Hearld Sun Superfoooty Pay Wall goes up.

Remove this Banner Ad

HS would want to have exhibited a far higher level of professionalism BEFORE the pay wall went up if they wanted my cash. They sure as hell aint getting it now, not when there are plenty of other avenues to get the football news.

You'd want the internet version to be free for anyone who has the Herald Sun home delivered.

I understand Murdoch wanting to charge people for content, but I've never bothered looking at the The Australian online since they started charging for it.

I'm sure The Age will follow on this too.

People will simply go realfooty.com.au.

Murdoch has always hated the idea of people getting content for free, but surely ads pay their way? Sheahan and his occassional breaking story were the only good thing about their footy department, and with him gone I'll stick to Niall and co.

Protip: cut n paste the headline of the article you want to read into Google, click on the first link that comes up, read the article free of charge. Profit.

Sssshhhh shudduuuuuup!

No need to not mention it, its no secret!

Can I further suggested, this is easy on Google Chrome as there is an option to search for selected text just a right mouse click away and it also has Incognito mode that lets the needed cookies drop but forgets them as soon as you close the session. This way you can also get around their 5 story limit. It becomes 5 stories per Incognito session! Little extra work but it works!

My 2c:

The only insights footy journos can offer are those which are based on top-level statistics (as the regular punters don't have access to this stuff). If Robinson or Stevens (or anyone for that matter) were to write an article explaining Collingwood's gameplan over rounds one two three etc citing stats such as player hotspots (where they are on the field), inside-50s targetted at specific players, possessions gathered by player x in y number of minutes tagging player z etc etc etc, I would want to read it.

Despite the plethora of stats available to the footy journos, how often are such articles written? Rarely. It is laughable how little the average Australian Rules footy fan knows about their own team's tactics and strategy, and much of this is because our few media outlets rarely go into any detail on these matters. Maybe Robinson and Stevens don't actually know much about footy on-field, I'm not sure. But if you gave me access to the top-level stats provided by the professional statisticians I could write you article after article explaining exactly what each team is doing and why - and there are plenty of people out there who want to read this stuff (the Champion Data 2012 Prospectus is sold out, to give you an idea).

I don't think they can mate. I've been doing it with the NY Times for ages.

My understanding is that they can but they won't, as they still want the traffic generated by google searches. Happy to be corrected on this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today is an interesting day for Sports news junkies. The Herald Sun have implemented a pay wall requiring people to take out varying levels of subscription to get access to full articles and all the latest news.

Be interested to hear what other Big Footy users think of this system. For one thing I am sure it will lead to a proliferation in user generated news sites. I also think that the good people down at the Herald Sun have vastly over estimated the willingness of the public to pay for something they have been getting for free for the last 10 years.

My 2 cents.

News Corp is welcome to commit suicide. Note also what Vlad is doing by putting more original content on afl.com ... but if News Corp want make afl.com a better option, then I'll get my news off Vlad.

This will cost greedy Murdoch/News LTD big time.

The print newspapers are dying at a rapid rate and people wont pay for online crap they could get for free in the past.

All power to Big Footy and other non commercial sites..

HS would want to have exhibited a far higher level of professionalism BEFORE the pay wall went up if they wanted my cash. They sure as hell aint getting it now, not when there are plenty of other avenues to get the football news.

Yeah it's all very well having a pay wall but you need to provide quality journalism that is worth paying for, the HUN certainly don't and people will simply go elsewhere to get their footy news.

The only way paywall will work is if every single major news site does it, and then sue the hell out of anyone that republishes their stuff (which is their right to do.)

However, with even one or two holdouts, there is a failure.

If major papers go bust though, I think people will be worse off than they realise. Hack blogger << actual journalist (talking news, rather than sports, right now).

Once the advertisers get the gist of what is happening I think Big footy will even be able to produce a modest footy news sticky prepared by reliable servants of the forum - who may get some return for their time from this advertising stream ie. even better than is there now.

It's a start: http://www.bigfootynews.com/

Forget it. Absolutely no way am I paying to read what is usually either rehashed media releases, the bleeding obvious or false

It's journalistic candy. I can do without it and will probably feel better as a result

I believe Sheahan's Top 50 will be considered 'premium' content and will be behind the paywall.

It will be interesting to see how News Ltd react when the top 50 is published elsewhere, on blogs, forums etc.

News Corp is renowned for attempting to protect its content.

Unrelated maybe, but seeing also on the Blog Space the calling out of Football Experts in not knowing the stuff their paid to know, I've had enough of professional sports journalists. Channel 9's Summer of Cricket was appalling.

Possibly the greatest motivator for someone who is a media studies/arts/journalism student to go out there and take the power back.

The Internet is a great democratizing force. This sort of paying for rubbish is probably the key motivator for starting the radio show on community radio, I'm currently work on with some of the other BigFooty contributors. All the clubs we've emailed have wanted to play ball with us. We've got nearly the same amount of access as the media, and I reckon we'll probably do a better job then these hacks.

Also, get on the BigFooty News. Great set up, even if its in it's infancy. Exciting times ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back