Preview Round 9 vs Sydney Preview & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
This week sees the great man, Lenny Hayes play his 250th game!

Jamie Cripps would be in some doubt, although he came back on I wouldn’t want to see them play him if he’s not 100%. Stanley will miss a few weeks with his hammy.

Problem Saints face is the Zebs dont play another game until June 10 due to State Game and then having the bye. So going to make it hard for some players to press for selection or get enough game time into them.

Reckon Schneider will come in this week and will be used as sub, better then getting no game time at all. Gwilt & Fisher should also be right to play this week. Raph was BOG again for Zebs, and Ledger put in another solid performance and will push their cases for selection.

IMO Beau Wilkes needs to stay in to play forward (where he should only be played) as without Stanley and with Kosi needed to ruck we will have no forward line! People will say drop him, but who on earth can play in his spot? People might say swing Gilbert forward, but he is as good a forward as Wilkes is defender!

OUT: Stanley (INJ), Cripps (INJ), ????
IN: Gwilt, Fisher, Schneider

Not sure who the 3rd out will be, but would love to see those 3 ins. But realistically don’t think Schneider will come in so will be just 2 changes.

yeah i agree if kosi is going to ruck 75% of the time wilkes holds his spot forward.

no goodes.

crippa isn't up to it yet. another pre-season but we already have his type in geary. surplus to requirements i would imagine.

back at docklands. saints by 18-24.

I'd rather Blake rucks 70% of the game and we load the midfield up with our best clearance winners, who haven't done that bad given we've been smashed in the hitouts last few weeks.

Steven especially seems to be able to rove anything, real talent there.

Works much better for the smalls when Roo and Kosi are in the F50.

Agree going back to Etihad is timely this week, our structure looks so completely out of whack at Subi.

Out Stanley (inj) Cripps (inj) Wilkes (omitted)
In Gwilt, Fisher, Schneider (love the idea of him as sub v Swans)

Heard the Mumford still may no be right, good thing as he caused headaches for us both in Rd 22 and the elimination final last year.

We have some good matchups for their in form players.

Hopefully Dempster is on O'Keefe this time and not lining up in our forward line ;)

Dempster v O'Keefe
Farren v Kennedy
Jones v Jack
Steven v Hanneberry
Roo v Richards

Rather we're facing them after breaking their two game losing streak rather than before. Would be feeling quite good about their smashing of Melbourne, which could be good or bad.

We showed some good glimpses in the 3rd and even 4th it's time to roll the dice and bring back Gwilt,Chips,Schneids and yes even Raph he's been killing it at VFL and it gives us flexibility down back helping to release Gram on to a wing.

Who come out who knows Stanley,Milne ??????

Sydney used Pyke in the ruck last week with Lewis Roberts Thompson pinch hitting.

Pyke would probably win the taps against anyone we have, but maybe Blake could spoil him a bit and outplay him round the ground.

Its probably better to have Blake ruck most of the game, ( he has a big tank ) and let Kosi stay forward when he can.

Fisher in ( for Stanley ) if available.
Maybe Gwilt in, but who comes out. I think I'd go Cripps out, and Maybe make Milera sub ( possibly early if Wilkes isn't doing much ). Milne and Saad got six contested balls each , Milera 3.
Otherwise Wilkes out but I still think I'd go Milera for sub.

Yeah I think Wilkes should get another go but only to play as a forward, he showed yesterday that he isn't up to it as a defender. We really need another key forward with Stanley injured now and Kosi needing to do more of the rucking.

Fisher and/or Gwilt should hopefully be right to go this week which will help strengthen our defence and allow Blake to play more in the ruck.

I thought Cripps was pretty good yesterday but I guess it depends on how he pulls up from his knee injury whether he plays this week or not. Wouldn't mind seeing either Ledger or Peake get a run to give us some fresh legs and some more pace.

Schneider would be handy too if he is fit, playing him as a sub would be a good option to ease him back into it.

I know Wilkes can't play KPD, but can he ruck? Just a thought, as a move of position has stalled Kosi's momentum.

I think the VFL schedule is scandalous.

Gwilt and Fisher come in for Stanley and Cripps.

Other thoughts to consider:

- I suggested the kids should be rotated over this period. Hard to drop Milera, Saad and Simpkin after how they responded in the second half yesterday. Steven was our best IMO. His enthusiasm for winning the ball is contagious.

- Schneider as the sub is a good idea. Among all St Kilda players who have been on the list for the 2008-2012 period who have played and missed as least 10 games, Schneider has the biggest positive difference between our winning percentage when he's in the side, and when he is not. With Schneider playing over that time, we win 68.5% of the time. When he doesn't play, we win 52.8% of the time. (Gwilt and McEvoy are others who has a significant percentage and didn't play on the weekend.)

I know Wilkes can't play KPD, but can he ruck?

Unfortunately not - he's like Archer. Not tall enough and (as a heavy-set player) not much of a leap on him. And hasn't done any at VFL level (where Sikora and Shepheard have done almost all the work - other than Darch letting the opposition ruckman use him as a stepladder for a couple of minutes here and there) to give anyone any confidence that he could do it.

I'd rather Blake rucks 70% of the game and we load the midfield up with our best clearance winners, who haven't done that bad given we've been smashed in the hitouts last few weeks.

Steven especially seems to be able to rove anything, real talent there.

Works much better for the smalls when Roo and Kosi are in the F50.

Agree going back to Etihad is timely this week, our structure looks so completely out of whack at Subi.

Out Stanley (inj) Cripps (inj) Wilkes (omitted)
In Gwilt, Fisher, Schneider (love the idea of him as sub v Swans)

Heard the Mumford still may no be right, good thing as he caused headaches for us both in Rd 22 and the elimination final last year.

We have some good matchups for their in form players.

Hopefully Dempster is on O'Keefe this time and not lining up in our forward line ;)

Dempster v O'Keefe
Farren v Kennedy
Jones v Jack
Steven v Hanneberry
Roo v Richards

Rather we're facing them after breaking their two game losing streak rather than before. Would be feeling quite good about their smashing of Melbourne, which could be good or bad.

Who do you see playing on Reid and Walsh? I think Jones will almost certainly go with JPK.

Something from left field perhaps

Schneider to start
Montagna the sub

The way I see the sub working is to have someone come on that can make an immediate and dramatic impact. This is why I think it has worked in the past for someone like David Rodan. It's also why I don't really like having someone like Cripps coming on as sub (and why I don't think Milera or Saad should be sub, or any inexperienced player or underdone player), because they don't tend to have as dramatic an impact in a short space of time

Montagna has been a little down on input lately but if he comes on as sub, subbing out an underdone Schneider if he's starting to blow up, he might be ready to tear it up for a quarter and a half

I want to see the sub used as a weapon, not just as a means for someone to gain some match fitness

Something from left field perhaps

Schneider to start
Montagna the sub

Montagna has been a little down on input lately but if he comes on as sub, subbing out an underdone Schneider if he's starting to blow up, he might be ready to tear it up for a quarter and a half

Montagna has had a pretty average year IMO just seems to be going through the motions. A sub role or being dropped from the side for Ledger is something I think we should consider for this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already had my rant about last weeks match on the thread "What we learnt round 8 edition" so ill get straight into it.

Some big changes coming up with Stanley probably missing atleast 2 weeks cripps is probably 50/50 and our mosquito fleet will be under attack by critics.
Roo stepped up and showed once again he can still kick a bag, not just against a bottom 8 side.

I think there are alot of possibilities for changes this week and circumstances may change throughout the week. Personally here is what I'd do

INS: Schnieds, Gwilt, Fisher
OUTS: Stanley, Cripps, Wilkes

Been struggling to find a third out, but based on milnes performance, i think he played a bit selfish as he used to do about 45 years back which may cost him a spot, otherwise, i hate to say it but it will be either Milera or Saad, the problem is i think they both played well, i think they had a goal a piece and both bring different dimensions of speed into our game plan, personally i'd keep saad i think he's jsut a tad more interesting and a bit less selfish. Most likely it'll be Wilkes

I think we have a real chance this week, we probably came in a bit cocky into Sundays match after the win vs blues so i think we'll put up a four quarter performance and easily take back the cookies despite Sydeny's win i dont think they are in great form as they havent been playing too well in melbourne.

Tuff one but if we play like we did in our last half of footy, th swans without goodes and possibly mumford, we regain 2-3 players so they have no chance.

Saints by 17.

12 disposals & 2 goals in 55% gametime is pretty damn good i would have thought!!

Don't think we should rush back Big Fish. Gwilt's got some matches under his belt, get him in there to play backline general, give Fish another week or two.

Ruck's a real worry. Mumford being out helps, but it's still going to take a titanic effort from Kosi and Blake. Did like the idea of getting Wilkes as a pinch-hitter as well, certainly better than getting him to take Blake's spot in the backline. Going to be an uphill battle for the midfield, need to work the stoppages hard, make every tackle count. I want tackles so hard, it'll rattle their ancestors.

Jones should probably go to Kennedy, if he gets going he'll kill us. Dempster to O'Keefe, still rate him, Geary needs to keep a tight eye on Lewis Jetta. Get Lenny to go head-to-head with Bolton, let's make the Swans supporters wince once again over that non-selection.

If there's doubt on Cripps, don't play him.

Who do you see playing on Reid and Walsh? I think Jones will almost certainly go with JPK.

I just wondered if Kennedy was a bit tall for Jones?

You'd think Simpkin would get Reid, and perhaps Gwilt on Walsh?

Going to be quite a few personnel changes to both teams since the elimination final, should be a good contest.

Who ever plays on Jetta must make sure they are physical with him and not let him loose on the wings where he can use his dash & carry to hurt us. Also if Kennedy drops down forward Dempster should probably pick him up I would of thought?

Good thing Mummy is still out we'll be lucky to win a hitout. Need to show the midfield boys plenty of footage of Swans stoppage set up so they know where to be to shark the tap.

Good thing Mummy is still out we'll be lucky to win a hitout. Need to show the midfield boys plenty of footage of Swans stoppage set up so they know where to be to shark the tap.

Lol. Swans have lost the hitouts in nearly every game this season. We always set up to shark the opposing rucks taps. It will be hilarious to watch 2 teams both setting up to take taps from the opposition ruckman. Pyke and Blake might as well swap jumpers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back