USA NASA - Artemis 1 launch

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll watch the launch live if at all possible, since this is the first flight of the rocket that will eventually take humans out of Earth orbit for the first time since Apollo 17, 50 years ago. It's a shame that the launch looks to have been scrubbed due to technical difficulties, again. Better that than the thing blows up, I suppose.

Don't know why this hasn't got more media. Very big moment in space exploration.

I love watching rockets lift off. The bigger the better.

Artemis 3 will be the big moment. But even then, a moment we had 53 years ago.

Science usually moves forward. This is a $30b reset with the hope we can use it to get to Mars. An actual jump.

Science usually moves forward. This is a $30b reset with the hope we can use it to get to Mars. An actual jump.
I think even calling it a 'big' moment is a stretch. If any moderately interesting Trump or Russia or whatever shenanigans are going on at the same time it'll probably barely be covered.

Recreating an achievement from over a half century ago using a rocket cobbled together from junker equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great and I love big rockets too but the RS-25 (awesome engine) and SSRBs were literally designed in the 70s.

Doesn't really capture the imagination, does it?

I think from recent times the JWST is a far bigger deal than the whole Artemis thing.

I think even calling it a 'big' moment is a stretch. If any moderately interesting Trump or Russia or whatever shenanigans are going on at the same time it'll probably barely be covered.

Recreating an achievement from over a half century ago using a rocket cobbled together from junker equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great and I love big rockets too but the RS-25 (awesome engine) and SSRBs were literally designed in the 70s.

Doesn't really capture the imagination, does it?

I think from recent times the JWST is a far bigger deal than the whole Artemis thing.

Bring back the Saturn V.

Possibly the greatest technical invention of the 20th century. Certainly top 5.

Bring back the Saturn V.

Possibly the greatest technical invention of the 20th century. Certainly top 5.
Outdone by microwave popcorn I'm afraid.
Wondering if the mods should put this thread into the Science/space section.

Yeah maybe it is just Apollo rebooted. The thought of going back to the moon thrills me though. Setting up a moonbase will be amazing as will Mars.

Agree the Saturn V was the pinnacle of man's inventive powers. A lot of it was so mindblowing for the time and mindblowing in scale. Just random stuff like the turbopump inside each F1 engine - Five of them each generating 55,000HP pumping 2.5t of propellant and oxidiser per second. And that was just the pump to drive the fuel through each engine!

Compared to that the solid rocket boosters are really just big firecrackers. So I agree it's not anything particularly new.

It feels like it should be in society given the significance...

Anyway, apologies if not the right spot.

Edit - forgot the 1 šŸ¤Ø
It's also discussed here on the science board, although part of a more general topic:

Outdone by microwave popcorn I'm afraid.
Wondering if the mods should put this thread into the Science/space section.
I'm torn. Love me some rockets and the implications of this one could result in space travel/efforts to begin the colonisation of Mars within our lifetime, if things go well.

Leave it here for now. It'll wither on the vine if not enough people are interested in discussing it, and if they are and the chat turns too sciency for the SRP we'll move it then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back