Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Agree with this. I actually wonder if playing more with those youngsters has helped accelerate his development as much as the performance of our senior core. Not dismissing the impact and example set by our leaders, but I think there can be just as much inspiration from your peers as a young player.

You're looking around seeing your close mates who are all the same age as you (give or take) and they're taking the game on, playing fearlessly, making mistakes but moving on from them, themselves only in their first few finals of their lives. It has to become infectious. A "If they can do it, what's stopping me?" kind of mentality.
Lives with Warner so has a great example to follow!

I've always stuck up for him - and I like him so this is a minor thing but he has clearly been given instructions to hit it long from back pocket - which is fine but he needs to land it closer to the boundary - its just opening up the corridor a bit too much when he hits it 20 metres in from the boundary instead of 10

I've always stuck up for him - and I like him so this is a minor thing but he has clearly been given instructions to hit it long from back pocket - which is fine but he needs to land it closer to the boundary - its just opening up the corridor a bit too much when he hits it 20 metres in from the boundary instead of 10
He wasn't the only one to do that

I like him and think he's an important piece of the puzzle, but I didn't think he was as good last season as everyone thought. Hope he can take it up a few notches in 2023
How good did everyone think he was?

Wasn't in the 22 until post-bye, nor was there much demand for him to be.

Strung together some decent games that made everyone think he deserved to stay in the team.

Had a few games where people just thought he was surprisingly good (round 19 vs Adelaide comes to mind, also round 23 vs St Kilda when few others stood up.)

And in his first final he was our best youngster in the QF against Melbourne, so was deservedly recognised for a rise that saw him from VFL staple mid-year to playing really well in a big final.

Not sure there was much hoopla beyond just celebrating each time he took another little baby step forward in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm backing in Dyl for a big year. Mostly wing but with more rotations through the centre to add to our depth of midfield rotations. Reckon he'll average about 22 touches a game this year, 7-8 contested, only 2ish clearances but plenty of inside 50s.
I still remember that goal he kicked from out on the right wing this year. Full of confidence. He nailed it. I then thought that he has arrived!!

Might be looking too much into it but I think someone has a point to prove

You're definitely looking too much into it. I don't think the time trials have much bearing on a player's season. We might as well settle into the reality that Stephens, Fox and Gulden (and potentially Warner Jr. now?) are going to be to 2km time trials what Federer, Nadal & Djokovic are to men's tennis. Great participants who make the event boring non-factors.

I am very excited to see Stephens in action this year though!

You're definitely looking too much into it. I don't think the time trials have much bearing on a player's season. We might as well settle into the reality that Stephens, Fox and Gulden (and potentially Warner Jr. now?) are going to be to 2km time trials what Federer, Nadal & Djokovic are to men's tennis. Great participants who make the event boring non-factors.

To be fair, you probably want your wingers to be winning the time trials. Players like Stephens, Gulden etc. If Stephens in particular is putting on bulk, but still winning these, it bodes well.

I was very excited when McLean ran a PB. Great to see when the guys improve.

I was very excited when McLean ran a PB. Great to see when the guys improve.
Yeah for all his potential limitations, from all accounts it sounds like McLean has an incredible work ethic, so he's giving himself every chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back