BigFooty Forum

Thrawn
Thrawn
Too similar to ANH you reaction?

I loved it, but I would fit it somewhere between the prequels and the OT. I did like the characters, there was actual chemistry between them but I felt it would have been much better with a little bit more backstory to the status of the galaxy. That sense of epic broadness was lacking, which I felt hurt the movie.
Thrawn
Thrawn
Wasn't much of a fan of Starkiller either, and how it destroyed the supposed New Republic capitol but there was hardly a yelp of reaction.
H2F
H2F
I really thought it could have been better but because episodes 4-6 are just about my favourite ever movies I still loved it.

Script was the major issue:

1) copied episode 4 so much it was ridiculously predictable
2) had no emotional feeling so many times I should. E.g finding C3PO and R2D2
3) The war room scene was borderline a joke and then by the way they didn't even destroy the Death Star that way anyway
H2F
H2F
4) Rey and Hans were brilliant the other main actors terribly unlikable
5) Did not serve 'the force' with any heart at all

Massive improvement from the diabolical episodes 1-3 but far from a masterpiece that it could have been had they written a decent script.
H2F
H2F
Last complaint was the score. Even lazy in that regard, mostly copying the original score.
H2F
H2F
In saying all that there were some scenes where I got goosebumps and thought the movie would kick on:

1) Where Hans and Chewy arrived and they were all chased around by those Eye of the Beholder type monsters
H2F
H2F
2) When Rey jumped into the Millennium Falcon the first time and flew like she was a Jedi
3) When Rey fought back Kylo's powers in the chair.
H2F
H2F
I didn't hate Kylo's character but thought the scripting weakened him so much he almost became irrelevant when his story was just beginning. Maybe he couldn't act either, still not sure.
H2F
H2F
J.J. Abrams is a gun director but he didn't get the support writing it and I felt it was rushed.

I loved watching it but have spewed in the aftermath as it could have been a lot better IMO.
H2F
H2F
One final complaint is the whole 'girl power' thing that is creeping into movies. Tell me how Rey could be so much stronger than Kylo with zero training.

It wrecked a great training plot and destroyed Kylo.

And Kylo killing Hans, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. Not only was Hans brilliant in it, it was so obvious what was happening.
Back