Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody had an interest in perpetuating the transport disaster that was Subiaco Oval by undercooking transit to the new stadium.

Any stadium at WACA would likely have involved a much more expansive heavy rail solution involving an underground spur from the Armadale line.

Perth has no light rail network and that isn't changing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

It could of all been achieved if they wanted it there. But they wanted it out of the city for some reason? Wait awhile at it's best.
One thing you can rely on in WA, the end result will never quite be what it should of been.
Stadium should of been in the city.

It could of all been achieved if they wanted it there. But they wanted it out of the city for some reason? Wait awhile at it's best.
One thing you can rely on in WA, the end result will never quite be what it should of been.
Stadium should of been in the city.

Imagine what 50,000 people a week could do to revitilaise Perth CBD.
Image the weekly cost savings of not having to provide all those extra staff at Optus.

Imagine what 50,000 people a week could do to revitilaise Perth CBD.
Image the weekly cost savings of not having to provide all those extra staff at Optus.

What could of been, but footy and cricket have never seen eye to eye for 50 years so it was never going to happen. Such a shame. Don't get me wrong I like the new stadium but I just think it should of been at the WACA.

What could of been, but footy and cricket have never seen eye to eye for 50 years so it was never going to happen. Such a shame. Don't get me wrong I like the new stadium but I just think it should of been at the WACA.
Jeez dude, the WACA was awful to get to with 20k going. Imagine 50k....

Jeez dude, the WACA was awful to get to with 20k going. Imagine 50k....

There would of been much to do, relocation of the trots and public transport built just as it was at Optus. You do know they didn't build the stadium at Burswood next to existing public transport? It was all built with it. Just as it could of been done at the WACA in the city.

There would of been much to do, relocation of the trots and public transport built just as it was at Optus. You do know they didn't build the stadium at Burswood next to existing public transport? It was all built with it. Just as it could of been done at the WACA in the city.
Uh....yes they did. The rail line was already there. That was part of the appeal of that site.

The only place in the CBD suitable would have been where Elizabeth quay is now.

The WACA isn’t in ‘the city’ either. The idea people would walk from work or pub to the game is just as fanciful. Ultimately, they wanted to be able to spread out and create a truly excellent stadium and I think they achieved it. With room to do more.

The only place in the CBD suitable would have been where Elizabeth quay is now.

No, but it's probably the last of the readily available open spaces to be taken up.
$1 billion dollars extra on Burswood buys a lot of land and creative thing
The (only) good think about the Burswood site is that it is in a highly visible spot advertising Perth.
Elizabeth Quay would've been good. Other sites in the CBD would have been locked in to a large degree.
The WACA, wouldn't have provided that. The Waterbank site, the w\Western end of the causeway or even
a widened Esplanade would have been good.

Last edited:
The WACA isn’t in ‘the city’ either. The idea people would walk from work or pub to the game is just as fanciful. Ultimately, they wanted to be able to spread out and create a truly excellent stadium and I think they achieved it. With room to do more.

Just need to add some more support establishments, like bars, cafe’s and other food establishments. Make it a 7 day a week venue.

No, but it's probably the last of the readily available open spaces to be taken up.
$1 billion dollars extra on Burswood buys a lot of land and creative thing
The (only) good think about the Burswood site is that it is in a highly visible spot advertising Perth.
Elizabeth Quay would've been good. Other sites in the CBD would have been locked in to a large degree.
The WACA, wouldn't have provided that. The Waterbank site, the w\Western end of the causeway or even
a widened Esplanade would have been good.

These low lying pieces of land ( Burswood, Elizabeth Quay, WACA ), would all have needed a good amount of engineering to anchor the stadium.

The only other site they could have considered was near the train line, around the old Entertainment Centre area.

I think in the end run, they got it in the right site. It’s become a pretty site at night.

These low lying pieces of land ( Burswood, Elizabeth Quay, WACA ), would all have needed a good amount of engineering to anchor the stadium.

Well you better tell that to the builders of those towers at Elizabeth Quays and the stadiums they built at the WACA.
Burswood did however need special design work to float on the old rubbish tip.

The only other site they could have considered was near the train line, around the old Entertainment Centre area.

Not the only option, but a good option starting with the old markets site.

I think in the end run, they got it in the right site. It’s become a pretty site at night.

They got it right as an advertisement for Perth but from a cost build and ongoing running costs view it is a fail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There wasn't the space, not without sinking Roe and Wellington streets anyway. And even then it was a bit dodgy. Wellington square was raised as well which might have been better (certainly better than the WACA) but transport wasn't great.

There wasn't the space, not without sinking Roe and Wellington streets anyway. And even then it was a bit dodgy.

Could have easily byuilt the stadium where the RAC Arena is. Roe Street is minor and that land is that isn't expensive.

Wellington square was raised as well which might have been better (certainly better than the WACA) but transport wasn't great.

Wellington square could have accommodated the stadium but there would have been an outcry with replacing open space
with a stadium in your face with two sides being residential.
Wellington Square is closer to Mciver railway station than RAC arena to Perth Railway Station.

Could have easily byuilt the stadium where the RAC Arena is. Roe Street is minor and that land is that isn't expensive.

Apparently there was less space between Roe and Wellington than there was between Roberts rd and Subiaco Rd where Subi Oval was. That's what killed that. I agree it would have been a great spot though.

Apparently there was less space between Roe and Wellington than there was between Roberts rd and Subiaco Rd where Subi Oval was. That's what killed that. I agree it would have been a great spot though.
but as I said "Roe Street is minor and that land is that isn't expensive."
They could have removed/blocked/diverted Roe Street - it's actually been out of commission a lot with roadworks and nobody's noticed.
When they "sunk' the railway they didn't really remove the barriers to Northbbridge
and buildings are almost derelict in the area in question - buy the land and/or airspace.
then move the Arena further East.
The reason they didn't do this was the government wanted to replace that "open space" with towers.

There wasn't the space, not without sinking Roe and Wellington streets anyway. And even then it was a bit dodgy. Wellington square was raised as well which might have been better (certainly better than the WACA) but transport wasn't great.

I’m happy with what we have. The train line was always the number one transport essential, that is why the WACA never seriously was under discussion ( + lots of issues with WACA management & land available).

Some people still struggle to get over leaving Subi ( negative Council ), and getting a fresh site.

It could have been a cheaper build and in the CBD using existing infrastructure, parking and business.

List them why don't you.
The amount of prime CBD real estate that would need to be given over to a stadium would be ridiculous. And getting in and out of the CBD by car would be even more difficult on a Friday night. And the existing train stations were no more capable of managing the numbers of people than West Leederville was.

The current site is still close to the city and allows for the building of two new night-time destinations in Claisebrook Cove and directly adjacent to the stadium. As the city gets bigger and the stadium used more frequently, the city will grow more naturally.

The amount of prime CBD real estate that would need to be given over to a stadium would be ridiculous.

Have you ever taken the time to stroll North of the Arena - it's the OPPOSITE of prime real estate.
Considering the extra $1billion build for Optus you could have picked up the necessary land quite cheaply.

And getting in and out of the CBD by car would be even more difficult on a Friday night.

Have you ever ventured into Perth outside of business hours - it' dead.
And the existing train stations were no more capable of managing the numbers of people than West Leederville was.

Huh ? Perth is set up to handle all of the citiy's transport needs.

The current site is still close to the city

FFS, aren't you changing the goalposts on your definition of "close" ?
As people have stated, the WACA was a long walk from Perth Central and Burswood is significantly further.

and allows for the building of two new night-time destinations in Claisebrook Cove and directly adjacent to the stadium.

That doesn't compare to what is currently available en masse in Perth now.

As the city gets bigger and the stadium used more frequently, the city will grow more naturally.

Huh ?
A stadium in the city would have resurrected the vitality of Perth.
The stadium doesn't do a single thing for Perth itself

Have you ever taken the time to stroll North of the Arena - it's the OPPOSITE of prime real estate.
Considering the extra $1billion build for Optus you could have picked up the necessary land quite cheaply.

Have you ever ventured into Perth outside of business hours - it' dead.

Huh ? Perth is set up to handle all of the citiy's transport needs.

FFS, aren't you changing the goalposts on your definition of "close" ?
As people have stated, the WACA was a long walk from Perth Central and Burswood is significantly further.

That doesn't compare to what is currently available en masse in Perth now.

Huh ?
A stadium in the city would have resurrected the vitality of Perth.
The stadium doesn't do a single thing for Perth itself
Gonna have to agree to disagree. Friday night games are played in peak hour traffic times to suit the east coast, the stadium isn’t going to be built on Perth train station’s doorstep, which means you’re relying on Claisebrook or McIver, and Perth is beginning a transition to greater residential that makes a stadium unsuitable right in the heart of the CBD.

The stadium’s location is 5 mins on a train and as the city expands, its location will become more attractive. A stadium in the middle of the city would become less attractive as time goes. We need to make better use of the Arena and other facilities already there to liven up the city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back