Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, I'm heaps happier with Lethers out of the footy department. He's much more in his wheel house as CEO.

We look like we have our best off field set up possibly ever. Bassat has realised that austerity hasn't served the on field team too well finally and has left nothing off the table.

I'm not vindictive and happy to give them another chance in more suitable roles. As much as everyone loved Finnis, I don't think he had an interest in the football stuff.
Is he though ?
Really hope Bassett keeps a very close eye on him, hasn't really been to successful in his last few jobs
I would be happier if he was moved on

Again you are looking at stats. Ask the unbiased footy people about geelongs midfield and they will tell you the balance is excellent. You don’t rate Guthrie I gather because of stats but those unbiased footy people know his importance. Our midfield has terrible balance but you are so hung up on stats you can’t see it. Surprisingly it nearly looked it’s best in the last game of the year when crouch didn’t play and Steele probably attended many less bounces than normal and we different types in there like hanners and owens. Not surprising to me that a different type of player helped our midfield. Luckily we look to have potentially different types of mids because using the same will get us the same average results. Midfields decide results over a season. They can save ordinary backlines or make ordinary forward lines look good.

Guthrie was their only full time centre mid for the entire year. Selwood and Danger were managed to get them through to finals with much less CBAs than normal years. In the second half of the season Blicavs and Atkins played heaps more out of the middle. I think Guthrie is a very good player but he's no better than any of our players. He's close to or as good as A grade but he's not a star.

I'd say we have a good mix with all players available. Gresham, Ross are more mobile types who can get inside and outside. Crouch and Steele very good defensive inside players. Jones some pace and contested ball winning. Nothing wrong with out midfield on paper. If we can get the ball outside to good users and set up a forward line I think we could be very good. If Owens and Windhager come on quickly we are even better off. If we get Sinclair on ball and Hill back to a wing we bat deep with lots of different types. Your mate Ratts just couldn't work out how to get out of first gear.

Midfield across the competition has changed though, guys like Macray who piss around stat padding are out of style, moving the ball forward quickly with fewer touches is what everyone wants. Thats why we wanted DeGoey, his ability to win a contest and motor away is excellent. 20 JDG stats are worth 40 of Macray's.

DougalHoward

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Guthrie was their only full time centre mid for the entire year. Selwood and Danger were managed to get them through to finals with much less CBAs than normal years. In the second half of the season Blicavs and Atkins played heaps more out of the middle. I think Guthrie is a very good player but he's no better than any of our players. He's close to or as good as A grade but he's not a star.

I'd say we have a good mix with all players available. Gresham, Ross are more mobile types who can get inside and outside. Crouch and Steele very good defensive inside players. Jones some pace and contested ball winning. Nothing wrong with out midfield on paper. If we can get the ball outside to good users and set up a forward line I think we could be very good. If Owens and Windhager come on quickly we are even better off. If we get Sinclair on ball and Hill back to a wing we bat deep with lots of different types. Your mate Ratts just couldn't work out how to get out of first gear.

Midfield across the competition has changed though, guys like Macray who piss around stat padding are out of style, moving the ball forward quickly with fewer touches is what everyone wants. Thats why we wanted DeGoey, his ability to win a contest and motor away is excellent. 20 JDG stats are worth 40 of Macray's.
Ross mentioned putting Sinclair inside on the Footy Classified clip puppy_dog7 posted before

Jun 23, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t need to see the review, it’ll just fuel the media agenda as well.

I’m more than comfortable with the decisions Andrew Bassat has made, the longer he’s at the club the more hope I have of strong commitment to doing what’s necessary.

If a billionaire with a strong commercial presence and background is being questioned, what hope does anyone have?

He’s brought in all the right people to assist Ross, it’s up to the staff and players to do their job now, the board gets a tick from me.
We saw how well the world went with Donald Trump.😉🤭

Jun 23, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can understand wanting to see an explanation. I think the counter argument is whether a public explanation would be counter-productive.
I thinks it’s a matter of say what you mean and mean what you say.
‘He made mention the report would be released before Cup Day.
He’s credibility is lost by not delivering on his words.

That'd be me, I'll try and be there.......

George sounds fairly unhinged with a slab down the front of his tracks-dacks, you might fit in well.

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Let’s hope there’s an inquest 🥱

Sport is a business, it’s ruthless, people make mistakes, someone has to pay for those mistakes.

Most of the time, that’s the coach/manager.

BAB73671-1F40-4FB7-9F72-5FBDF844490B.png

True Believer

All Australian
Jul 6, 2005
My own little world
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Saints
George sounds fairly unhinged with a slab down the front of his tracks-dacks, you might fit in well.
I have zero interest in the front of George's trackie dacks......

I've sat through his boring accounts of twitching quads and quivering pecs etc, and I still get back to the time honoured truth of

"SELF PRAISE IS NO RECOMMENDATION !!".......

I don't think Gallagher is in charge of drafting anyway.

Chris Toce is the head of recruiting
I know but he's part of the list management team, you'd think having him in limbo before the draft isn't a good thing. If he wants to go back to SA we should just get rid of him now.

I know but he's part of the list management team, you'd think having him in limbo before the draft isn't a good thing. If he wants go back to SA we should just get rid of him now.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the talk of him returning to SA just happened to be while the review was taking place. I think we’re sticking with him because we couldn’t find a better replacement but we’ll find someone during the year and he’ll be gone at some stage next year.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the talk of him returning to SA just happened to be while the review was taking place. I think we’re sticking with him because we couldn’t find a better replacement but we’ll find someone during the year and he’ll be gone at some stage next year.
Think you are right, feel the same way

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I don't think it's just the stats he's looking at. If you watch Geelong they spread the load and the mids never really dominated other teams outside of probably the GF

Sure they have an excellent balance but it was the way they played together. Stack them up 1v1 against other teams' mids and no matter how you look at it they're only average or slightly above.
Exactly. That’s what I’m saying. It’s balance. Who said you need stars? You need a star midfield though. It helps having a stars. Pretty sure danger was a star when it mattered as was Selwood.

Exactly. That’s what I’m saying. It’s balance. Who said you need stars? You need a star midfield though. It helps having a stars. Pretty sure danger was a star when it mattered as was Selwood.
Guthrie gets undersold as well. He’s an All Australian midfielder which only one guy on our team can say.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

We wanted degoey because he is a match winner on his day. As good as Steele is he isn’t a match winner. The reason gresh played there is he is a match winner. The balance is average at best unless of course the media haven’t got a clue. Our midfield isn’t in the top 8 by any footy persons standard. Clutching at straws mentioning jones who was dropped. No idea why McCrae is mentioned. If you think our forward line is the main issue then we have no hope of playing finals because on paper it could actually be worse than this season depending if you rate Marshall as a forward. Luckily it’s the midfield and we hopefully already have the players to make that better in the next year or two.

Really? He was on the list of people to replace Gil wasn't he?
I wish l was that unsuccessful....
Is he replacing Gil ?
I don’t rate his time at our club think he has done a pretty ordinary job and find it weird that Ratts is the only one to get the chop

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
We wanted degoey because he is a match winner on his day. As good as Steele is he isn’t a match winner. The reason gresh played there is he is a match winner. The balance is average at best unless of course the media haven’t got a clue. Our midfield isn’t in the top 8 by any footy persons standard. Clutching at straws mentioning jones who was dropped. No idea why McCrae is mentioned. If you think our forward line is the main issue then we have no hope of playing finals because on paper it could actually be worse than this season depending if you rate Marshall as a forward. Luckily it’s the midfield and we hopefully already have the players to make that better in the next year or two.
Would you put Sincs into the midfield?

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is he replacing Gil ?
I don’t rate his time at our club think he has done a pretty ordinary job and find it weird that Ratts is the only one to get the chop
I think our issue was largely lack of funds or quality applicants.
He dumped Richo and gave the list and Footy dpt a good churn.
Not every appointment worked out but they've been substantially better than who we had in place and l suspect Finnis was also a limiting factor in all of it.

Back