List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting (paywalled) CODEsports article on the drafting process from Steve Johnson.

Focuses on his time coaching at Sydney.

Not allowed to post the whole article, so some snippets;

It was the year that we drafted Elijah Taylor

Holistic approach;

Stevie J, the philosopher;

So Stevie J really liked McInerney.

If Allen goes at 7

Then others will slide

We could have someone unexpected available at 14 and 18

This draft is so even from about 5 onwards

Especially 10 to 25 very little difference
My thoughts almost exactly. I think there's a drop between 14 and 15, which means if Allan bolts then that'll mean one of those guys will make their way to us which would only be a good thing... unless it's Hewett then forget about it

So Stevie J really liked McInerney.
I'd assume there would've had to be a really, really compelling 'for' argument out of the Swans camp with McInerney. He was an extraordinary left-field pick, even by Beatson standards. Whatever they saw, they must've really liked to make that call. (And thank God they did!)

I'd assume there would've had to be a really, really compelling 'for' argument out of the Swans camp with McInerney. He was an extraordinary left-field pick, even by Beatson standards. Whatever they saw, they must've really liked to make that call. (And thank God they did!)
Yep.

And given that both Rowy and McI were “reaches” in the 2018 draft, you’d hope the usual “I’m so annoyed” crowd won’t emerge again on draft night if / when we pick a few unheralded kids.

Yep.

And given that both Rowy and McI were “reaches” in the 2018 draft, you’d hope the usual “I’m so annoyed” crowd won’t emerge again on draft night if / when we pick a few unheralded kids.
Oh but they will always emerge. Personally I'm nearly at the point with Beatson where if he picks a name we've all heard of and speculated about I'll think he's lost his touch.

Luke Teal just screams a Beatson special: defender who can play tall or small, good kick of the ball, not much exposed form due to injuries.

We love a prospect with huge scope for improvement who we can mould into what we want them to be.

Luke Teal just screams a Beatson special: defender who can play tall or small, good kick of the ball, not much exposed form due to injuries.

We love a prospect with huge scope for improvement who we can mould into what we want them to be.
My thoughts exactly

Plus the Sydney link with his father being a ex player

For what it’s worth I think Rowbottom and McInerney were both Dalrymple picks. It was his first year with us and I remember an interview straight after the draft and he said he couldn’t take any credit for Blakey as he was an Academy player, the implication being he chose the others. I’m sure he and Beatson work closely, but it has been said KB looks after trades and SD draft.
* Just wish I had the same recall for share tips.

2 Swans Academy kids have been selected in the 30 man squad AFL Academy.
Cleary and Cabor are both smaller types (low 180ish cm).

I thought that when we had Campbell and Gulden coming the following year that we wouldn't draft smaller types, but ..
1st pick - Stephens
2nd - Gould
3rd - Taylor
4th - Warner
plus we picked Brady Rowles and Cody hirst .. Hirst especially was a midget.

I wonder if having Cabor and Cleary coming 2023 draft if that will influence our picks this year??

Yep.

That's a disingenuous comment DQ, nobody complains about "reaches" for picks in the 20's and 40's, I'm not even sure there's such thing as a reach at those picks (well maybe Matt "Smoky" Davis!) as it's a crap shoot in the latter stages of any draft

The "I'm so annoyed" crowd emerges when those reaches take place with first round picks when safer and higher rated options are available. Ling is the obvious example, but the jury is still out with Stephens and Sheldrick (and no I'm not writing them off yet)

I remember his dad playing for us in the dark old days, he was a really good player cut down by injury, let's hope it's not a genetic trait

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 Swans Academy kids have been selected in the 30 man squad AFL Academy.
Cleary and Cabor are both smaller types (low 180ish cm).

I thought that when we had Campbell and Gulden coming the following year that we wouldn't draft smaller types, but ..
1st pick - Stephens
2nd - Gould
3rd - Taylor
4th - Warner
plus we picked Brady Rowles and Cody hirst .. Hirst especially was a midget.

I wonder if having Cabor and Cleary coming 2023 draft if that will influence our picks this year??
At the most their top 30. Unless they both improve out of sight next year - at least that's what the draft experts over on the draft boards have told me.
And I'm not being facetious about the 'draft experts' these are the guys who write for Rookie Me website etc.

That's a disingenuous comment DQ, nobody complains about "reaches" for picks in the 20's and 40's, I'm not even sure there's such thing as a reach at those picks (well maybe Matt "Smoky" Davis!) as it's a crap shoot in the latter stages of any draft

The "I'm so annoyed" crowd emerges when those reaches take place with first round picks when safer and higher rated options are available. Ling is the obvious example, but the jury is still out with Stephens and Sheldrick (and no I'm not writing them off yet)
Ha, fair enough - but the proof either way shall lie in the board come draft night.

For example, if we take Ethan Phillips at 17.… (which might end up in the 20’s after matched bids)

Last edited:
I remember his dad playing for us in the dark old days, he was a really good player cut down by injury, let's hope it's not a genetic trait
Sounds like the injuries he's had have been just bad luck... appendix taken out then a broken shoulder(?)

Nothing to suggest he'd be any more injury-prone than any other draftee.

For what it’s worth I think Rowbottom and McInerney were both Dalrymple picks. It was his first year with us and I remember an interview straight after the draft and he said he couldn’t take any credit for Blakey as he was an Academy player, the implication being he chose the others. I’m sure he and Beatson work closely, but it has been said KB looks after trades and SD draft.
* Just wish I had the same recall for share tips.
Yeah I was discussing this the other day, how our recruiters job is largely already done for them with the academy kids and all they have to do is acquire all the picks necessary to match the bid. Dalrymple's first true picks for us were Rowbottom followed by McInerney. Talk about making an impression at your new job!

I hope both Cleary and Cabor grow a few centimetres in the next 12 months which is more than possible. If they can get to 185cm that would be great.
Does it really matter if they don't? 181cm is a fine size for an inside mid and half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back