No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it’s a nice statement and all, but almost identical to last year and it feels like we’ve got a buck each way on the issue. Wish we’d taken a stronger stand like Geelong.

Yeh, that's terrible. Just say nothing if you are going to say nothing.

the comments on these things are ******* unbearable

even a half assed statement like that which barely addresses any issue whatsoever brings out the real heroes to bitch about "devisiveness", how politics don't belong in sport (but * it, as 50 year old carpenter my political opinion DOES matter) and to cancel their memberships because "were all Australians"

I know social media is a piece of work but still, its a ******* joke

It bugs me that when the club puts out a statement like this, a lot of you ******* whinge that it says nothing.

It's showing support to our First Nations community and recognising the pain the date causes them. It says exactly what it needs to.

On another note, I don't understand why we (as a nation) haven't just changed the date.

It bugs me that when the club puts out a statement like this, a lot of you ******* whinge that it says nothing.

It's showing support to our First Nations community and recognising the pain the date causes them. It says exactly what it needs to.

On another note, I don't understand why we (as a nation) haven't just changed the date.
My point was, given recent events, we have an opportunity (which every sporting organisation does) to change the conversation and make strong positive statements about the direction our club is going on indigenous issues.

This falls short, and as you said, we should change the date. The HFC lose nothing and gain plenty by stating that openly. Instead our announcement is wishy washy double speak.

My point was, given recent events, we have an opportunity (which every sporting organisation does) to change the conversation and make strong positive statements about the direction our club is going on indigenous issues.

This falls short, and as you said, we should change the date. The HFC lose nothing and gain plenty by stating that openly. Instead our announcement is wishy washy double speak.
I don't think any club's statements have been open about changing the date tbh. Some have been much more strongly worded but I doubt an AFL club would openly state they want the date changed, at least for now. Like I said, even this extremely milquetoast statement has had people throwing the toys out

So I disagree that the HFC stands to lose nothing. There would sadly be a lot of backlash and the club would lose at least a few memberships. I'm not arguing whether it's worth the hassle or not (I believe it is) but I can see why they'd be conservative

Constructive criticism like this is fine, it's the comments like "It's terrible" and "It says nothing" that I find ridiculous.

Given the split around the country for and against the change I think it is okay. Everyone has an opinion and the club has to be mindful of it, it is a football club not a political party. The club has to walk the fine line, if and when there is a change I am sure they will embrace it.

I don't think any club's statements have been open about changing the date tbh. Some have been much more strongly worded but I doubt an AFL club would openly state they want the date changed, at least for now. Like I said, even this extremely milquetoast statement has had people throwing the toys out

So I disagree that the HFC stands to lose nothing. There would sadly be a lot of backlash and the club would lose at least a few memberships. I'm not arguing whether it's worth the hassle or not (I believe it is) but I can see why they'd be conservative
I think the cats statement more or less (in still a slightly ambiguous manner) says that the date should change.

Just found a cool channel on YouTube called aussie80s he has posted a lot of 1980s footy content including for those old timers like me, the Saturday night 90 minute football show. For those who weren’t around, the vfl was 12 teams in Victoria 6 games every Saturday all played at the same time at 2pm. You went then rushed home grabbed McDonald’s on the way and got in front of the box to watch the replay, which was the best game for 40 minutes, the second best for 20 minutes and highlights of the other 4. How things have changed but what a lovely stroll down memory lane!

I remember the good old days, when ad breaks didn’t have gambling, only occurred during the end of quarters.

Unbiased commentary of the game, without the need to cheer lead, and talking crap about anything rather than the game.

I miss them days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the good old days, when ad breaks didn’t have gambling, only occurred during the end of quarters.

Unbiased commentary of the game, without the need to cheer lead, and talking crap about anything rather than the game.

I miss them days

When were those? Growing up in rugby league heartland commentators who out and out barracked for teams and gambling ads were a constant when I started watching in the 80s.

When were those? Growing up in rugby league heartland commentators who out and out barracked for teams and gambling ads were a constant when I started watching in the 80s.

I tend to remember the ads for Ansett and CUB, rather than the ads for TAB, as it would have been known then. Sports betting really started in the early to mid 90’s.

You had commentators such as Sandy Roberts, Dennis Commetti, Bruce McAvaney and Don Scott. Which is a big upgrade on what we have now.

2 on their list ? In comparison to most sides they are plain .
They’ve ignored their midfield and it’s pretty plain, but they think those two will play part time through the middle and make the difference. Could get messy for them this year.

Not sure the coach is much chop either.

They’ve ignored their midfield and it’s pretty plain, but they think those two will play part time through the middle and make the difference. Could get messy for them this year.

Not sure the coach is much chop either.
They gave up top ten pick for Rankine which is just bat s**t insane, should've just drafted Phillipou.

Not it's not. There are two positions on this issue. Change the date or not change the date... Football clubs should stop trying to be everything for all people. Either advocate a change of date or don't say anything because this each-way stuff leaves nobody satisfied.

Not it's not. There are two positions on this issue. Change the date or not change the date... Football clubs should stop trying to be everything for all people. Either advocate a change of date or don't say anything because this each-way stuff leaves nobody satisfied.

You know there are people who just don’t give a * either way? I’m not one of them - but they do exist. There are a vast swathe of people who are happy to sit out the culture wars and partisan bickering and go about their daily lives.

You know there are people who just don’t give a * either way? I’m not one of them - but they do exist. There are a vast swathe of people who are happy to sit out the culture wars and partisan bickering and go about their daily lives.
And how do you write a statement for that position on the date?

Meh.

I am not sure what you are trying to school me on here Ned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back