or opinion, just shows that it doesn't stand up on his own. No one will care about a baseless positive take, its much nicer to be around people who don't s**t on things for little reason.
If you are taking what is only an opinion on the internet to bed with you of a night that's sad,it's just not that important.

If you are taking what is only an opinion on the internet to bed with you of a night that's sad,it's just not that important.

Well I read his comment at 11pm... rather than replying straight away, I replied in the morning. Less of a "man I stayed up all night tossing and turning thinking about my response" and more of "I'll be less cranky in the morning"

Thoughts?
They were not as good as they (and a quite a few pundits) thought.
Home ground bullies... away, not so great.
Same problem as Brisbane.

Well I read his comment at 11pm... rather than replying straight away, I replied in the morning. Less of a "man I stayed up all night tossing and turning thinking about my response" and more of "I'll be less cranky in the morning"
That's not so bad maybe more of us should practice that. like me there are plenty here that just see red and jump in boots and all and don't add much at times I'm slowly learning that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back