Scully2Folau

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Now that the rest of the AFL is starting to catch up with us after the stand-alone start...

Round 2
North Melbourne Kangaroos vs GWS GIANTS
Blundstone Arena, Hobart
1:10pm, Sun 8 April 2012

Teams:

GWS Giants
B: Chad Cornes, Tim Mohr, Luke Power
HB: Adam Kennedy, Phil Davis, Tomas Bugg
C: Tom Scully, Jacob Townsend, Rhys Palmer
HF: Curtly Hampton, Jeremy Cameron, Stephen Coniglio
F: Nathan Wilson, Israel Folau, Devon Smith
Foll: Jonathan Giles, Callan Ward, Dylan Shiel

I/C: Jack Hombsch, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Toby Greene, Dom Tyson
Emg: Adam Tomlinson, Dean Brogan, Sam Reid

In: Tom Scully, Luke Power
Out: James McDonald (suspended), Adam Tomlinson

North Melbourne Kangaroos
B: Scott McMahon, Scott Thompson, Jamie Macmillan
HB: Kieran Harper, Michael Firrito, Daniel Wells
C: Leigh Adams, Andrew Swallow, Shaun Atley
HF: Ryan Bastinac, Todd Goldstein, Samuel Wright
F: Aaron Edwards, Drew Petrie, Lindsay Thomas
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Liam Anthony, Brent Harvey

I/C: Matt Campbell, Ben Cunnington, Cameron Delaney, Aaron Mullett
Emg: Brad McKenzie, Ben Warren, Luke Delaney

In: Cameron Delaney
Out: Robert Tarrant

Definite outs:
James McDonald (suspension)

Possible ins:
Tom Scully (injury), Luke Power (injury - test), Dean Brogan (injury - test)

Could add Treloar and Buntine to that list of possible ins but I'm not sure they slot straight in as debutants coming off injuries, I wonder how they rate them next to Shiel and Hombsch who went straight in after a game with UWS (with the advantage of having been with GWS in the NEAFL last year).

Re: Round 2: GWS vs North Melb @ Blundstone Arena (Sunday 8 April)

What do think the Tassie crowd will be like. Do you reckon they'll be more hostile to GWS given that they were given the 18th franchise over a Tasmanian team?

Hopefully there'll be some support given that Mohr is a local boy.

Majority of the crowd will be North supporters, we actually have a good fan base in Tas even before the club decided to play games down here.
It will be good to see the GWS up close should be a good match. :)

Would love to see Buntine play but who would you drop from our backline to make room for him? Davis, Cornes, Mohr, Kennedy are locks and i thought Hombsch played well and townsend was a beast at the ball.

I have 5 tickets for this game.
Bay 5 Row B.
$37 per ticket (just what i paid for them)
let me know if interested

Am going down for it. V keen to see some of your kids.

Those possible ins look set to be likely ins:

Dean Brogan, Tom Scully and Luke Power to be named for match against North Melbourne
THE Giants are set to be boosted by the return of co-captain Luke Power, midfielder Tom Scully and ruckman Dean Brogan for next week's match against North Melbourne in Hobart.

Scully was rested from yesterday's practice match against the Swans at Blacktown but is expected to be fully recovered from the fractured cheekbone he received in a head clash with Israel Folau two weeks ago.

Power missed the opening match against the Swans with a hamstring injury while Brogan hasn't played at all this pre-season after bulging discs in his back flared up.

However, both of the players had made it through the hitout quite comfortably.
As mentioned in the article, Brogan will be an important addition to back up Giles with Goldstein, McIntosh and Petrie this week, followed by Cox and Naitanui next week. Power will fill the veteran presence left vacant for the next couple of weeks by McDonald, and it should also be the first official contest with all three co-captains leading the side. Scully is Scully and he should be looking to assert himself in this young midfield from his first run.

It will be interesting to see who drops out of the 22 with McDonald the only forced out.

Finally Hobart gets some footy of our own!!! :D

I'm heading over with a mate. He's organising with Sam Darley (if he plays) and Devon Smith to get us into the rooms after the game. We've sort of adopted the Giants as our second team.

Does anyone have any idea if any GWS merchandise will be sold at the ground???

Should be a good game, the Roos have some great kids of course, and experienced big men.
The Giants will be pumped for the match, but so will the 'Roos, this being their first home game in Tassie, so I expect a decent crowd.

After Tim Mohrs performance on Adam Goodes he would have to be the first choice for Drew Petrie this weekend.

Mohr was listed in the Rd 1 Football record as - 196cm 99kg

and Petrie is lited on the Roos website as - 197cm 102kg.

So Petrie is only slightly bigger bodied.

Should be a good battle.

Would love to see Buntine play but who would you drop from our backline to make room for him? Davis, Cornes, Mohr, Kennedy are locks and i thought Hombsch played well and townsend was a beast at the ball.

With GWS playing the flood as the base defense, we could list him as a forward pocket, and he'd still play down back :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's forecast to be cold and wet.

I wouldn't risk him in those conditions. Better to unveil him in front of the home crowd.

If it does rain, you guys will need to watch our small forwards. We almost rolled Hawthorn in similar conditions in Tassie with the likes of Matt Campbell and Kieran Harper very prominent.

Reports on AFL web site that Folau may miss trip to Tassie:

"However, it has come to light that Folau may not make the trip after he missed training on Wednesday.

GWS said the former rugby league player missed the session due to 'personal reasons', but it is unclear if will play in the game on the weekend."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132274/default.aspx

Realistically, we're going to be underdogs in every round this year bar perhaps Round 7 at Manuka and Round 20 at Metricon (Snow Ablett & the 21 Dwarfs). The law of averages means that we should steal a few games if we get teams at the right time, with possibly only Hawthorn, Collingwood, Carlton, West Coast and Geelong likely to be beyond any Orange Crush Ambush.

If North had stolen last week's game against the Dons, we would have had a right team/ right time confluence this week, but that heart breaking loss will almost certainly mean that they'll be up & about and ready to prove something to each other & their incredibly patient fans. They are, after all coached by a Scott, and it may just be my bias peeking through here but teams coached by either of the Kray .... oops, I mean: Scott brothers simply aren't going to slip up two weeks running.

So we're looking for a win-win here: they get the 4 premiership points on order, while we get more respect and more top notch experience against a very respectable opponent. And a chance to make a few more jaws drop as glimpses of our glorious future shine out from the furnace of our inaugural season.

My only hope is that any inclement weather does not detract from the feast of football that the stoic supporters of our great indigenous game in Hobart so richly deserve.

GO GIANTS!

I would really appreciate any feedback on if Sam Darley has a shot at getting a "home" game in Tassie this week.

Also where he sits in the mix of GWS players and getting a game.:)

I would really appreciate any feedback on if Sam Darley has a shot at getting a "home" game in Tassie this week.

Also where he sits in the mix of GWS players and getting a game.:)
Not sure how close he is to the 22, wasn't named in the best for the reserves in round one and might find it hard to crack it this week with 3 ins (Scully, Power, Brogan) and only one definite out (McDonald). It remains to be seen if any/who of the young guys will be rotated out this week though...

Would also love to here thoughts on whether or not Shiel is fit enough for a full game after his one week coming off as sub or is it likely he will play the whole game now?
Shiel got a run in the practice match last Friday vs the Swans (reserves and players returning from injury), I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to run out the game this week. I wouldn't rule out Power to finish as the sub coming back from a hamstring injury, him or whichever of the young guys runs out of legs first.

Great username.

With Dean Brogan coming into the side, you guys can free Jonathan Giles to play full forward.

Giant's Midfield:
C: Luke Power, Tom Scully, Rhys Palmer
Foll: Dean Brogan, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio
It's just too bad you don't have the depth in rotation at present, or else you could really give North a run for their money.

Could play Tim Mohr on Petrie, got nothing to lose really. If he gets in trouble, there is always Chad Cornes and Phil Davis to help out.
If Curtly Hampton can convert 2 or so and Giles 2-3, it will be a massive improvement on last week. If the Roos are sloppy, guess you guys can always move one of Chad Cornes or Phil Davis up forward to provide another option should scoring dry up.

Hope Dom Tyson and Matt Buntine plays this game, and that Tomas Bugg can continue the fine form from the Sydney game. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back