Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Footscray-logo-1999.gif
VS
North-logo-2007.gif

1.10pm, Sunday May 13, 2011, Etihad Stadium
Last time we met: Western Bulldogs 17.9.11 def by North Melbourne 21.16.142, Round 17 2011, Etihad Stadium

Extended Line-ups:
Western Bulldogs:
B: Murphy, Lake, Hargrave
HB: Cross, Austin, Addison
C: Picken, Boyd, Higgins
HF: Cooney, Roughead, Veszpremi
F: Liberatore, Cordy, Giansiracusa

Foll: Minson, Griffen, Dahlhaus

I/C: Grant, Sherman, Wallis, Smith, Roberts, Pearce, Dickson

North Melbourne:
B:Macmillan, Thompson, Delaney
HB: Wells, Firrito, Harper
C: Atley, Swallow, Harvey
HF: Cunnington, Goldstein, Wright
F: Edwards, Petrie, Thomas

Foll: McIntosh, Ziebell, Bastinac

I/C: Warren, Adams, Anthony, Delaney, Pederson, Sierakowski, McKenzie

Bulldogs Preview: This week the Dogs come up against North Melbourne who have been travelling ok and should be on the cusp of the 8 come finals time. They come off a Perth trip against the Eagles. The Bulldogs were impressive against Collingwood in perhaps their best performance of the year, despite the loss, and will come into this week with confidence that a win is not out of reach. As a side note, members can get in this week as a replacement for the Darwin game.

At the Selector's Table: One forced change this week see’s Wood on the sidelines for 3 weeks with a hamstring injury, unfortunately after finding some good form. From available players, Austin is likely to be pushed out of the side if Markovic is to return. Next in line to go may be Veszpremi and Sherman who haven’t done a lot wrong but may be moved on for balance, or Cooney who may be due for a rest with his knee. Pushing for selection with Markovic will be Grant and Cordy who both missed last week with minor injuries (aka rested). Tutt may have put his hand up but has again been sidelined due to injury sustained at Williamstown, with Howard, Dickson, Smith and maybe Hill pressing for a call-up. If the selection committee is to decide on carrying just two ruckmen into the game, Cordy or Roughead will miss. Predition: In: Markovic, Grant Out: Wood, Austin

The Game: This game will really show where the Dogs are at, coming up against a mid-table opposition at a neutral venue. Similar to us, the Kangaroos play a high possession game with a lot of handballing and short kicks, particularly when coming out of defence. This leaves North Melbourne vulnerable to turnovers if disposal efficiency is not high, so it will be important for the Dogs to pressure them around the ground to force mistakes or long kicks. The Bulldogs will win the contested possession count, however the Roos have silk in guys like Swallow, Harvey, Wells and Ziebell. Captain Swallow has been their best mid so far, so Picken will likely go to him, although Ziebell and fast improving Bastinac should be considered. Brian Lake will no doubt go to Petrie at full back, whilst Markovic will go to Tarrant if both play. Aaron Edwards leads the goalkicking count for the North Melbourne, whilst they also have some speedy crumbers in Thomas, Harvey and Wells which will cause headaches for the Bulldogs’ defence. Our defence performed very well last week, but allowed many ‘easy’ goals to Collingwood as players slipped through holes, so this must be addressed. McIntosh has hit form this year after extended stints on the sideline, and Goldstein may be brought back in from the VFL, so the Dogs’ ruckmen in Minson, Roughead and/or Cordy will have a big task. Scott Thompson has been impressive at full back and will likely take Roughead or Cordy, whilst Firrito will run with Jones as he leads up. The Bulldogs found several goals from beyond the 50m line against Collingwood, so if they can kick straight from long range they should beat their season average of 10 goals per game and push for the four points.

Players to watch:
Nathan Djerrkura: Has been impressive this year, but quieter over the past fortnight. If he can develop consistency, should entrench himself in the 22.
Robert Murphy: Still regularly pulling out excellent performances, he copped some bad press after 2 uncharacteristic turnovers late in the game last week. Expect him to respond strongly.
Ryan Griffen: Continues to excel and may have even taken a further step this year. Picking up 30+ disposals most games, is a worrying prospect for North Melbourne if he is again firing.

Prediction:Costly mistakes at bad times hurt last week, and the Dogs must ensure that North Melbourne need to really work hard for each goal. Provided the effort from last week is there, the Dogs will come close, however a determined Kangaroos outfit will be keen to make amends having fallen away late against the Eagles. North Melbourne by 15 points.

Good write up Sentinel. :thumbsu:

I hope the players are switched on for this, with North having come back from WA and us with a couple extra day's break its definitely to our advantage.

With Lake doing a good job on Cloke I'd hope that he keeps it up against Petrie who has killed us in the past.

No doubt Picken will be looking forward to running with Harvey.

The worry for us as ever is the forward line. If we keep the same intensity level as the game against the pies and share the load with goal kickers, we are a big chance to win it.

Disposals are almost identical, as are the clearances and contested possession counts. You guys mark a little more, but you also kick a little more too.

Statistically speaking the biggest difference between our two teams this year is that our forward targets have actually kicked goals and we have had a more even spread of midfielders getting forward to hit the scoreboard. Could this be a reflection of a fitter, more mature midfield group?

No doubt Picken will be looking forward to running with Harvey.

Hmm, I didn't even think of Harvey as a potential tag, but that would definitely be an option, he does like to hurt us.

I've had a terrible record of predicting who Picken will go to this year (eg thought he was a shoe-in to run with Pendles last week), so I'm confident if its not Harvey then it will be someone else not mentioned at all!

Statistically speaking the biggest difference between our two teams this year is that our forward targets have actually kicked goals and we have had a more even spread of midfielders getting forward to hit the scoreboard. Could this be a reflection of a fitter, more mature midfield group?
Yeah that's been our clear downfall, actually turning inside 50's into scores, we rank lowest in the league. Some of that blame comes from the midfield group butchering kicks when they bring it in (we still have experience with Boyd, Cross, Griffen etc and fitness hasn't been an issue so far), but its also due to an obvious lack of strong targets. North are kicking 7 more goals per game on average then us, with the majority coming from forwards like Edwards, Petrie and Thomas plus a few part time forward-mids. Our goals have come from an even spread of midfielders and forwards, with our big men Jones, Cordy and Roughead only having kicked 9 between them all year. There's a real lack of consistency up forward for us, as we need to find different avenues to goal each week and none of these has worked over every game (ie last week we kicked maybe 5 goals from outside the arc, other weeks we will be lucky to kick 1 or 2 from there)

Disposals are almost identical, as are the clearances and contested possession counts. You guys mark a little more, but you also kick a little more too.

I wouldn't put it down to fitness. Our midfielders are pretty fit. More so the delivery coming into the forward line, as well as you guys having a few more marking targets.

I see us being able to hurt North coming off the half back line. All year they have had trouble with attacking half backs, so im hoping Murph has a good game. It's a shame Wood is out, because he could have done some damage too.

Our backline needs to work really hard this week, as the North forwards don't need a lot of opportunity to hurt you on the scoreboard.

I think we'll struggle again this week to kick goals. Roughead at FF isnt a fix, I dont know why they dont give Panos a few goes to make his mark. Really, what have we got to lose by doing it?

I see North's forward line giving our defense a work over and wining by 18 points

I think we'll struggle again this week to kick goals. Roughead at FF isnt a fix, I dont know why they dont give Panos a few goes to make his mark. Really, what have we got to lose by doing it?

I see North's forward line giving our defense a work over and wining by 18 points

I'm worried about our depleted back line and poor forward conversion. I actually think we should win the midfield battle, it just won't be enough. Though if we play to the same endeavor we did last week we should give them a fair shake.

Overall a really good summary of the game, well done.

My only comment is that it suggests its a "given" WB will win the contested possessions for the game, but not sure if its that clear cut between the teams in that area.

Both teams struggle to use it effectively, especially going into the forward line, and tend to turn the ball over too often when they have clear control of the footy (in my humble opinion).

Reckon it will be a good/tough game. Much closer than what many are suggesting in other threads, both teams have plenty to play for :thumbsu:

I wouldn't put it down to fitness. Our midfielders are pretty fit. More so the delivery coming into the forward line, as well as you guys having a few more marking targets.
If we have a look at the scoring avenues for North this year we see the following:

Edwards: 15
Harvey: 10
Thomas: 9
Petrie: 9
Adams: 7
McIntosh: 7
Macmillan: 7
Cunnington: 7
Bastinac: 6
Harper: 6
Ziebell: 5

3 players who play some to all their game as a forward marking target and 6 midfield/half forward types.

Bulldogs:

Giansiracusa: 8
Cooney: 6
Higgins: 6
Jones: 6
Griffen: 5
Dalhaus: 5

1 marking target, 1 small forward and 4 half forward/midfield types.

North are certainly generating more scoring opportunities from more varied options and also have a significantly greater inside 50 count, which indicates better ball movement and usage in the middle. Perhaps this is a reflection of our tendency to clear from stoppages by chains of handballs before kicking forward. Have the Dogs been throwing it on the boot from stoppages or have they been relatively clean with their take away work?

I see us being able to hurt North coming off the half back line. All year they have had trouble with attacking half backs, so im hoping Murph has a good game. It's a shame Wood is out, because he could have done some damage too.

Our backline needs to work really hard this week, as the North forwards don't need a lot of opportunity to hurt you on the scoreboard.
Our turnovers have hurt us badly this year at times, but so too has our work at stoppages. Although we do well in clearances, we seem to allow too many scoring opportunities for our opponents when they win the ball from a stoppage. We are setting up almost in a one on one fashion, which is good when we win the ball, but not so when we lose it.

If the Dogs can get running from half back, if we are pushed up too far you will generate opportunities to hurt us. Your boys will just need to use the pill well and get in behind our midfield.

I'm worried about our depleted back line and poor forward conversion. I actually think we should win the midfield battle, it just won't be enough. Though if we play to the same endeavor we did last week we should give them a fair shake.

We've gotten our goals the hard way to date. Very few goals have been delivered as a result of good delivery into the FW50 and someone taking a strong mark.

Our midfield will be ok, but we'll break down across the 1/2 fw line.

We've gotten our goals the hard way to date. Very few goals have been delivered as a result of good delivery into the FW50 and someone taking a strong mark.

Our midfield will be ok, but we'll break down across the 1/2 fw line.

Agree with that.

Didnt even realize but Tutt is out for another 4 weeks, been a really unlucky year for him!

Hopefully Howard comes straight in we need him with Wood out.

Would like to see Hill be given a go this week too but not so likely to happen unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All things being equal North are currently ahead on development and should win.

However, this is far from in the bag, put enough pressure on Brad Scotts running game and you will win the match.

We need to go in that same bite and hunger like we did on Friday night except this time we need to finish it off in-stead of dropping off in the last quarter.

I agree 100% with the ins and outs. Grant and Markovic to re-claim their spot with Howard and Hill to have another run with Willy and continue to push for selection.

Lake to Petrie, Markovic to Edwards is how I think we will line-up in the backline on their key talls.

Dogs by 13646264734.

But nah. Expecting a pretty shitty game. Tight and contested with a lot of poor skills on display. Norf by 19 points.

Well if anyone else on here had "enjoyed" the expert trolls from some WCE fans and even Essendon fans this week (for whatever reason), then this week presents some real interest seeing as there is little love lost with Norf fans and us on here. I suspect they could be a bit more edgy about this game than us taking into account their expectations this year and that spells danger from a fan base that can be a bit precious.

Good right up again. I am actually more uncertain about this week than I was last week. I just wonder if we can get up for this game. There is no logic for my thoughts just a gut feeling. But again, as I said last week, if we can play like we have for most of this year, but take our chances by improving our field and goal kicking then when we do have our periods of control we can actually hurt them on the score board.

We were pretty good last week not much in it really, but at this level there often isn't. But the pattern has been the same most weeks.

Tacticaly I can't imagine that Picko will go to anyone bar Harvey. If he stars they win as simple as that. They may win regardless, but they will for sure if he stars.

Their little guys forward are also a big worry for us. We struggle to contain the good smalls. Murph will get one. Addison will have to take one also. Wood in the form he was last week is a loss, but from the weeks before probably not. But gee he was what we hope him to be last week....

I think Marko comes in if fit, they have some big forwards and Lake must take their best. While I would love Grant to come in and play back, if not all game then for some of it. Austin was ok last week and so could stay perhaps, that would not bother me.

I reckon we'll stay with just Roughead and Minson, it's just a better balance. Cords might have to have another spell.

The only other left field thought I have is that Coons plays as the sub. He's cracking in and looks to be enjoying his footy, but just felt he looked a bit sore? Maybe not. But he could be handy coming on fresh if things are tight late and we do need to manage him.

Hoping for a decent turnout despite being Mother's Day. Let's do our teams proud, fellas!
Your lucky its a Dog replacement game, same as last year and we out numbered you guys.

With Cooney, if he's playing the full game I'd like to see him play solely in the forward line.

Either that or use him as the sub, he really looks like he's struggling at the moment, don't wanna aggravate his knee condition by playing him too much in the midfield.

If you look at North's 3 wins GWS, GC, Cats who had plenty of players out. On the weekend if WC kicked straight North would of lost by 10 goals plus.

I would be disappointed to lose this one, Dogs by 24 points.

Playing Norf, now that means that if they win, they will all swarm over here like a bunch of angry ants, after not beating us for years:p

Seriously, I think Norf will get up by about 30 points. We seem to be a barometer for players on the cusp of becoming really good. Remember Petrie always killed us in the forwardline, but didn't do it with anyone else until the last couple of years.

One of their players Ziebull? Wracked up a huge score against us last year. Still I think we are much more defensive this year so that won't happen too easily.

Hope plenty of dogs fans turn up, as despite the rivalry we are both small clubs.

Your lucky its a Dog replacement game, same as last year and we out numbered you guys.

Not so sure about us being outnumbered by your fans.
I expect there to plenty of blue and white there on Sunday. ;)
Hoping for a crowd of 26-30k.

I think North are a level above the Bulldogs this season, no offense.
Should win comfortably.

Would enjoy a win this weekend more than most given the fact that North fans tend to be the biggest flogs of the lot. Not scummy like Pies, or cocky like Dons, just ridiculous. Absolute clowns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back