List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
God, i hope that is not correct. If a midfielder is a poor kick then they need to be brilliant at pretty much everything else, aswell as play with the limitations of their poor kicking ability so as not to cause turnovers, in order to be any kind of significant player at AFL level.
Like the 2022 Brownlow Medalist?
From teh small tid bits I have seen of Ginby , I think he could end up a Patrick Cripps clone. His kicking aint the best but he's a hell of a footballer.

From teh small tid bits I have seen of Ginby , I think he could end up a Patrick Cripps clone. His kicking aint the best but he's a hell of a footballer.
And Fyfe, and Dangerfield... Not saying Ginbey will be as good as any of those 3, but kicking can certainly be overcome, particularly if you're more of an inside, explosive mid and we've drafted options outside who may be better users by foot (Chesser, Hewett, Culley etc).

Its much easier to dish it out then to take it

With the rules the way they are with the MRO waters would be getting weeks for those hits these days .

Those hits also prematurely ended waters career with all the shoulder troubles and elbow reconstructions

No one is saying Foley is anywhere near as good as Waters but he is the only non tall defender who is both great over head and tough courageous bar hurn who just plays like hurn

Bit harsh on Duggan here.

He's been one of our toughest/hardest players for a number of years.

Is decent overhead, and constantly drops in front of the forwards.

Now wanting to jump into an already messy argument, but if I had to select a single player on our list as 'closest comparison to Beau Waters' it would probably be Duggan.

And Fyfe, and Dangerfield... Not saying Ginbey will be as good as any of those 3, but kicking can certainly be overcome, particularly if you're more of an inside, explosive mid and we've drafted options outside who may be better users by foot (Chesser, Hewett, Culley etc).

Dusty Martin as well (noting his kicking for goal is probably elite - but his general field kicking, especially from a clearance/contest is only average).

Plenty of the explosive inside players are not the best kicks in their side. But the good news is we have TK, Sheed, Hewett, Chesser, Shuey, etc etc who are all decent kicks - the issue is getting them into a role where they have space to use those kicks (rather than needing to be the 1st possession winners).

Dusty Martin as well (noting his kicking for goal is probably elite - but his general field kicking, especially from a clearance/contest is only average).

Plenty of the explosive inside players are not the best kicks in their side. But the good news is we have TK, Sheed, Hewett, Chesser, Shuey, etc etc who are all decent kicks - the issue is getting them into a role where they have space to use those kicks (rather than needing to be the 1st possession winners).
Dusty's long field kicking when he has space is elite. Easily one of the best in the league at hitting it to a long targets advantage. Shorter kicks he's just OK.

Bit harsh on Duggan here.

He's been one of our toughest/hardest players for a number of years.

Is decent overhead, and constantly drops in front of the forwards.

Now wanting to jump into an already messy argument, but if I had to select a single player on our list as 'closest comparison to Beau Waters' it would probably be Duggan.
If Waters just got kinda average at footy instead of injured. Albeit the multiple PCL may indeed be the root of Duggan not continuing on a strong trajectory.

Duggan's best season is still 2015a. Looked like he could have been a real gem in time. Worrying IMO

Its much easier to dish it out then to take it

With the rules the way they are with the MRO waters would be getting weeks for those hits these days .

Those hits also prematurely ended waters career with all the shoulder troubles and elbow reconstructions

No one is saying Foley is anywhere near as good as Waters but he is the only non tall defender who is both great over head and tough courageous bar hurn who just plays like hurn
One of the things that stood out about Waters was that most of his hits would hard but fair. Very rarely caught the head given how many hits he laid out.

Cripps could get ball, had terrible fitness level... quite opposite...
learning to get ball is uncommon...

Cripps could get ball, had terrible fitness level... quite opposite...
learning to get ball is uncommon...
Completely ignores the post I was responding to that he isn't rated as a good kick.
We weren't discussing his production or fitness level.

I don’t see the Yeo career path for Ginbey tbh, he doesn’t seem anywhere near as damaging.

I like the Crisp comparison thrown around.
I think athletically they're similar but I think Ginbey will have way more power once he fully develops.
Jack Crisp will end up Reuben Ginbey from Wish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant see the Crisp comparisons tbh, from what I've seen from his footage he looks like an extractor who handballs off to usually Hewett (in the u18 state footage) or other runners. Seems a real in and under type of similar vein to Rowell who also doesn't have great foot skills, but you will find him at the bottom of the packs.

I reckon the next 6 players picked after Ginbey are better prospects than Ginbey, as well as Brayden George.
Ginbey did Not win the Larke medal.
What a piss poor post and well short of your usual level.

Tell me, how did you interpret the psychological testing results of Ginbey v other 1st rounders? What about his leadership, ability to take instruction, ability to follow game plans etc compared to the other 1st rounders? What “go home factor” did you put on The Poo or Clarke?

Besides, I thought you said merry Christmas and see you in the new year as you were taking a break. Is this just a sh1t stir session or are you real as your recent posts have been a little lower than you usual self?

:eyes:

73jpi0.gif

But really, let's not get all defensive and delicate now that Ginbey is an eagle. He was open slather 2 weeks ago.

Likewise Philipou the FIGJAM kent. Now he's a Saint, everything he says is outrageous and screams dickhead. 2 weeks ago he was just confident.

Nice story, but since you are here to discuss our list build, let’s breakdown the six you refer to and Brayden George to see how they fit with our list.

9. Ginbey - big bodied mid with power and speed. Exactly what our list needs.
10. Poo - the poster you responded to said poo was maybe the only one better at that point. Don’t think you will get too many arguments as most of the board appears to have preferred poo, figjam attitude and all. Me included.
11. Hollands. an interesting one, if you take a direct comparison of Ginbey v Hollands as they are different players. But knowing that we now have Hewett, the combination of Ginbey and Hewett feels much better aligned with our needs than Hollands and Hewett.
12.Fletcher. Who cares, was not available to us anyway, so no point in making the comparison.
13. Busslinger. No one has denied the talent, but this is the one area of the list we don’t need more of right now.
14. Hewett. Love that we got Hewett and would have been happy with him at 8. But Ginbey would not likely of slid to 14, and who would have been our next target here?
15. Jefferson. Falls into a much lower priority need list wise, and it is worth waiting 12 more months to see how the key forward we recruited last year (Williams) matures.
26. George. Sure, highly talented. Time will tell how he goes post knee. But let’s not pretend he was in consideration at 9 given the gamble and how many teams found it possible to resist before he was taken at 26.

So Ginbey may be a project player, but your post flippantly suggesting the next six+ were better prospects appears disingenuous when taking account of our actual needs.
Well reasoned posts that refute a post that you don't like and fail to attack the poster on a personal level have no place on a Big Footy forum. How dare you?

Also, I read a long long time ago in this very thread that Ginbey's kicking seems to be to an area rather than a specific player. Would be interested to see if he is able to tweak that a little which may bring an uptick in his efficiency.

No idea on his kicking mechanics and if they are sound or not? Would be very interested to hear from one of our 'better and footy knowledge than me' posters in that.

One thing I do know is that his ball drop is not a visually displeasing as Ainsworth's was.

Well reasoned posts that refute a post that you don't like and fail to attack the poster on a personal level have no place on a Big Footy forum. How dare you?

IMO Poo, Hollands, Busslinger, Hewett and George all significantly more talented. Kicking and ability to accumulate are big factors for me (which i think people already know as i've been burnt in the past). I have Ginbey well ahead of Jefferson though and have him basically on a par talent wise with Cadman. Talent isn't everything and as a matter of fact is a long way from it.

Otherwise we would have seen Keeler, Lemmey, George, Hewett at the very top of the draft along with Sheezel and Wardlaw. Pure footballing talent necessarily translate at AFL level and on top of that application and character are big factors. On pure talent I'd have Burgiel ahead of Ginbey TBH. But Coby is probably going to be an outside player at AFL level and likely on a flank rather than a midfielder, particularly on the inside. Ginbey's 3 key attributes are his size, athleticism and projection based off of rate of improvement in last 12 months.

* sake, this place was doing back flips about the draft a week ago and now Ginbeys a dud?

Never change any of you
I'd assume it's just so folks can backslap themselves when they called Ginbey being a dud 'from the start'. Those sorts of posts rate well around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back