Cameron Green

Remove this Banner Ad

surely a walk up start to the T20 WC team.

What is so weird about his batting, he is going at 200 SR but he isn't over hitting the ball, or trying to hit every ball for six. He just playing the odd shot that goes for six.
What I enjoy about cam when he is on song is that his 4s 6s are traditional shots....no ramps reverse sweeps etc....just good cricket shots that have a lot of power behind them :)

What I enjoy about cam when he is on song is that his 4s 6s are traditional shots....no ramps reverse sweeps etc....just good cricket shots that have a lot of power behind them :)

yup especially in the IPL where the indian players in particular are playing these new inventive shots (like SKY has his new deliberate edge / deflection down to the third man boundary). like its good to watch and see how they come up with them but 1) they don't work at test level and 2) IPL bowling by and large is on flat pitches with trash bowling.

yup especially in the IPL where the indian players in particular are playing these new inventive shots (like SKY has his new deliberate edge / deflection down to the third man boundary). like its good to watch and see how they come up with them but 1) they don't work at test level and 2) IPL bowling by and large is on flat pitches with trash bowling.
Yeah its interesting see all the new shots that T20 brings to the game but you can also be an effective t20 player by playing traditional shots and keeping your base and your head still when hitting/timing the ball. KP is very big on it when he commentates.

Some players that have traditional techniques and have done well in t20 .. S Marsh M Hussey S Watson...they still score quickly playing good cricket shots keeping there base and head still...

Bats and pitches these days do help though.....you would hate to be a bowler :)

love KP in the box, great energy. You can tell he absolutely loves every game of cricket he has ever watched.
yeah his energy is good for the game sometimes his Big head persona comes through...,but the other commentators shoot him down in the box which is good to hear....I think its Simon Doull ?? the kiwi commentator I like him he gives it back to KP

Good first IPL from Green.

452 runs @ 50.22 with a strike rate of 160.28.

Rubbish with the ball though.

6 wickets with economy rate of 9.5 and average of 60.16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been - and still am - on board with giving this once-in-a-generation talent a bit of rope; let the kid have his head, as they say.
Heck, his dang fielding affords him his place in the team alone.
But that shot at the end of the day at Lords ... that was too immature from a young man of his ability.
If he'd knuckled down Australia were in a position to go Large and bat England out of the game in Innings #1.

What I'm trying to say is that he owes me a century.

I'll save those of you without Cricket Tragic the trouble of looking it up; currently Green averages 35 with the bat and 34 with the ball. It's pretty good.

At the end of the day, he’s batting at 6, taking a position from another batter. A batting average of 33 is marginal even if he was bowling quite a bit. At the moment he’s only taking a bit over a wicket a Test. That would be fine if he was averaging 40 or producing match winning innings like Stokes. But he’s doing neither. Obviously has a lot of potential but not yet performing beyond OK. He’s playing like a bits and pieces cricketer.

Flintoff only averaged 32 but was a match winner and took 3 wickets a Test. Stokes averages 37 and takes 2 wickets a Test. Kallis batted at 3 or 4, averaged 55 and took 1.75 wickets a test. Shakib averages 39 and takes 3.5 wickets a Test. Jadeja 36 and 4 wickets a Test.

These guys are the contemporary benchmark.

Australia make far too much of promising all rounders, put too much pressure on them to perform immediately.
I remember when Mitch Marsh first came into first class cricket, he was lauded as the next great all rounder. When he was included in the test side he was expected to take wickets make runs immediatley.
At that time Australia were strong, very strong, all round strong. Good bowling attack great batting depth..Marsh batted where ever they could get him to bat to get time in the middle.Opening, number three.Batting at times when the team were 5 for not many. Then batting , or waiting to bat when they were 1 or 2 for plenty.
He was never setled to bat in one position.
Green is the same, he needs time to mature into the role.His batting is timid beccause so much has been made of how good he is.Mixing ghe circus cricket with test has not helped.
His bowling has come with the weight of being tall and a good banger into the wicket quick.
Allow him to bowl as he shopuld be, getting the ball up there.
They are crucifying him by making him bowl the short sheeit that has crept into the Aussie attack with Cummins as skipper.
He needs time and correct management.

Australia make far too much of promising all rounders, put too much pressure on them to perform immediately.
I remember when Mitch Marsh first came into first class cricket, he was lauded as the next great all rounder. When he was included in the test side he was expected to take wickets make runs immediatley.
At that time Australia were strong, very strong, all round strong. Good bowling attack great batting depth..Marsh batted where ever they could get him to bat to get time in the middle.Opening, number three.Batting at times when the team were 5 for not many. Then batting , or waiting to bat when they were 1 or 2 for plenty.
Green is the same, he needs time to mature into the role.His batting is timid beccause so much has been made of how good he is.Mixing ghe circus cricket with test has not helped.
His bowling has come with the weight of being tall and a good banger into the wicket quick.
They are crucifying him by making him bowl the short sheeit that has crept into the Aussie attack with Cummins as skipper.

don't ever remember mitch marsh opening the batting or at 3.

i remember his brother shaun batting in a number of positions.

only time i recall mitch marsh in the test arena batting high in the order was during smith/warner suspension in the series finch, head, marnus debuted and mitch marsh was given the vice captaincy.

mitch marsh is no better than a number 6 in the test arena. i still believe green has the capability of batting higher at some point.

i highly doubt both marsh and green would've played in that test together had lyon been fit and available.

neither are in our best 5 bats or best 4 bowlers , leaving 1 spot at number 6.

marsh is now the incumbent and it will interesting to see how long green is made to wait for his next opportunity.

Oh please so sick of people talking about green like he is some special needs kid, he is 24 years old and played 25 tests his job is simply make some runs in middle order and bowl few overs he is either good enough or he isnt he doesnt need to be babied.

Oh please so sick of people talking about green like he is some special needs kid, he is 24 years old and played 25 tests his job is simply make some runs in middle order and bowl few overs he is either good enough or he isnt he doesnt need to be babied.
If we keep demanding so much of our all rounders like Green, then we need to treat him like a special player.Don't destroy him, as they did to Mitch Marsh.

If we keep demanding so much of our all rounders like Green, then we need to treat him like a special player.Don't destroy him, as they did to Mitch Marsh.

Green takes just over one wicket a test and averages low 30's batting in middle order they aren't asking that much of him, at just 21 ben stokes was scoring tons and taking 5 wicket hauls in an away ashes series and thats test cricket having a role and being good enough to perform or you try somebody else i still think green can do the job at 6 but he isnt a victim and doesnt have unrealistic or unfair expectations on him.

I adore Greeny and what he brings but have to agree with others here. He needs to step up.

I also love Bison and am as stoked for him as I would have been for Green if he was having similar success.

But here's something worth chewing on - this series, we have not lost with Green in the team, and we have not won with Marsh in the team. Go figure.

Still have him as the all rounder come the 1st test in Perth. If he continues batting like he has this series for the whole summer then questions should be asked about his spot then.

Some people complain we don't have any young talent coming through yet so many are so quick to drop a talented young player like Green after a rough tour of England, a place a lot of our batsmen have struggled in for a while now, for Marsh after having one great match.

Still have him as the all rounder come the 1st test in Perth. If he continues batting like he has this series for the whole summer then questions should be asked about his spot then.

Some people complain we don't have any young talent coming through yet so many are so quick to drop a talented young player like Green after a rough tour of England, a place a lot of our batsmen have struggled in for a while now, for Marsh after having one great match

Wouldn't drop him now - not that we need to - but I'd like to see him do well in the Shield in the run up to next summer (assuming he is free to play those games). There will be a few keen to put on some good performances early next summer.

It seems in modern cricket all the fast bowling all rounders end up having to basically give up the bowling for long periods.

Needs to focus on his batting and get that average up to 40, then he only has to chip in with a few odd overs. Currently he looks completely lost at the crease, when he's defensive he's way too aggressive and doesn't rotate the strike, when he tries to play aggressive it's ridiculous shots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back