AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

At the moment, West Coast will have had or will have the following picks for the 2022 + 2023 drafts.

2022 - 8,14,21,27 + Pick 1 MSD
2023 - 1,19,33,37 + Pick 1 MSD

Should be more than enough of a building block (even if a few miss) for a finals team in 4 years after more expected high picks in 2024/25, and with a couple of hits from picks outside top 40 over 6 years (Noah Long already looking like one). This is plenty to compliment already established players like Allen, Barrass, Ryan and Duggan, assuming they are still there.
That's only 2 high-end picks out of that lot. We'd need to nail pretty much all of those picks to be playing finals by 2026.

We'll be worse next year, possibly bottoming out the year after. I can see us playing finals in 2028 if we succeed in the future drafts.

To be playing finals in 4 years a lot also depends on if we can get anyone coming back to the club from over east.

Yeah. I think the WCE fans who think they'll be back competing for finals by 2027 might be a bit naive - though I think a few of those have started to get a sense recently of what's really ahead of them.

I'm not sure there's 8 players on their list who will be best 22 once they've finished the rebuild.
Such hyperbole.

Allen
Barrass
Ryan
Sheed
Duggan
Cole
Kelly
Yeo (least likely due to injuries)
Hunt

Have all shown they can be a part of a premiership team and are young enough to be around in 25/26

That’s 9 players.

Ginbey
Long
Hough
Bazzo
B.Williams
J.Jones
J.Culley

Have all shown they are very likely to be afl quality.

Let’s say only 5/7 are good enough.

Chesser
Hewett
Barnett
Burgiel

Are all high draft picks and you’d hope at least 2/4 make the grade.

Waterman
SPS
Petch
Witherden
H.Edwards

Have shown the potential to be role players in a good team, probably 2 make the grade although none will ever be stars.

Then there is a plethora of young players who granted it’s unlikely they make it, you’d expect at the very least 1/2 will.

L.Edwards
Z.Trew
XON
J.Williams
C.Jamieson
J.Baker
T.Dewar

That’s around 20 players at what I would consider to be a conservative hit rate, the issue with that list is there isn’t a great deal of obvious top end talent, by 25/26 Allen is the only guaranteed elite, ideally Kelly, Ryan and Barrass are still at the level.

The hope would be some of that 2nd/3rd group can take that next step as you probably need at least 8 a graders to make finals.

The issue that the eagles are currently facing is that there are way too many players in the starting line up that are simply not AFL level currently due to the unprecedented injury list they have, and a lot of the ones that are, seem to be playing underdone.

West
Clark
Rotham
Gaff
Foley

Aren’t AFL quality and won’t ever be (again in Gaffs case).

Jamieson
Long
Hough
Edwards
Bazzo
Chesser
XON

Aren’t AFL quality right now due to age and are nearly all coming in underdone.

It’s very difficult for the other 10 players to show much at all when you are surrounded by this. Particularly when 2/10 get injured during the match.

Even if you were to not include the usual injured suspects and were to add in:

Ryan
Cripps
Cole
Culley
Darling
SPS

I’d suggest you’d see a significant improvement given some of the WAFL level talents we are rolling out.

2026 team should look like:

Cole Barrass Bazzo
Hunt ????? Yeo
Chesser Ginbey Hough
Long Allen Hewett
Ryan ????? B.Williams
????? Kelly Sheed

All of the 3rd/4th group have a chance to be impacting.

Add in a few impact players from the 24/25 drafts and a couple of FA’s (English and Taylor would fit well, Naughton/McDonald other possibilities) from the warchest we should have and it’s a top 8 team.

Things are pretty s**t at the moment but to suggest there isn’t 8 b22 players on the list when we have 9 proven players under 30 and a further 7 young players extremely likely to make it is doomsday talk.

That's only 2 high-end picks out of that lot. We'd need to nail pretty much all of those picks to be playing finals by 2026.

We'll be worse next year, possibly bottoming out the year after. I can see us playing finals in 2028 if we succeed in the future drafts.

To be playing finals in 4 years a lot also depends on if we can get anyone coming back to the club from over east.
0 chance we are worse next year, there’s no one who is impacting right now that should regress next year and a lot that will naturally improve.

That’s not accounting for the highly likely chance we have a kinder run with injuries or pick up a couple of kids that impact.

Agreed playing finals likely hinges on a few astute FA pick ups but we will have a s**t ton of money to do so.

More than anything they just have to bite the bullet on some older players this year. You can basically buy draft picks now so while you might get little for a Darling or McGovern, a little is more than nothing and the freed up capspace is just as valuable

Darling wont agree to go anywhere so its irrelevant.

Such hyperbole.

Allen
Barrass
Ryan
Sheed
Duggan
Cole
Kelly
Hunt

Have all shown they can be a part of a premiership team and are young enough to be around in 25/26

That’s 9 players.

Ginbey
Long
Hough
Bazzo
B.Williams
J.Jones
J.Culley

Chesser
Hewett
Barnett
Burgiel

Waterman
SPS
Petch
Witherden
H.Edwards

Have shown the potential to be role players in a good team, probably 2 make the grade although none will ever be stars.

Then there is a plethora of young players who granted it’s unlikely they make it, you’d expect at the very least 1/2 will.

L.Edwards
Z.Trew
XON
J.Williams
C.Jamieson
J.Baker
T.Dewar

That’s around 20 players at what I would consider to be a conservative hit rate, the issue with that list is there isn’t a great deal of obvious top end talent, by 25/26 Allen is the only guaranteed elite, ideally Kelly, Ryan and Barrass are still at the level.

The hope would be some of that 2nd/3rd group can take that next step as you probably need at least 8 a graders to make finals.

The issue that the eagles are currently facing is that there are way too many players in the starting line up that are simply not AFL level currently due to the unprecedented injury list they have, and a lot of the ones that are, seem to be playing underdone.

West
Clark
Rotham
Gaff
Foley

Jamieson
Long
Hough
Edwards
Bazzo
Chesser
XON

It’s very difficult for the other 10 players to show much at all when you are surrounded by this. Particularly when 2/10 get injured during the match.

Ryan
Cripps
Cole
Culley
Darling
SPS

I’d suggest you’d see a significant improvement given some of the WAFL level talents we are rolling out.

Cole Barrass Bazzo
Hunt ????? Yeo
Chesser Ginbey Hough
Long Allen Hewett
Ryan ????? B.Williams
????? Kelly Sheed

Add in a few impact players from the 24/25 drafts and a couple of FA’s (English and Taylor would fit well, Naughton/McDonald other possibilities) from the warchest we should have and it’s a top 8 team.

Things are pretty s**t at the moment but to suggest there isn’t 8 b22 players on the list when we have 9 proven players under 30 and a further 7 young players extremely likely to make it is doomsday talk.
All power to you for the optimism, but I think you're going to be unpleasantly surprised how ordinary many of these guys you think have shown something in the last 4 years are actually terrible when not surrounded by 8AAs.

You'll hit in the draft around average, maybe a little better if you're lucky but as Mostyn points out, aside from those you listed first (of whom the majority will be 30+ in 2027) most of the rest need 50-100 games.

Reckon the most likely outcome for 2027 is you're one of those sides who wins 8-11 games and is theoretically in the mix until late in the season but the eye test will tell you you're still a way off.

Such hyperbole.

Allen
Barrass
Ryan
Sheed
Duggan
Cole
Kelly
Hunt

That’s 9 players.

Ginbey
Long
Hough
Bazzo
B.Williams
J.Jones
J.Culley

Chesser
Hewett
Barnett
Burgiel

Waterman
SPS
Petch
Witherden
H.Edwards

L.Edwards
Z.Trew
XON
J.Williams
C.Jamieson
J.Baker
T.Dewar

West
Clark
Rotham
Gaff
Foley

Jamieson
Long
Hough
Edwards
Bazzo
Chesser
XON

Ryan
Cripps
Cole
Culley
Darling
SPS

Cole Barrass Bazzo
Hunt ????? Yeo
Chesser Ginbey Hough
Long Allen Hewett
Ryan ????? B.Williams
????? Kelly Sheed

That's a long post - and frankly a LOT of those players are mediocre at best. I stand by my point that many will amount to little or be moved on for draft capital.

I think it's starting to be clear how disasterous it's been keeping senior players who are predictably becoming injury prone with age.

West Coast needed to get a ahead of this two years ago, but didn't and now the bottom will be deeper and the rebuild will be longer.

Good picks doesn’t equal guaranteed success. They also often take time to become AFL level players.

Cambell Chesser looks like he won’t contribute to year 3-4 on the list if it ever eventuates.

Harry Barnett going to be years off contributing.

Barrass and Allen are guns. Ryan probably needs a team on top to be particularly valuable and is injury prone
and Duggan is not that good.

Also don’t know how players will react to perpetual smashings and bottom 4 appearances. Might find guys asking for trades which will set things back of course.

Managing salary cap when you’ve got no one to pay can also have flow on effects down the track. Especially if players aren’t fully committed to staying.

Personally, I think a bottom team for 2-3 years after this. Another 2 years working way up from bottom 8. I’d be surprised if finals happen before 2028.

The main thing in your favour is that Reid looks a ‘generational’ talent and would be instant impact or net you a serious hall of picks.

Heard this all before. 2010 comes to mind. 2017 too. 2001...

All were going to be a decade in the wilderness. All with a flag or GF within 5 years.

It may not happen this time. But we go in with a far bigger draft haul across 2 years than ever before in the clubs history (we have already gained two extra top 30 picks in this period). And there was no mid-season draft in those other years.

Our salary cap position (out of sheer luck) will be as healthy as its been for 15 years by 2025 as well. Develop half those picks to their potential, a couple of FAs, we will be on track.

Heard this all before. 2010 comes to mind. 2017 too. 2001...

All were going to be a decade in the wilderness. All with a flag or GF within 5 years.

It may not happen this time. But we go in with a far bigger draft haul across 2 years than ever before in the clubs history (we have already gained two extra top 30 picks in this period). And there was no mid-season draft in those other years.

Our salary cap position (out of sheer luck) will be as healthy as its been for 15 years by 2025 as well. Develop half those picks to their potential, a couple of FAs, we will be on track.
The AFL landscape was also vastly different at those times for a number of reasons so not sure how comparable necessarily.

How are you going to meet the cap floor once the highly paid senior guys retire?

The AFL landscape was also vastly different at those times for a number of reasons so not sure how comparable necessarily.

How are you going to meet the cap floor once the highly paid senior guys retire?

What differences are you referring to? Especially since 2017. All the changes such as FA, pick trading and fixtures are designed to help struggling clubs.

And what do you mean how are we going to meet the cap floor? By paying to the cap floor for the year. Deals will be negotiated with this in mind, as they are at every club when they are struggling. The rule changes to the cap getting floated will only help teams down the bottom anyway.

What differences are you referring to? Especially since 2017. All the changes such as FA, pick trading and fixtures are designed to help struggling clubs.

And what do you mean how are we going to meet the cap floor? By paying to the cap floor for the year. Deals will be negotiated with this in mind, as they are at every club when they are struggling. The rule changes to the cap getting floated will only help teams down the bottom anyway.
More referencing 2001 and 2010 that you highlighted.

When you’ve got a crap list and need to pay 95% of the cap means that someone is getting overpaid. If you can get players to accept highly paid contracts but for short term then you can keep yourselves somewhat out of trouble.

More referencing 2001 and 2010 that you highlighted.

When you’ve got a crap list and need to pay 95% of the cap means that someone is getting overpaid. If you can get players to accept highly paid contracts but for short term then you can keep yourselves somewhat out of trouble.

Yeah, I think that is what they are looking at changing in regard to the cap.

I'm not being over optimistic by the way. I expect us to be pretty ordinary in 2024/25. But it is the fact we are going to be so ordinary which gives me reasons to think 2026 onwards we will be fine. It is how the system is designed. Funnily enough, we appear to be the only team who has managed to use the system as intended on multiple occasions so far (be strong for a few years including GFS and finals. Then really, really ordinary for a couple. Finals, then contend again). We are the AFL draft system poster child.

Such hyperbole.

Allen
Barrass
Ryan
Sheed
Duggan
Cole
Kelly
Hunt

That’s 9 players.

Ginbey
Long
Hough
Bazzo
B.Williams
J.Jones
J.Culley

Chesser
Hewett
Barnett
Burgiel

Waterman
SPS
Petch
Witherden
H.Edwards

L.Edwards
Z.Trew
XON
J.Williams
C.Jamieson
J.Baker
T.Dewar

West
Clark
Rotham
Gaff
Foley

Jamieson
Long
Hough
Edwards
Bazzo
Chesser
XON

Ryan
Cripps
Cole
Culley
Darling
SPS

Cole Barrass Bazzo
Hunt ????? Yeo
Chesser Ginbey Hough
Long Allen Hewett
Ryan ????? B.Williams
????? Kelly Sheed

That's a pretty good run-down. Well done.

Positives for me are:
Rucks look sorted now, on paper at least with Williams and Barnett.
Bookends of Allen and Barrass is outstanding.
Kelly and Sheed (injury permitting) need some support but are the right age to see the rebuild through. I imagine this year's 1st will be a mid. I also think Hewett will make it. I was very impressed with him as an U18. Just needs time at the crease. Bazzo same.
Ginbey is on the way to becoming a star. I still think he'll play his best footy as a defender, but who knows.
I was surprised to read Liam Duggan is still only 26. Feels like he's been around a lot longer.
Harry Edwards is a bit underrated. I think he'll be very good once a gets a good run at it. Same with Jones.

The questions for me are:
Yeo is 29. I'd be surprised with his injuries if he played another 30 games.
Liam Ryan looks nothing like the player he was. Can't have experienced players choosing when to try. It's a terrible example.
Cole is terrible.
Chesser seems to have no luck with injury. Missed most of his U18s year through injury and hasn't been able to get his body right. Poor kid. Not sure if it was the right move taking him over Johnson.

And, one from left field: The surprise packet might be Tyrell Dewar. Has a few neat tricks in the kit bag.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a pretty good run-down. Well done.

Positives for me are:
Rucks look sorted now, on paper at least with Williams and Barnett.
Bookends of Allen and Barrass is outstanding.
Kelly and Sheed (injury permitting) need some support but are the right age to see the rebuild through. I imagine this year's 1st will be a mid. I also think Hewett will make it. I was very impressed with him as an U18. Just needs time at the crease. Bazzo same.
Ginbey is on the way to becoming a star. I still think he'll play his best footy as a defender, but who knows.
I was surprised to read Liam Duggan is still only 26. Feels like he's been around a lot longer.
Harry Edwards is a bit underrated. I think he'll be very good once a gets a good run at it. Same with Jones.

The questions for me are:
Yeo is 29. I'd be surprised with his injuries if he played another 30 games.
Liam Ryan looks nothing like the player he was. Can't have experienced players choosing when to try. It's a terrible example.
Cole is terrible.
Chesser seems to have no luck with injury. Missed most of his U18s year through injury and hasn't been able to get his body right. Poor kid. Not sure if it was the right move taking him over Johnson.

And, one from left field: The surprise packet might be Tyrell Dewar. Has a few neat tricks in the kit bag.
Rucks maybe not sorted as I do think B.Williams is more a second ruck but hopefully Barnett can fill that first ruck or one of the KPP positions.

Love what I’ve seen from Hewett, has the arrogance and ability to be a star but I’m not willing to pencil him in yet.

Agree on Yeo unfortunately and it likely won’t be as a mid if he does.

Ryan would be a star in a good team, actually started the year very well before getting injured.

Cole was very good the year before getting injured, has obviously only played in a terrible team since then. I’d back him to recapture that form once the overall team improves.

Chesser definitely has an injury curse but hopefully that turns around.

Fremantle would be the only

But yeh even that has never really happened has it

But he may atleast see next year as some chance of finals success with them. Same with Mcgovern

I meant more as in darling nor his mrs wouldnt agree to leave the state so i agree freo would be the only option. And i dont think freo would go for him so i dont see any other way for wce to offload him.

I meant more as in darling nor his mrs wouldnt agree to leave the state so i agree freo would be the only option. And i dont think freo would go for him so i dont see any other way for wce to offload him.
Freo is absolutely the only way

Do the eagles off load him for a 3rd round pick for example?

Imo Fremantle should be looking to get any of Darling, Gov or Yeo for the right price if they believe their window is in the next 2 years

Eddie on Footy classified saying they are going to build a war chest of millions and go FA hunting in 2024... he also said they might try to dump som players ... Darling , Gaff, Yeo etc mentioned... although not sure what they get for them or ...how they convince them to go.

What could persuade them ... the threat of wafl?
and go for Reid with pick one if we get it

Freo is absolutely the only way

Do the eagles off load him for a 3rd round pick for example?

Imo Fremantle should be looking to get any of Darling, Gov or Yeo for the right price if they believe their window is in the next 2 years

The guts of the story I'm was getting West COasrt being active. Ge rid of the players and their money ... Id ask ...How do you "exit" players like those mentioned and their money ?

The quote was ..'also on the table are superstars Gaff, Darling ..and other clubs said to me that interested in trying to get Elliott Yeo to get fir draft picks ...."

Im not convinced WC is getting the pick ... If WC want them gone. and importantly their money gone... I'm think WC have to be giving adding a pick to the deal ... much like the Bowe deal

and go for Reid with pick one if we get it

He said.. "as we stand here today ...WC will pick Harely Reid ... only of a club like GWS come up with a very big suite of picks and established players would they look outside that...."

To me all sorts of deal become possible once WC decided to get active ... and create millions of dollars of space in their cap.

The guts of the story I'm was getting West COasrt being active. Ge rid of the players and their money ... Id ask ...How do you "exit" players like those mentioned and their money ?

The quote was ..'also on the table are superstars Gaff, Darling ..and other clubs said to me that interested in trying to get Elliott Yeo to get fir draft picks ...."

Im not convinced WC is getting the pick ... If WC want them gone. and importantly their money gone... I'm think WC have to be giving adding a pick to the deal ... much like the Bowe deal

He said.. "as we stand here today ...WC will pick Harely Reid ... only of a club like GWS come up with a very big suite of picks and established players would they look outside that...."

To me all sorts of deal become possible once WC decided to get active ... and create millions of dollars of space in their cap.
But as we have seen at the hawks hard to lure free agents if you are seen as not competing for a while unless they are simply looking for a payday and you don’t rebuild clubs with those types.

But as we have seen at the hawks hard to lure free agents if you are seen as not competing for a while unless they are simply looking for a payday and you don’t rebuild clubs with those types.

WE have never seen a club with West Coast financial muscle in this position. One might also say the advantage of go home to their state. English would be one ...probably could build a list of similar players over the next three years. I cant see them spending a decade at the bottom rebuilding thru the draft.

Last edited:
The Eagles issues are mostly culture, since Covid it is clear their senior players have simply stopped giving a f@ ck, reminds me a lot of Carlton in 2002 - 2007 and it really wasn't until we got Judd that the place started to turn, and the kids had someone to lead them and drive standards. Having a heap of high quality draft picks will do nothing if they dont have leaders developing these kids into stars.

Zero chance Yeo would ever leave unless it was to Freo. Yeo has too much off field stuff to leave W.A . He would be better off just retiring

Gaffs the one we would love to drop but issue is it would be a Jack Bowes type trade and not worth it at all.

Darling could interest a team like Fremantle/Melbourne who would want a forward in that top up mode. Think he would happily go and be likely too

His Perth native partner wanting to move to Melbourne is more telling.

With the exception of Judd, the biggest names in the history of the Eagles have all been locals, depending on how Cousins is counted.

All the nobody Victorians on your list aren't going to have the potential opportunities to go home like this young fella will if he is any good.

All.speculation of course.
Hurn (SA) & Shuey (VIC)? :rolleyesv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back