Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v Richmond, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 22 April

Predict the winner and margin

• Geelong by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 1-24

• Draw

• Richmond by 1-24

• Richmond by 25-48

• Richmond by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Premiership Season Round 4
Geelong V Richmond

picture.php
--------- V ---------
New_Richmond_Logo.jpg

Sunday22 AprilSimonds Stadium 1:10 PM (Local Time)
Geelong Forecast Geelong Radar

Preview

The vibe
I've witnessed many a "false dawn" down at Punt Road. We all have. This feels different to me. This group, lead by Cotchin and Martin, feels like the new breed. Tigers fans are clearing their throats. Will the purr become a roar?

Cats are trying to work out how to do it all again. Stephenson is trying admirably to fill in for the retired Ottens but Ling doesn't yet look replaceable. It took until round 15 to register the first loss last year. This year there are already two losses on the board. Will the Cats' fortunes mirror their wounded stadium? Or do the Cats have more lives yet?

Last time the Tigers beat the Cats
Round 9 2006 Kardinia Park

During the Cats' well documented annus horribilis the Tigers pulled off a stirring victory at the Cattery. To add insult to injury, Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison both played, as did Brad Ottens, the man they had replaced at Tigerland. Take THAT Geelong! Richmond were within a kick at every change before piling on 5.2 in the final quarter to Geelong's 0.9 to win by 20 points. Mathew Stokes picked up 11 possessions on debut, while Kent Kingsley impressed the Tigers' recruiting team with a dominant six possession, one behind display in his fourth last game for the Cats.

Since then, the Cats have won seven in a row against the Tiges.

Last time they played
Round 18 2011 Docklands

This match wins my award for least memorable Cats game of 2011. Nobody expected the Tigers to win. And they didn't. Geelong were up by 61 at half time, and pulled away in a riveting second half to win by 62. Allen Christensen picked up a Rising Star nomination after equalling the career high 26 disposals he'd gathered against Adelaide four rounds earlier. Chris Newman strained his PCL. Nuff said.

Key Matchups
A noticeable feature of all recent encounters is that no Richmond player ever mans up on a Geelong opponent. That being said, let's examine some theoretical duals.

Lonergan vs Vickery
Lonergan had his hands full against North's tall timber last week but should fare better against the sadly out-of-touch Vickery (should he even be selected). Vickery has taken three matches to gather as many possessions as Cotchin gathers in one half. Shannon Byrnes could do the job of minding him on current form.

Hawkins / Pods vs Rance / Grimes
These four men are arguably the form players for both sides. Hawkins has continued his form from the finals, Rance has announced himself as the defensive general in the absence of Moore, Grimes has just collected the Rising Star round three nomination (congratulations!) and Pods is in career best form (in my opinion). Having said all that, Hawkins is still yet to perform consistently throughout any home-and-away season. He has a real chance to impress at home against the younger, smaller Richmond defenders.

Best four mids
Martin, Cotchin, Foley, Deledio vs Selwood, Bartel, Kelly, Corey
Mmmmmmm! Explosive exciting up-and-comers versus quartet of triple premiership superstars.

The prediction
Richmond played very well at the Cattery in the NAB Cup this year and one of the surprising factors was kicking for goal. It was a perfect example of knowledge being dangerous. The Cats kept telling us all just how difficult kicking for goal will be at the Barwon River end, without the grandstand for cover. And then, as if to prove it, they kicked for goal like pansies.

Richmond didn't know how difficult it would be and they didn't care. They just went BANG! Check out the Riewoldt and Houli goals in the second quarter if you don't believe me. If Richmond can reproduce that sort of attitude they'll put on a good show.

Geelong, in their defence, were missing a host of premiership players, and will be keen to make amends in the first game at home in 2012 after unavailing the premiership flag.

Line betting says Geelong by 36.5 points. I'll say Geelong to win under the line. Cats by 28.

Wanted: Geelong vs Richmond ticket

Hey all,

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it appears that all tickets have been sold out for the Round 4 game (and with less seating due to ground advancements, I'm not surprised). My interstate barcode didn't work either, and eBay doesn't have any tickets, so BF is just about my last hope!

So, with all that said, does anyone have a spare reserved seating ticket for the Round 4 game that I can buy from them?

Thanks!

Adam

I was just able to buy GA tickets now. Couldn't get any reserved seats. Was able to the other day but it wouldn't let me buy any additional non-members tickets for my friends.

Should've just gone alone!!

Re: Wanted: Geelong vs Richmond ticket

I was just able to buy GA tickets now. Couldn't get any reserved seats. Was able to the other day but it wouldn't let me buy any additional non-members tickets for my friends.

Same here. :( Waited till yesterday to buy someone who is a non-member a ticket, and found that no allocation had been held for yesterday. I then kind of hoped maybe some had been held for today, same result. In the end got GA, because at the very least I want to attend the 2011 flag ceremony.

I had seen all the fine print that says provided there are tickets left, but it's always said that every year. Guess I was just a little too hopeful. A LOT of people I know in the Wade stand have told me they chose the hiatus option this season, so I thought maybe the demand wouldn't be as dire as most would guess.

Anyways, one season of a little heartache is worth it in the long run, just glad we have our ground still. :)

Yeah, I thought there may be a ticket or two up on eBay, but no dice. Can only hope that someone puts up a ticket during the next week! GA might be a goer though, as I've got to leave during the second half to get back for the Stynes game! Big day of footy!

Did the same, waited to go with a non member. We will both be in general admission. At least I will be there to see the flag raised. I wonder if Mooney will be going with his Sen commitments? Whether he would want to go? Given his comments during the 2 hours DVD, that he "didn't feel a part of the day". Or words to those effect.

I was at work this morning when they went onsale. Tried buying some just now and not even standing room was left :( absoloutely shattered. took a few days annual leave from work just to make the trip for the game and to stay a few days and all for nothing now. Absolute bummer. I figured there definitely would have been high demand with a lot of seats unavailiable this year but to not even get standing....cant believe ill be missing the flag unveiling! :(

any suggestions on a good place to watch the game in geelong?
im staying at a house in breamlea so may as well make the short trip to geelong and watch the game at a pub.

I'm in the same boat as Spriggzy. Can anyone shed some light on this or know where it is possible to snag a ticket or two? Standing room only is fine with me I just want to watch the Tigs play. I have also booked flights (from Darwin) and taken leave so I can see this game. Don't really know what to do here :(

sucks pretty hard hey tigerblood. if your intrested i did just come across two standing tix on ebay. i would go for them myself but i need three tickets.

Home game finally

Round 4 and the reigning premiers finally get a game at home. AFL are you kidding me.

Re: Home game finally

ey sorry guys but was just wondering if anyone could help me out in regards to getting tickets to the game this sunday....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks this isn't a danger game is kidding. Richmond tore us up in the NAB Cup due to classy ball movement and speed. They're coming off a win and will be full of confidence, and they're put in 2-3 decent quarters against both of Carlton and Collingwood. Cotchin, Martin and Deledio are A-grade players.

I hope we come out breathing fire and smash them, but realistically I'll be happy with a 20-30 point win. Richmond will head down the highway with the attitude of having nothing to lose, our players will subconsciously be aware of the criticism that will come their way if they fail to play well.

Had a quick scan of the VFL thread but couldn't see any mention of whether J Hunt played. Can we expect him back in the seniors this week? We've really missed him so far IMO - would have lined up on Ballantyne in round 1 and Edwards yesterday, two players who went a long way to their teams winning.

Had a quick scan of the VFL thread but couldn't see any mention of whether J Hunt played. Can we expect him back in the seniors this week? We've really missed him so far IMO - would have lined up on Ballantyne in round 1 and Edwards yesterday, two players who went a long way to their teams winning.

nope didnt play, was line ball apparently and I wouldnt expect him this round either (in the AFL anyway) and I agree, not having him is hurting us I reckon, likewise Wojo (and obviously Scarlo).
Its interesting just home much speed and run and carry we have sitting on the sidelines, Wojo and Varcoe provide so much of the above, especially Wojo I consider him one of the most important players from the last several years, fantastic player.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a danger game is kidding. Richmond tore us up in the NAB Cup due to classy ball movement and speed. They're coming off a win and will be full of confidence, and they're put in 2-3 decent quarters against both of Carlton and Collingwood. Cotchin, Martin and Deledio are A-grade players.

I hope we come out breathing fire and smash them, but realistically I'll be happy with a 20-30 point win. Richmond will head down the highway with the attitude of having nothing to lose, our players will subconsciously be aware of the criticism that will come their way if they fail to play well.

We're definately missing Varcoe's zip in the midfield and forward line. the guy has fantasic forward pressure too, and Wojo. Get them 2 back and we'll automatically look a lot faster and sharper.
But in reference to the Richmond game - lol, this is not a "Danger game"
Has Geelong not taught you anything in the past 5 years? It's that we dont like losing and hardly ever lose 2 a in row. Our team responds well to criticsm and will be angry at that awful dislpay yesterday. just like they were 5 years ago when they lost to the kangaroos, then came out the next week and beat richmond by 157 pts. Bad omen for the tigers. Sure richmond have slightly improved, but im still tipping a victory of around 80 odd points. Unfurling the flag too, it's gonna be a massive day. all on our home ground. All the signs point to a flogging for mine. Have a bit of faith in the cats dude. they've given us nothing but joy over the past 5 years and have not put a foot wrong, if it werent for that horrible GF in 08, but otherwise only a bleep on the radar in what is currently a golden era. When Geelong show some serious signs of dropping away, then i'll sit up and take notice, but until then, no need for alarm bells just bcos of one awful dislpay from sore cats coming off a 6 day break and looked flat. pffft, danger game, against richmond. lol

We're definately missing Varcoe's zip in the midfield and forward line. the guy has fantasic forward pressure too, and Wojo. Get them 2 back and we'll automatically look a lot faster and sharper.
But in reference to the Richmond game - lol, this is not a "Danger game"
Has Geelong not taught you anything in the past 5 years? It's that we dont like losing and hardly ever lose 2 a in row. Our team responds well to criticsm and will be angry at that awful dislpay yesterday. just like they were 5 years ago when they lost to the kangaroos, then came out the next week and beat richmond by 157 pts. Bad omen for the tigers. Sure richmond have slightly improved, but im still tipping a victory of around 80 odd points. Unfurling the flag too, it's gonna be a massive day. all on our home ground. All the signs point to a flogging for mine. Have a bit of faith in the cats dude. they've given us nothing but joy over the past 5 years and have not put a foot wrong, if it werent for that horrible GF in 08, but otherwise only a bleep on the radar in what is currently a golden era. When Geelong show some serious signs of dropping away, then i'll sit up and take notice, but until then, no need for alarm bells just bcos of one awful dislpay from sore cats coming off a 6 day break and looked flat. pffft, danger game, against richmond. lol

I hope the players don't go into the game with your attitude because we'll lose.

North's speed really worried us yesterday and the Tigers have a few players that can burst away from stoppages - Martin, Cotchin - and the likes of Nahas buzzing around the forward line.

I hope and expect to win, but it is foolish to think we will simply show up and win by 80 points. We'll need a major improvement in attitude, effort and certain individual players to lift for that to happen. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully the boys have sat down and had "The Talk" with Scotty.

Much like "The Talk" that happened after round 5 2007.

Would very much love to see the same outcome as season 2007.

I hope the players don't go into the game with your attitude because we'll lose.

North's speed really worried us yesterday and the Tigers have a few players that can burst away from stoppages - Martin, Cotchin - and the likes of Nahas buzzing around the forward line.

I hope and expect to win, but it is foolish to think we will simply show up and win by 80 points. We'll need a major improvement in attitude, effort and certain individual players to lift for that to happen. Fingers crossed.

We were simply flat against Nth Melbourne yesterday dude. As well as Nth Melbourne played, credit to them, but the reality is, we were off our game. I'm confident we're gonna see a major improvement in those things you mentioned. Not expecting to just rock up and win by 80, we'll need to bring our A game. But i have no reason to believe we won't bring our A game. I will be watching intently on Sunday and we'll know from the first 5 minutes about which Geelong team has turned up. I just need to find someone with foxtel. lol

Richmond will lose and it will probably be 6 goals +
Whats Geelongs recent record for premiership points like in their hometown ;)

Got a couple of questions fellas if you dont mind me asking.
Does anyone know what time the gates open on sunday?
Is there a curtain raiser on beforehand?
Whats the expected weather for sunday in Geelong?

Actually we're on a losing streak down there.

Yeah gates open after breakfast as that's when Geelong like to do their killing.
The curtain raiser on beforehand is the unfurling of the flag
and the weather is expected to be cloudy, with the chance of another Richmond shalacking!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back