Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to hear your reasoning for this. While you could be right, it does seem an unusual view to take.

The fear with draftees who've 'reached their ceiling' often comes with players who already have AFL bodies. They're essentially men playing against boys. Ben Hobbs copped that criticism last year, as have James Worpel and Jack Graham in the past. There's a fear from clubs to draft them because they are already as physically developed as they ever will be, leaving the room for improvement being minimal in comparison to their peers who still have a low percentage of muscle mass.

I personally don't see that at all with Clark. While he's unlikely to grow taller, he's still got a lot of size to put on his frame. He's no man mountain...in fact he's quite the opposite. At 181cm and 77kg the fact that he's able to be as gritty and tough as he his should bode well for him. You can always add muscle to your frame, what you can't do is teach the tenacity that Clark has. It's one of those things that you either have or you don't.

You also can't teach his natural leap or ability to kick on either side of his body quite fluently...or his ability to extract the ball in traffic and choose the right option. Not to mention his on field leadership way ahead of his years (like a former superstar captain of ours), and his toughness against much, much bigger bodies.

I'll say it again, if we didn't have access to Clark, we'd all be giving him much more respect than some of us currently are. His ranking in the AFL world has gone virtually unchanged in 3 years of his pro underage career. The kid is an absolute gun, and has so much development left in him.

You can't teach the tenacity that he has, and he'll only get better the longer he's in our system. If he's there we'll pick him. If he's not, then we'll pick next best available on our list. We've been bringing our underage group together for the last couple of years (Conway, Bruhn, Henry, Whyte, Knevitt) - and he's the the absolute A grader that finishes it all off. You can't buy that kind of synergy - and it bodes very well for the future makeup of our squad.

I reckon Busslinger will be gone with Carlton's pick for what it's worth (pick 10, or pick 11 after ashcroft)... So if we split picks for 12 or 14 or 15 and something extra, I don't expect him to be available at those picks.

Basically my mindset is that come our selection we will have the choice of either Clark, Ginbey or Allan... + maybe Tsatas (if he slides).

I have said for a while that I just think we will land Clark.

Sounding like the Poo will go before our selection + also Humprey (who is the player I want but think we will just miss).

1: Brisbane - Ashcroft
2: GWS - Cadman
3: North - Sheez/Wardlaw
4: North - Sheez/Wardlaw

The Top 4 sound set in stone

5: Ess - Phillipou/Tsatas (mail is starting to point to the poo)
6: GC - Humprey (sadly, because I was hoping he'd slip to us but would need a Ginbey/Clark/Tsatas to slide in here for that to be a possibility).
7: Hawks - Tsatas/Phillipou/Ginbey/Clark/Mckenzie (this is the one I'm just not confident on, they appear keen on the poo but might be already goners)
8: Gee - Clark/Ginbey/Allen + maybe Tsatas if Hawks don't take him after the Dons swooped on the Poo.

I'd love Humprey but just think he will be off the board.

If WCE wants Ginbey/Allan bad enough and thinks we will take whichever they want most... maybe we can move back one spot (assuming we are happy to pass on that particular player) and still get Clark (there's def noise that we have put much work into Ginbey & Allan).

I'm also not against taking Ginbey/Allan if we think they will turn out to be better players in the long term.

But I just think Clark will be available and we will select him... Worlds have just aligned with him being a Falcon, Selwood retiring and us getting #7 from the GC without it sounding like we were pushing hard to get #5 off them instead of #7.

Bring on the draft... The wait seems like it's taking forever.

Not sure they’d be overly interested in our pick 7 given they already have pick 8.

Swapping picks and gaining a Future 2nd does two things

• prevents us from picking him
  • prevents us trading the pick to another club eg Saints etc etc

Does seem a lot but it’s the peace of mind.

I’d be asking them for sure. Especially if we have a group of 2-3 people that are hard to split.

Wait! Us swapping pick 7 for the 3 picks?

Ha ha ha ha. What are you guys on?
If we used 3 picks to get pick 7 in this draft people here would go mental.

In fact they’d probably go mental if we used two picks.

You also can't teach his natural leap or ability to kick on either side of his body quite fluently...or his ability to extract the ball in traffic and choose the right option. Not to mention his on field leadership way ahead of his years (like a former superstar captain of ours), and his toughness against much, much bigger bodies.

I'll say it again, if we didn't have access to Clark, we'd all be giving him much more respect than some of us currently are. His ranking in the AFL world has gone virtually unchanged in 3 years of his pro underage career. The kid is an absolute gun, and has so much development left in him.

You can't teach the tenacity that he has, and he'll only get better the longer he's in our system. If he's there we'll pick him. If he's not, then we'll pick next best available on our list. We've been bringing our underage group together for the last couple of years (Conway, Bruhn, Henry, Whyte, Knevitt) - and he's the the absolute A grader that finishes it all off. You can't buy that kind of synergy - and it bodes very well for the future makeup of our squad.

I loved what I saw of Clark in the U18 champs but I can’t shake the idea that he’s very much like Deven Robertson. In fact, you could argue Robertson looked better in his draft year. Touted top 10 all year and slid to pick 22. Fwiw, I still think Robertson will be a gun eventually.

I loved what I saw of Clark in the U18 champs but I can’t shake the idea that he’s very much like Deven Robertson. In fact, you could argue Robertson looked better in his draft year. Touted top 10 all year and slid to pick 22. Fwiw, I still think Robertson will be a gun eventually.
its such a shame that he looks like someone who you think will be a gun...

Mate I'm with ya.

I actually just finished watching the Vic Country v WA nationals game.

I'll say the exact same thing I said about Clark after I watched the Vic Metro v Vic Country game.

I DO NOT WANT CLARK... I'm trying to love him (because I think we will take him) but he just doesn't do it for me.

The Robertson comparison is solid and I worry If we take him it'll burn us by passing up bigger, taller, faster more explosive types like Allan, Ginbey or Phillipou that have more flexibility in their games.

Clark cracks in and is a hard nut... but I just don't see much else in his game.

Sheesh, Rhys Mathieson and Robertson crack in but they ain't top liners.

Besides winning a few nice hardballs per game, I just don't see it with Clark. The upside just isn't there from what I see with my own eyes.

He also just looks small and won't find winning it in tight against quality AFL mids anywhere near as easy as he does playing v kids.

Not enough strings to his bow... Looks a solid player for sure but I nahh I'd prefer we risk it on a kid with more upside.

Much prefer any of Humprey, Phillipou, Ginbey or Allan... If Humprey is gone (likely) I'd love for us to punt on Allan.

P.S Ollie Hollands impresses me every time I see him... Looks like a very safe bet to be a good AFL two-way running player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swapping picks and gaining a Future 2nd does two things

• prevents us from picking him
  • prevents us trading the pick to another club eg Saints etc etc

Does seem a lot but it’s the peace of mind.

I’d be asking them for sure. Especially if we have a group of 2-3 people that are hard to split.

The thing is you can't ask them... Because if you do, they automatically know that you don't want Ginbey.

You gotta make them think you want him and are taking him and have them come to you very late about it.

Much, much better kick than Robertson, and has more strings to his bow. I honestly don't think he'll make it at Brisbane anymore, as they've gone for the 'now' and he's just become solid depth.

I loved Robertson in his draft year and was surprised we didn't pick him, but I genuinely think the WA factor after losing TK, played a big part - as Wells was furious over the whole thing and probably just wanted a good local kid over another WA kid who was rumoured to have 'go home factor.'

Clark has something Robertson doesn't though - composure and class under pressure...rather than just blindly hacking the ball 30 times a game. It is actually remarkable how similar to Selwood he is in that aspect.

Honestly the player I find Robertson most comparable to in this draft is Tsatas - now that Robertson is 185 and 85 kg. Both ball magnets and a similar size and height, but both have real knocks on their disposal and don't have that much development left. The player I'd compare Jhye to in that same draft is Serong. Same toughness on the inside and same balanced kick on the outside - but not as quick. To be honest, it's ridiculous how similar he is to Sel in a lot of his traits/deficiencies (he rolls his tackles in the exact same way rather than ducking which takes ridiculous core strength).

That's how I see this all ending up once the dust settles, having a player who is ready to go 2024, who will play 250 games and you just know what you will get every single game. He'll drag you over the line on sheer will alone...because the situation demands it, and stick his head where he shouldn't because he wants the ball more than anyone else. What separates him from the aforementioned though, is that his disposal is actually really decent. You watch the way he kicks the ball in his draft afl.com.au highlights package, and there's a touch of Ablett how he weights it on both sides and lowers his centre of gravity to make sure the ball doesn't deviate. His disposal will never be that good, but it's good enough and his technique is really solid. That's not to mention him having the ability to take a solid leap off two feet, rather than just being that in and under player with no other strings to his bow.

A better highlights package for mine is the one against Oakleigh here - where he demonstrates a lot of this all in the one clip. He's being seriously undersold, IMO, and people are pigeon-holing him as this Parfitt/Atkins type...when he's actually got elements of various types of players - rather than just one.

Anyway, only 5 more days until all the speculation is over...and then we'll love whoever we get - regardless of who they are, haha!

Last edited:
Much, much better kick than Robertson, and has more strings to his bow. I honestly don't think he'll make it at Brisbane anymore, as they've gone for the 'now' and he's just become solid depth.

I loved Robertson in his draft year and was surprised we didn't pick him, but I genuinely think the WA factor after losing TK, played a big part - as Wells was furious over the whole thing and probably just wanted a good local kid over another WA kid who was rumoured to have 'go home factor.'

Clark has something Robertson doesn't though - composure and class under pressure...rather than just blindly hacking the ball 30 times a game. It is actually remarkable how similar to Selwood he is in that aspect.

Honestly the player I find Robertson most comparable to in this draft is Tsatas - now that Robertson is 185 and 85 kg. Both ball magnets and a similar size and height, but both have real knocks on their disposal and don't have that much development left. The player I'd compare Jhye to in that same draft is Serong. Same toughness on the inside and same balanced kick on the outside - but not as quick. To be honest, it's ridiculous how similar he is to Sel in a lot of his traits/deficiencies (he rolls his tackles in the exact same way rather than ducking which takes ridiculous core strength).

That's how I see this all ending up once the dust settles, having a player who is ready to go 2024, who will play 250 games and you just know what you will get every single game. He'll drag you over the line on sheer will alone...because the situation demands it, and stick his head where he shouldn't because he wants the ball more than anyone else. What separates him from the aforementioned though, is that his disposal is actually really decent. You watch the way he kicks the ball in his draft afl.com.au highlights package, and there's a touch of Ablett how he weights it on both sides and lowers his centre of gravity to make sure the ball doesn't deviate. His disposal will never be that good, but it's good enough and his technique is really solid. That's not to mention him having the ability to take a solid leap off two feet, rather than just being that in and under player with no other strings to his bow.

A better highlights package for mine is the one against Oakleigh here - where he demonstrates a lot of this all in the one clip. He's being seriously undersold, IMO, and people are pigeon-holing him as this Parfitt/Atkins type...when he's actually got elements of various types of players - rather than just one.

Anyway, only 5 more days until all the speculation is over...and then we'll love whoever we get - regardless of who they are, haha!

You've sold me mate.

I was of the opinion that I didn't really care who we drafted. We're in the business of winning flags, and we've done just that...everything after has been gravy to me and with pick 7 we're bound to get a talented player no matter what.

.....but you've now got me on the Clark train. Let's get him in the door, where he belongs.

Mate I'm with ya.

I actually just finished watching the Vic Country v WA nationals game.

I'll say the exact same thing I said about Clark after I watched the Vic Metro v Vic Country game.

I DO NOT WANT CLARK... I'm trying to love him (because I think we will take him) but he just doesn't do it for me.

The Robertson comparison is solid and I worry If we take him it'll burn us by passing up bigger, taller, faster more explosive types like Allan, Ginbey or Phillipou that have more flexibility in their games.

Clark cracks in and is a hard nut... but I just don't see much else in his game.

Sheesh, Rhys Mathieson and Robertson crack in but they ain't top liners.

Besides winning a few nice hardballs per game, I just don't see it with Clark. The upside just isn't there from what I see with my own eyes.

He also just looks small and won't find winning it in tight against quality AFL mids anywhere near as easy as he does playing v kids.

Not enough strings to his bow... Looks a solid player for sure but I nahh I'd prefer we risk it on a kid with more upside.

Much prefer any of Humprey, Phillipou, Ginbey or Allan... If Humprey is gone (likely) I'd love for us to punt on Allan.

P.S Ollie Hollands impresses me every time I see him... Looks like a very safe bet to be a good AFL two-way running player.
Bad take.

After watching this, Clark looks a way better prospect than Tsatas and has a lot tangibles to Selwood/Serong. He’s probably not got the ceiling of other draft prospects but he’s got the fundamentals and is a modern day midfielder, who’s gonna develop really nicely in the best team in the comp and he’s for sure gonna be a 15 year career type player.
I’d be pretty excited to get a player that looks like a sure bet, and he’ll continue to allow Geelong to remain in the finals hunt.

Phillipou cannot kick.
Can’t you guys see it?

Look, we have zero control over who the club picks. But if we had pick 7 and pick 24 I’d spew if we took him at 24.

You cannot fix those pie floaters.
He bounces the ball right hand and kicks on the left. It makes no sense.

He is playing U18 where there is space, and time to adjust and deliver. Yet he still kicks floaters.

Good luck at AFL level where there isn’t time.

That offer would be tempting. I'd probably take it given our hand next year.

I certainly think given our lack of picks next year (although there are other ways to solve that problem and keep p7) that more 2023 currency would appeal but id want a top 15 pick this year and a future 1st next year as a minimum to do it.

It also depends on draft night who our target is..for example i doubt clark is still there at 13 but busslinger is a decent chance to be, mckenzie, hollands, hewett are all chances to be, so you would only trade back if you think you can still get your target player and a future 1st.

Like the thinking ... but the problem with 13 is that the Eagles have already had two picks. If Ginbey is going to the Gold Coast then Eagles taking Busslinger at 12?

What the eagles will do will shape other picks in the 8-20 range, they clearly traded back to avoid the vic metro flight risks (tsatas wardlaw sheezel) but i wouldnt say they take buss..barass is signed long term and edwards are very good..id say they need mids and take ginbey if he gets through (though hes overrated imo) and at 12 they are probably looking at allen or hewett or a kid from SA/vic country (ie not a vic metro kid). Buss could still go top 10 but i think might get through to the teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back