Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Culley having monster preseason; Whately and other Vic pin-dick journos already drafted return home rumour stories.

I don't like that I'm already a little worried he hasn't signed. Plenty of time to go. Hopefully he, his management and the club agree to let him have a really good block of games to ply his trade and then we'll offer a contract extension that reflects his form.

I don't like that I'm already a little worried he hasn't signed. Plenty of time to go. Hopefully he, his management and the club agree to let him have a really good block of games to ply his trade and then we'll offer a contract extension that reflects his form.

Touch of paranoia yes, but at worst we could turn a mid-season pick into a decent ND pick. But yeah I'd prefer he kills it and we re-sign him.

Don't think you need to worry. Jai looks like he loves it at WCE and his reaction to being drafted indicates he's the type who's simply happy to be anywhere. Also mentioned how happy he was to be back at training with the team and pointedly said it was preferable to training on his own, or 'back in Melbourne'.

Also recall one of his first interviews where he said he was looking forward to getting a van and driving around WA during the off-season.

No Vic Metro mummy's boy, thats for sure.

Last edited:
Touch of paranoia yes, but at worst we could turn a mid-season pick into a decent ND pick. But yeah I'd prefer he kills it and we re-sign him.

There is enough of an indicator there that he wants to stay that it isn't worth getting worried just yet.

He nominated an 18 month contract (rather than 6 month) in the mid-season draft. If he really didn't want to leave Victoria he would have just gone the 6 months and put that news out there. I think he is happy just to be on a list, and is repaying the faith many times over with the way he has turned up to both the back half of the season, and his preseason. Just needs to get the elbows out of his game.

He's only 6-months and 1 week into his time on our list - that is a very short time in reality. The club saw fit to send him to the house of one of our other draftees for a promo/surprise video.

I'm fairly confident he will re-sign in due course, and that will no doubt include a good bump in pay-packet for him.

Jai Culley @ $67.00 for the rising star...get on!!!

I'm in.

Ooots oots ooots :handfist::handfist::fist:

Actually, i've just remembered it took Culley a whole 3 games into his AFL career to elbow some kent in the jaw and get suspended.

Disappointed Disappointed Fan GIF - Disappointed Disappointed Fan Seriously  - Discover & Share GIFs

I just hope he keeps his tackle count at the same level.

Averaging 7.5 tackles per game. That's elite.
Played a few wet games which helps those numbers and everything overall.
I think his next test will be to add more to his outside game and to stay involved when the ball isnt at the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kate must've gotten sick of Miguel Sanchez harrassment and gotten on her bike.

Usually we'd have 10 photos a week and maybe a presser from simmo once a month.

Not wrong. Maybe they read those fan engagement surveys after all?

Social media content since the trade period finished has been pretty extensive. Wonder how long it lasts.

I think Kate is the 'lead', but she's farmed off taking snaps and doing twitter/FB updates to other uni and work experience kids now. One of them left recently after helping with the socials for the 2022 season, from memory. We'll know for sure when we start seeing :100::100::eggplant::eggplant:😂😂💦💦

I thought Culley went and trained himself, got into good shape, put in the work in order to get picked up and that's why he was so highly touted as the best player in the MSD?

Never thought running was his problem, more so speed. He's pretty one paced. Very much a... dare i say it.... Redden Replacementtm

Culley hired a sprint coach to improve his acceleration. He was able to shave of some time over 20m(can't remember the exact amount). This was one of his knocks in 2021. Being able to get separation from his opponent at stoppages was what really helped him this year when he moved into the midfield.

Either way, 12 touches , 11 contested, 11 tackles and 90 ranking points in your first game is nothing to shrug off.

Back that up with 19D, 7 tackles and a goal in your second game.

That's arguably better output than we've gotten from our first round draftees over the last 10 years in their first couple games.

And this is all in his first season playing against men, before he's gotten in and done a proper pre season as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back