Review Round 4. The Pineapple Grapple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
That's right! We take on our big brothers the Lions from just up the M1.

Who's in? Who's out?

After his two huge performances in the Reserves, Iles has to be an in for sure. But aside from that, not too sure on the ins and outs.

Day and Mckenzie will both play next week, as said by Bluey.

For the first time, I can't think of any Suns player from the last round who would be taken out for form. They all performed in round 3 in one way or another.

Out: ?
In: Iles.

Dixon 4 goals v Morningside and named in the best, throw him in as the sub. come on fresh 3rd qtr for Day perhaps. Provides a target and frees up our small forwards.

Not sure if Stanley will be in, didnt play NEAFL on w/e due to minor injury.

Agreed, hard to find people to drop, id be suprised if Iles played despite his good 2nds form.

Weller made a few poor decisons last night but otherwise totally kept Zaharakis out of the game, keep him in to tag a Redden type next week.

Id consider dropping Brennan but as its the Lions game, he will be up for it.

Could it be the first time in club history the side goes unchanged? I cant find anyone to justiy dropping.

Is Gaz a chance to be out with his groin? He looked a bit sore after the game. I hope he's not because that was genuinely one of the best individual performances you'll see. What a champion.

Gaz did look a bit sore with his groin, Matera was also stretching his towards the end of the game. They should play, perhaps Matera would be rested.

Can't really think of anyone else to drop for form either. Everyone contributed. Maybe switch out Day for Dixon.

Ablett will play. Bluey confirmed it in the presser since he was asked that by a reporter. Just tightening up a little from the huge effort he was putting out. He's fine and not a worry.

Matera looked way more sore, but it almost looked like cramp the way he was stretching it out. Sent him a tweet about it. Hopefully he can reply! However, since he's had groin problems before, they might be really careful with it.

I've always thought of it as the Banana Split Clash.

May probably deserves to come back in & Lynch would be the most likely omission, if Day has been guaranteed another game.

Really looking forward to this , think the club should be looking at a bit of stabilty , and barring injury , maybe no change for the first time ever.:D

Upon further thought, I have realized that May will be a likely inclusion next week. He only missed this week through rest. If that's the case, then it's likely we'll see a re-structure.

So I would go,

Out: Day
In: May

What this does is free Lynch to play the forward spot, and May take his place down back. Nothing against Day, but I think he needs to find some more touch in the 2s before really making an impact up forward still. I know Bluey said he was hoping Day could play a full game next week, but hopefully not in the seniors? :D

So maybe something like...

FB: Weller, Warnock, Tape
HB: Harbrow, May, Brennan
C: Prestia, Rischitelli, McKenzie
HF: Bennell, Lynch, Hall
FF: Fraser, Bock, Matera

Fol: Smith, Swallow, Ablett

Int: Hunt, Shaw, Caddy
Sub: Russell

Realistically, that's the best move, Sunny. Day still needs a year or two to develop so he can compete at AFL level. Lynch has proven he can be a marking forward, and should play forward even if he's doing alright down back as an experiment. May down back and Lynch up forward sounds good to me.

Realistically, that's the best move, Sunny. Day still needs a year or two to develop so he can compete at AFL level. Lynch has proven he can be a marking forward, and should play forward even if he's doing alright down back as an experiment. May down back and Lynch up forward sounds good to me.

totally agree
may and lynch should not be experimented with. they should stay in their positions and fight for said positions. lynch will develop as a forward, but not if he is in defence. and may will be an epic chb, but he needs some help from a third tall. like a laidler

I actually don't mind Lynch being used in defense. He's shown that he can spoil well, almost like Rory. However, I don't think it should be a full-time thing. Perhaps switch it up if he's not getting much of the ball. Swap with Brennan maybe?

But he should be starting forward, especially with Tape, May and Warnock all being healthy and in form. Even more-so for when Thompson comes back.

Would love Ilesy to get a game, but I don't see it happening.

Probably didn't hurt Lynch to work down back a little to learn a thing or two off more experienced forwards, but I like May and Warnock in defence. Especially against Brisbane who against Fremantle showed they lack any real forward line structure other than Brown who is very underdone. Merrit can play up there but if they do that then it takes another good defender out of their backline.

Then Bock, Lynch and Fraser down forward. Lynch will get the 3rd best defender and becomes a bit more of a factor when he can get a grab or at least make a contest on the ground for Hall, Matera and Russell.

Liked Wellar in a tagging role should go to a Redden or Rockliff, did real well on Zaha.

Raines will go to Ablett, it will be up to the likes of Hunt to provide the blocking and physicality onRaines and the other midfielders to make themselves options when Ablett is out of action.

Brisbane have some real problems in the middle too, with Leunberger going down, and Black injured last week. Suns are in with a red hot chance and should dominate the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pineapple Grapple = Absolutely fantastic name. Seriously unironic congratulations to whoever came up with that one.

I'm very much looking forward to this match. The Suns are hot after last night, and the Lions are looking a bit stagnant and unsure. It should be a very interesting match.
I was going to post that exact thing! Fantastic name. Kudos to whoever thought of it!

To the game I am looking forward to it and I am hoping for a close and exciting game. With Black and Leuenberger out the Suns should be able to really test us! Hudson should be able to replace Leuy quite easily, however, and the midfield can cover for Black against the smaller Suns bodies.

Good luck this week Suns and lets hope for a close and injury free game!

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dicko play
He was good for us in the first Grapple last year and would probably like to return to the scene of the crime
Ditto Brennan
Great to see guys like Hutchins and Coad putting their hands up from the NEAFL
Jaeger O'Meara from 2013

Dixon didn't play in the first one I don't think, Sandy? We had Day and Lynch on debut, with Dixon missing.

I think Dixon will have to have a few games in the 2s for solid games like that. From what I understand, Morningside weren't entirely strong. Not playing down his 4 goal haul, but he'll need to back that up for a few weeks before being considered right now, I think.

Odds are up!

Lions @ 1.45
Suns @ 2.75

Line @ 16.5.

Courtesy of Sportsbet.

If it will be raining like predicted with a possible chance of storm, could be worth jumping on.

Wow what an interesting dilema where the entire side performed.

A few of you have talked about tinkering with the side but what appears clear is there is no spot for Brown. I wonder if he will take it on the chin and try to develop himself into a different type of player now that he struggles to compete as a backman (too short and slow) and forward (see previous brackets)

BTW I lost my voice on Sunday morning due to the GOLD COAST chant at the game, it was seriously exciting. I am salivating at the chance to have a win this week.

I actually think R3 was our best 22! Bull Stanley aside. Where is the hell is he?? Frase couldn't even tell me....I can't see anyone being dropped for Browny....I want Sam Day to stay in and FIND IT (i do understand he will take a few seasons to get him there though)...Sam Illes...hmmm...finds it...coughs it up all too often (like other's, yes!)....I'm thinking no changes unless Matera doesn't come up....

Stanley had a bit of an injury, if I recall correctly. It's why he didn't play in the 2s either.

Mike Whiting expecting 1-2 changes from the Bluey presser today.

BigFooty SUNS
@AFL_mikewhiting What's your tip for the Pineapple Grapple this week, mate? If Suns continue their form, we could be in with a good show!

Michael Whiting
@BigFootySUNS Lean towards the Lions. Bit more consistent. Suns' best is good enough, but can they do it 2wks in a row? Can't wait 2 watch!

BigFooty SUNS
@AFL_mikewhiting It's the big question. Can GC back it up? Most weeks after those games we seem really flat. Hope the boys don't ease up.

Michael Whiting
@BigFootySUNS hopefully C.Brown comes back. Zac looking better. McKenzie and Day with more time in legs. Sure they'll be up for this match

BigFooty SUNS
@AFL_mikewhiting Agree, Zac starting to come back 2 form! Any injury worries on Matera? Saw him stretching his troublesome groin quite a bit

Michael Whiting
@BigFootySUNS not sure about Matera but will check during wk. Bluey said 1-2 changes only this wk, wants to keep continuity

A few of you have talked about tinkering with the side but what appears clear is there is no spot for Brown. I wonder if he will take it on the chin and try to develop himself into a different type of player now that he struggles to compete as a backman (too short and slow) and forward (see previous brackets)

Mentioned this in the contracts thread Iva
Would he be playing at Hawthorn now?Probably not.
Does he have the engine to be a runwith player?Even that role is becoming redundant
Would be very surprised if he was offered another contract after 2013...maybe a year at a reduced rate.
Just loved Seb's work on the w/e.
I've been a harsh critic, but he's obviously taken my advice and will now push on to greatness
We call it tough love in our house

Bluey on ch9 local news tonight said 1-2 changes most likely with Browny coming back in this week (injury permitting I guess).

Black and Leunberger are big outs for Brisbane. Hudson and Longer v Smith and Fraser should bring the rucking balance back towards our favour. Black is class so obviously going to be weaker without him.

Leuey is definitely a big out. My bet is that Huddo will look to impose himself physically. Longer will do what he can as a second gamer. Talented, but a second gamer nonetheless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back