‘Set the club back five or six years’: Ex-Blue's explosive claims about Mick Malthouse

Remove this Banner Ad

n1ck

Debutant
Oct 23, 2007
Bentleigh East
AFL Club
St Kilda
Former Blues midfielder Nick Graham has made explosive claims about former Carlton coach Mick Malthouse, questioning his motives about making the move to Ikon Park.

Graham begun his Carlton career at the same time as Malthouse in 2013 and played 48 games for the club before being let go at the end of 2018.

Malthouse had just crossed from arch rivals Collingwood, where he coached 286 games from 2000 to 2011 before being replaced by Nathan Buckley under the now infamous succession plan.

Last edited:

“Most dropped player of all time holds grudge against coach who didn’t rate him”

Seriously though, I think he’s wrong.

Going to Carlton, and Carlton hiring him were driven by the mutually beneficial opportunity to stick it up Collingwood and Eddie McGuire.

Totally what drove that.

Being Carlton, they massively over rated themselves and should have stuck with Ratten for another season at least but they saw the chance to stick it up the Pies and Mick was very keen to do the same.

Didn’t work out but both parties were dreaming of the prospect of pulling off the ultimate ‘one up’ on the old enemy.

“Most dropped player of all time holds grudge against coach who didn’t rate him”

Seriously though, I think he’s wrong.

Going to Carlton, and Carlton hiring him were driven by the mutually beneficial opportunity to stick it up Collingwood and Eddie McGuire.

Totally what drove that.

Being Carlton, they massively over rated themselves and should have stuck with Ratten for another season at least but they saw the chance to stick it up the Pies and Mick was very keen to do the same.

Didn’t work out but both parties were dreaming of the prospect of pulling off the ultimate ‘one up’ on the old enemy.
Yep, Matheson and Pratt pulled the strings on this one. They still do on all the important decisions. Anyone out of favour with them doesn’t last long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

absolutely agree. ratten had them to finals 3 years in a row, getting close to a prelim and winning a couple finals, and was then dumped after 1 missing out. Literally the same as what hardwick had done for us, except that we hadnt won a final (ratten did) and we did worse in the year we dropped out.

the difference is we kept hardwick, but the blues dumped ratten for malthouse. he absolutely set them back an entire generation.

Yeah not sure how 'explosive' that is.

The only even mildly abbrasive thing mentioned was Mick only wanting to coach on to get the games record, reckon people might have joined those dots long before this. The rest would be weekly occurrences at every club in the land, surely - coach gives fringe player a spray, stop the press.

Last edited:
I imagine he came out with a few more explosive claims as well, such as the sky being blue and Hitler not being a good person?

absolutely agree. ratten had them to finals 3 years in a row, getting close to a prelim and winning a couple finals, and was then dumped after 1 missing out. Literally the same as what hardwick had done for us, except that we hadnt won a final (ratten did) and we did worse in the year we dropped out.

the difference is we kept hardwick, but the blues dumped ratten for malthouse. he absolutely set them back an entire generation.

Same for Geelong back in 2006, we had made finals and done well, then missed out one year and Bomber was under a lot of pressure but we kept him for 2007 and then....

As soon as I saw somebody post this on facebook or twitter, I knew it was going to be Nicky G.
I liked Graham. He had his limitations obviously, but I thought he deserved more of a chance. I do find it funny though, that even after all this time to reflect, he thinks that being singled out by Mick for cutting his run throughs short was about Mick showing who's boss and the top dog, and NOT about being a lazy trainer and trying to lift standards for literally cutting corners.
Mick will obviously go down in history as a failure of an appointment for the Blues, but he was also the kick up the arse that most of the players needed.

Last edited:
Employed to take the club the ‘next step’ they decided Ratten couldn’t do

one year later told malty to rebuild aggressively. Not what he signed on for, and he didn’t mind saying so

Carlton doesn’t have the cojones to last a ten year hard rebuild, but keep doing it anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back