News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Oisin Mullin has some serious athletic & highly skilled talent & unlike some, also 'enjoys body contact'. This kid seems destined to be a class act in our tough AFL environment & the fact that the Cats have recruited Oisin at still a relatively young age as he heads into the prime of his athletic capabilities over the next 8 years or so is a master-stroke by the club, here's hoping for a sensational outcome for both Oisin & the pussy cats !!! šŸ™ šŸ‘ GO CATTERS

MAYO GAA BLOG - OisĆ­nā€™s departure an early blow for new management team

Last edited:

Iā€™m confident Mullins can make it in AFL if he works harder than other players to catch-up on his develop. Itā€™s a good time for him to join as opportunities will open up in the next few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im just calling him U2....
after Larry Mullen.... and they're both Irish

But like U2 we aint gonna see him for a while. Bloke never played the game... has the skills by the look... but remember the flogging Shark got on here until about 3 weeks out from Finals... and even then it was still Rod Marsh on him... So I fully expect the boards over expectation to flow on with U2....

I expect nothing from him for 2 years at all.

But good to have him here and hope he gets the time he's gonna need.

GO Catters

I expect nothing from him for 2 years at all.

But good to have him here and hope he gets the time he's gonna need.

GO Catters
Did MOC play or push for a game in his 1st year with us or was that his 2nd.

I'm certainly not expecting Mullin to play next season for a couple of reasons.
1: It's just expecting alot of a guy that hasn't played the game... even though I think others have done it.
2: We are not a bad side looking to blood young players willy nilly.

Apparently Mullin is a serious talent though and not lacking compared to others that have come across and made it.

If he puts in he could be a massive bonus for us and I'm happy to not expect it to just happen straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has the potential to be a very tough explosive midfielder. Not sure why everyone assumes the irish boys will be dashing defenders.
Probably because that's where most of them have ended up. But I agree, based on his highlights he seems to like the physicality which could serve him well as a midfielder.

Someone posted some of his 2019 stats earlier in the thread which would've put him 2nd in the 20m sprint, 2nd in the agility test and 4th in the vertical jump at this year's combine. Not bad.
His athleticism certainly stands out in the limited footage available.
He also plays with an incredible attacking mindset which should translate well into our code.
Looks to be a confident kick on both sides and to have a natural handball technique.
To be honest he looks like a perfect CatB and Iā€™m sure we will bring out the best in him.šŸ‘šŸ‘

Did MOC play or push for a game in his 1st year with us or was that his 2nd.
First - I think that he had played maybe 7 games of AFL ever before getting a senior call up - and it showed. Wouldn't be surprised to see get Oisin a game or two next year, but only just to keep him keen, will be very raw.

First - I think that he had played maybe 7 games of AFL ever before getting a senior call up - and it showed. Wouldn't be surprised to see get Oisin a game or two next year, but only just to keep him keen, will be very raw.
We have a lot of medium size guys already on the list to evaluate - Knevitt , Dempsey , Willis , Kroeger and Whyte before we even consider Henry , Bruhn , Bowes and pick 7
Interesting brines ahead - I wonder if the 2022 Flag May give us a licence to experiment a little?

Excerpt from the Irish Examiner:

Speaking to the AFL Exchange podcast, Wells also said a chance meeting played a part in the move. Several Geelong Premiership winners travelled to Ireland in early October to watch Mark Oā€™Connorā€™s Dingle in the Kerry county championship. That night they met Mullin, who happened to be in Dingle at a stag party.

ā€œAs it turns out, a lot of our guys went out to Ireland to watch Mark Oā€™Connor play and Zach Tuohy got married over there. They ran into him and perhaps that has got him excited about coming too. He is a running player; he is not a big fella, more of a defender."

At the preseason Dec 19 Europe combine Mullin's 20m sprint (2.86sec) agility (8.06sec) and Vertical Jump (70cm) would have placed him as the fastest at the 2020 Australian NAB combine, 3rd in agility and equal 3rd in Standing jump.

Heā€™s athletic.
Definitely an athletic freak.

Knuckle down, learn the game and good things will come for sure.

Excerpt from the Irish Examiner:

Speaking to the AFL Exchange podcast, Wells also said a chance meeting played a part in the move. Several Geelong Premiership winners travelled to Ireland in early October to watch Mark Oā€™Connorā€™s Dingle in the Kerry county championship. That night they met Mullin, who happened to be in Dingle at a stag party.

ā€œAs it turns out, a lot of our guys went out to Ireland to watch Mark Oā€™Connor play and Zach Tuohy got married over there. They ran into him and perhaps that has got him excited about coming too. He is a running player; he is not a big fella, more of a defender."
not sure those four words should be strung together

:tongueoutv1:

I bet the "specimen" will play seniors this year.

He is a physical specimen. Good for the new draftees to follow this bloke in the gym.

He has the potential to be a very tough explosive midfielder. Not sure why everyone assumes the irish boys will be dashing defenders.
He does have the potential to play midfield, but most end up starting off as defenders as its easier to read the game. He was a defender in Gaelic too.

I bet the "specimen" will play seniors this year.

He is a physical specimen. Good for the new draftees to follow this bloke in the gym.

He does have the potential to play midfield, but most end up starting off as defenders as its easier to read the game. He was a defender in Gaelic too.
Good point regarding his role being a Gaelic defender as well.. might just be more of a naturally instinctive role to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back