Hearld Sun Superfoooty Pay Wall goes up.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's been a number of threads on this site since I've joined along the lines of arguing a point of view and using an article from a 'respected' journo to back them up.

If you argue to the contrary often the reply will come back, 'Yeah, I'd take the side of a nobody on a forum as opposed to the opinion of someone who gets paid to watch and write about footy for a living.':rolleyes:
or words to that affect.

Even ex-players, once they've been out of the game for long enough (and it's getting shorter and shorter now with the rapid developement of game plans etc) can be pretty clueless at times unless they still have involvement such as assistant coaches, skills coaches, board members etc.

My point is, I've often said there'd be plenty of people on these boards who'd know just as much if not more than a lot of journos but it's not their career so aren't able to devote full time hours to writing about it.

Since he's been mentioned a few times, someone like Robbo, jack of all trades and master of none. I can come onto these boards and read some very informative stuff that he wouldn't be able to put together unless he's armed with a heap of research assistants, statiticians and producers polishing it all up. Drafts and trading being a case in point. I can also come on and have a serious discussion or a good chuckle.

Caroline Wilson and her cohorts seen dancing in the streets celebrating their massive windfall.

Stopped reading the HUN a few months ago. I used to at least glance at it, but don't even do that anymore. The only articles I'm interested in are released by the AFL or by the club. If I'm really curious, I might hit up The Age. Articles appear to be far more informative and professional.

Paying for stuff written by the HUN is ludicrous. Cannot see this flying very easily.

Anything I read on there I can usually find on BigFooty nearly half an hour earlier anyway. :D

On a side note, last Thursday night on AFL 360, Robbo asked Mooney and Hall about bounties.

Wasn't there a thread on here a week or two beforehand about it?

On a side note, last Thursday night on AFL 360, Robbo asked Mooney and Hall about bounties.

Wasn't there a thread on here a week or two beforehand about it?

He asked because it's a massive issue in the NFL not because he read bigfooty lol.

The Murdoch clan can rot in hell! Enough already with the naked greed and illegal phone tapping scandals. You pay for the paper and now you pay online - think again! Wall to wall online ads raking in good revenue ain't enough? Come on! Where does the greed stop? It's just like Foxtel - pay for the privilege and then get slugged with a million commercials per episode.

"Let them eat cake!" is what the Murdoch establishment is essentially saying. I won't be fooled. Hopefully no one else will.

He asked because it's a massive issue in the NFL not because he read bigfooty lol.

And you know for a fact that it wasn't because he read it on here?

Is that you Robbo?

I used that as an example because it's the most recent one I could think of, there's been numerous instances of journos getting ideas for stories or content for stories off these forums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth a read:

http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2012/01/newspapers-paywalls-and-core-users/

For some time now, newspaper people have been insisting, sometimes angrily, that we readers will soon have to pay for content (an assertion that had already appeared, in just that form, by 1996.) During that same period, freely available content grew ten-thousand-fold, while buyers didn’t. In fact, as Paul Graham has pointed out, “Consumers never really were paying for content, and publishers weren’t really selling it either…Almost every form of publishing has been organized as if the medium was what they were selling, and the content was irrelevant.”

My 2c:

The only insights footy journos can offer are those which are based on top-level statistics (as the regular punters don't have access to this stuff). If Robinson or Stevens (or anyone for that matter) were to write an article explaining Collingwood's gameplan over rounds one two three etc citing stats such as player hotspots (where they are on the field), inside-50s targetted at specific players, possessions gathered by player x in y number of minutes tagging player z etc etc etc, I would want to read it.

Despite the plethora of stats available to the footy journos, how often are such articles written? Rarely. It is laughable how little the average Australian Rules footy fan knows about their own team's tactics and strategy, and much of this is because our few media outlets rarely go into any detail on these matters. Maybe Robinson and Stevens don't actually know much about footy on-field, I'm not sure. But if you gave me access to the top-level stats provided by the professional statisticians I could write you article after article explaining exactly what each team is doing and why - and there are plenty of people out there who want to read this stuff (the Champion Data 2012 Prospectus is sold out, to give you an idea).

Spot on.

I've been saying that for years.
Even relatively expensive footy rags like Inside Footy, rarely provide us with anything more than superficial coverage and fluff.

Why not analyse game plans etc?

Having read the Geelong Board for several years now, I know that the quality of analysis that is delivered by these members is as good as any tripe that HS spits out.

I'll be reading the other team boards for Previews and reviews before I pay HUN 150 a year.

dream murdoch dream....

Go Catters.

This, poor lay out

Although I'm useless in layout development, apparently there's a layout change for the start of the H&A...

And quite frankly, some incredibly poor writing.

That said, it's easy to sit back and criticise.

Welcome to improve if you've got criticisms - hit us up on Twitter. We all have BF accounts, remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back