Preview Dees v West Coast - Official Preview (general match discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonaeamirri33

Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
THE GAME: Patersons Stadium, Saturday 7 April, 2.40pm (WST), 4.40pm (AEST)

HEAD TO HEAD:

Overall: Played 42, Melbourne 15 wins, West Coast 27

At Patersons: Melbourne 5 wins, West Coast 12

Since 2000: Melbourne 8 wins, West Coast 12

Last time: West Coast 16.14 (110) def. Melbourne 9.8 (62) at Etihad Stadium, Round 21 2011

Last time at venue: West Coast 15.16 (106) def. Melbourne 6.16 (52), Round 5 2011

MEDIA

TV: Fox Footy (live at 4:30pm AEST)

RADIO: SEN, ABC774

THE BETTING: Melbourne $10.00 West Coast $1.05 :)eek:)

SUMMARY:

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since Melbourne's NAB Cup win over Collingwood, when we had reason to be excited about the direction the club was taking under new coach Mark Neeld. It might have been a NAB Cup game in which both teams were missing regular key players, but there were definite signs that the hard work of summer was about to pay some dividends.

It's hard to believe that only one month has elapsed since that time of optimism for the immediate future of the Melbourne Football Club.

Since then the club has lurched from one disaster after another, starting with the Liam Jurrah crisis and reaching a crescendo with a disastrous situation created by Jason Mifsud, an AFL official talking out of school to media person Grant Thomas, who promptly published untrue allegations against Demon coach Mark Neeld. What should be a major crisis for the AFL and its leadership has been turned into an opportunity for diverse groups and individuals to dump on one of its clubs.

In the interim, we've barely raised a whimper on the field, copping a couple of NAB Cup wallopings and a humiliating 41-point drubbing at home against the Brisbane Lions, who finished in 15th place last year.

Moreover, the club has been subjected to a blaze of criticism from various commentators, with good reason, but including some downright moronic statements from some along the way. David King claims that "Melbourne has been masquerading as a football club for years". Robert Shaw says "Jack Watts was hijacked by the Melbourne Football Club at 17 years of age ... straight into an institution." Others accuse the playing group of being mentally and physically fragile, lacking in talent and demonstrating a shortage of the pride, passion and interest necessary to achieve success. Some of the criticism is justified but some of it is muddled and without any depth of thought or insight.

The usual response when a team gets a lashing from the press is to return fire and prove the pundits wrong. And now we face the difficult task of rejuvenation at a cursed place where not a single current Melbourne player has seen victory. We last won there in Round 19, 2002.

A few years before that, we did manage to produce a shock victory over the Eagles in Perth with an undermanned and depleted side. That was in round 14, 1998, when Melbourne 14.12.96 defeated West Coast 11.13.79 in Robbo's break-out game. It would be an understatement to say that the club needs a repeat of the heroics the team produced on that day.

Demon coach Mark Neeld has ridden the waves of last week's disasters with class. He was impressive in handling the after match presser last Saturday and has been strong on the Mifsud issue, correctly shunning the advice of AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou to take legal action over Thomas' comments.

Neeld is resolute. He isn't interested in pursuing personal vendettas or engaging in witch hunts over who leaked the story to the AFL official who passed on the malicious gossip to someone who wasn't too particular about fact checking, a practice employed by most reputable journalists before going to print.

He knows he has to keep focused on the main purpose of his job and that is to develop his list, to win games and ultimately, premierships. The greatest coach in the club's history was brought down in the midst of preoccupation with a defamation action, a situation from which it has never fully recovered.

The team Neeld takes across the Nullarbor must not be distracted by the off field events. The players need to show that they're prepared to have a dip as they did a month ago against one of the competition's flag favourites. Their performance this week against the Eagles could well define the direction they will take in the coming months.

WALKING WOUNDED:

The Eagles had a few injury concerns heading into Round 1, but all those under a cloud emphatically silenced any doubts. Josh Kennedy's preparations were severely limited by a foot injury, but incredibly booted seven goals in the 49-point win.

Quinten Lynch battled a hamstring issue over the summer but had 20 disposals, while Andrew Embley had 12 touches after coming on as the substitute.

With those concerns put to bed, long-term absentees Mark LeCras and Mark Nicoski, together with fringe forward Andrew Strijk (quad, 1-2 weeks), are the only injuries.

Our injury list, of course, is worryingly long - as it has been for so much of the time in recent years. There are 11 players either ruled out or in doubt for this week. Most notably, Liam Jurrah and Colin Sylvia face three more weeks on the sidelines with wrist and back problems respectively.

Also, Jordan Gysberts will miss four to six weeks with an ankle injury he suffered in the VFL last weekend, but Ricky Petterd is back in the lineup after recovering from a leg injury.

TEAMS: See the team lineup discussion thread at Teams for Saturday vs. Weagles

FORM:

West Coast's Past Five:

Round 1: Win, 21.10 (136) - 12.15 (87) v Western Bulldogs, Etihad Stadium
NAB Cup 5: Loss, 2.5.13 (61) - 2.10.17 (95) v Adelaide, AAMI Stadium
NAB Cup 4: Win, 1.10.16 (85) - 0.7.10 (52) v St Kilda, Patersons Stadium
NAB Cup 3: Win, 1.12.11 (92) - 1.12.6 (87) v Port Adelaide, Mandurah
NAB Cup 2: Win, 0.4.6 (30) - 0.1.4 (10) v Fremantle, Patersons Stadium

West Coast were impressive in the NAB Cup and even better in their annihilation against the Bulldogs last week. They started slowly but booted 11 goals to four in the second half thanks to an outstanding display by the forwards. It may be early, but the Eagles are already looking ominous.

Melbourne's Past Five:

Round 1: Loss, 11.12 (78) - 17.17 (119) v Brisbane Lions, MCG
NAB Cup 5: Loss, 9.10 (64) - 17.10 (112) v Port Adelaide, AAMI Stadium
NAB Cup 4: Loss, 0.6.8 (44) - 1.17.12 (123) v Hawthorn, Etihad Stadium
NAB Cup 3: Win, 0.11.13 (79) - 1.9.7 (70) v Collingwood, Etihad Stadium
NAB Cup 2: Win, 0.2.1 (13) - 0.1.4 (10) v Brisbane Lions, Metricon Stadium

WHO'S HOT:

Josh Kennedy embarrassed Bulldogs defender Lukas Markovic with his unstoppable display on Sunday. In addition to the seven majors, he took 11 marks in a sign that he could improve on his 59-goal haul from last year. Midfielder Matt Priddis was also on fire in that game, tallying 33 disposals and an incredible 17 clearances.

Jack Watts was one of very few Demons, along with Trengove, Magner and perhaps a couple of others, who could hold their head high after the Brisbane game. The former No. 1 draft pick had 18 disposals, five marks and a goal and had a good game overall, particularly before half-time.

PREDICTION:

If we play like we did in Round 1, frankly, we could lose by more than 100. Surely we won't be that bad again.

But even if we do vastly improve on the effort against Brisbane, there's still not much hope. The Eagles have won their past 11 games at Patersons Stadium and that streak won't be ending on Saturday night. Don't really feel like hazarding a guess at the margin, but it'll probably be substantial.

If we play like we did in the second half last week against west coast, we could lose by 200 points. Normally after the month we've had you would think things can only get better, but I'm not sure that applies until after our Round 2 match.

Gee lions look hopeless could be tough ask in wc

Is that really so, Einstein?

One more semi-troll like that, Turncoat, and it is holiday time for you.

Strong preview from you W33 on what looks like being another dark day for the club. The Eagles are an amazing team, their backline isn't amazing but it matters little as we'll be lucky to get it down there more than 30 times for the match.

Eagles by 59... possibly too conservative.

Strong preview from you W33 on what looks like being another dark day for the club. The Eagles are an amazing team, their backline isn't amazing but it matters little as we'll be lucky to get it down there more than 30 times for the match.

Eagles by 59... possibly too conservative.
I actually think our backline is our best line! Glass is a warrior who rarely gets beaten, Hurn is one of the best kicks in the comp, Schofield is becoming a very confident running player, Waters adds the hardness, McKenzie is developing very nicely.

Usually when a shellacking is forecast it doesn't come off the way you think it is going to. I would think your prediction would probably be around the mark, with us over running you in the second half similar to last week against the Doggies.

Feel for you guys, you have had a horror couple of weeks, hope things are on the up for your club (after Sat!:p).

I am not watching this one (only because I am on a brewery tour in Tassie at the time) - but here's hoping the boys show some heart and some courage, we need a few youngsters to stand up in lieu of our senior boys all being pea hearts.

Great preview W33.

For some reason I don't think our forward line will be as congested as last week, bigger ground, hopefully we move the ball quicker.

I think our boys will be absolutely stuffed come full time though. We should be comprehensively beaten throughout but the last quarter could be particularly painful and the difference between us viewing the game as a decent dip and a flogging.

Weather for tomorrow is forecast sunny and 30 degrees. I don't know why the AFL consistantly give us afternoon games early in the season. Surely it would be better for the players to schedule games in Perth at night at this time of the year?

Weather for tomorrow is forecast sunny and 30 degrees. I don't know why the AFL consistantly give us afternoon games early in the season. Surely it would be better for the players to schedule games in Perth at night at this time of the year?

It's all done for tv, we don't get to see the game till about 4:30 in Melbourne.

It's really ****ing stupid, 30 degree footy is harsh on the players of both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be worse - we used to have NAB Cup games in mid 30s to low 40s weather.

I don't think your boys will be embarassed and I certainly don't think they will put in another insipid effort like last week - that's just my gut instinct.

Really hope your gut is reliable :p

I can't see this being anything less than a 15 goal thumping. I have looked over the teams numerous times and it gets worse each time I look at it.

Cox and NicNat will give first use to WCE every single time.

Bennell is a very good inclusion though. Hopefully he uses his run and doesn't fall into the trap of playing the boundary line every single time.

Back yourself Dees - run and lead straight Mitch. Even if you don't get the pill ,it will open up the 50m and lets hope Ricky can snag a few!

Go Dees!

(optimistic yet realistic)

I can't see this being anything less than a 15 goal thumping. I have looked over the teams numerous times and it gets worse each time I look at it.

Cox and NicNat will give first use to WCE every single time.

Bennell is a very good inclusion though. Hopefully he uses his run and doesn't fall into the trap of playing the boundary line every single time.

Back yourself Dees - run and lead straight Mitch. Even if you don't get the pill ,it will open up the 50m and lets hope Ricky can snag a few!

Go Dees!

(optimistic yet realistic)

Sums it up fairly well. I think everyone is expecting a 100+ point loss here. So we really have nothing to lose. I'd like to see us spread better across the midfield and create space. Over there, we will need to. We also have to play tight against a strong midfield/ruck. I'd like to see Martin play more in the ruck this week as he can run with Cox and Nic Nat. Kicking straight and making the most of our opportunites is a must. 6.16 last year over there. If it was 16.6 we would have been close.

This has the potential to be a watershed game for Neeld and our club. If we can push the Eagles and god forbid even sneak a victory after the week we've had, it would be one of the most amazing wins in our clubs history. Hopefully at worst we have a respectable loss of 5-7 goals. I think it's possible. Dunn might ruffle some Eagle feathers and Petterd should be isolated up forward. Time for the players to 'Stand Up' for their club and supporters.

Any chance of us using all this BS to get really pumped up and have a red hot crack at the Eagles? Would that be too much to ask? Other teams would. I know we usually play ok at home after we've been bashed all week by all and sundry (see Bombers "bruise-free" game last year) but any chance of a decent performance away from home?

I mean, I'm pretty sure most dees supporters won't care if we lose, but if we can genuinely say, "well we gave em hell, and they beat us on the day" at the end of the game.

Just throw in FFS, it's your job.

Brisbane looked as if they used everything they had against us last week and after half time last night it definately showed....

Expecting a bold first half then blown out in 3rd quarter maybe to the tune of 8-9 goals. Would love to see a better showing but afraid it could be worse, either way good luck boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back