Religion ‘Submit to your husbands’: Women told to endure domestic violence in the name of God

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it that whenever someone points out the incitements to violence or ill-treatment of women from one religion, someone has to make the subject about another religion/culture?
You do realise an unambiguous statement was made about men from a particular religion and the other group being brought up demonstrated that as being incorrect.

Chief: "Hawthorn won the 2016 AFL premiership".

Another poster: "The Western Bulldogs won the 2016 AFL premiership".

darth_timon: "Why is it whenever somebody points out something about Hawthorn someone has to make the subject about another football team?"

Also I think from this thread it is clear that Chief is a devout christian and is applying Cunningham's Law to have positive attributes of that religion discussed in this forum that is otherwise fairly hostile to Christianity.

Continuing this - after the article in the OP, hundreds more women spoke up:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/clergy-wives-speak-out-domestic-violence/9168096

Several months ago, an investigation by 7.30 and ABC News revealed women in Christian communities were being told to endure or forgive domestic violence, and stay in abusive relationships, often due to misappropriation of Bible verses on submission.

Since then, hundreds of women — a number of whom were clergy wives from different denominations across Australia — have contacted us to tell their stories.

Many did so out of frustration that some church leaders had responded to reports of domestic violence with denial, demanding urgent response.

In recent weeks, the national and Sydney Anglican churches have formally apologised to survivors of domestic violence in their ranks, and even confessed some clergy were perpetrators.

The problem is this: the Australian church knew this was happening decades ago — that it was not just rogue parishioners who were abusing their spouses, but its leaders, too. And very little has been done to fix it.

Tell me - is "Gaslighting" as we know it in 2018 restricted to domestic violence in the name of God?
I'm sure no one in this thread is prepared to answer this question.

Why do Christians always use the "but but but Jimmy next door's doing it, too" excuse?

Why do Christians always use the "but but but Jimmy next door's doing it, too" excuse?
No. What I'm saying is that if a man or woman wants to engage in domestic violence they will use whatever means is at hand to assist them in carrying it out and for also hiding behind whether it's religion or social media or something else again.

No. What I'm saying is that if a man or woman wants to engage in domestic violence they will use whatever means is at hand to assist them in carrying it out and for also hiding behind whether it's religion or social media or something else again.

Yes, a religion that teaches women to submit to their husbands and "not to deprive of them" when they want sex has absolutely no role in the behaviour of abusers, or those church leaders and pastors who cover up the crime or encourage the victims to stay in said abusive relationship, cool

I can easily turn your argument around and claim that if people are gonna be good, they're gonna be good regardless of religious "influence". Why is it that when believers do good things, it's because of the power of religion. When they do bad things, it's all because of them?

Tell me - is "Gaslighting" as we know it in 2018 restricted to domestic violence in the name of God?
I'm sure no one in this thread is prepared to answer this question.

No. But religion is a tool that lends itself very easily to such use, since its fundamental purpose is control. Also not in a misinterpretation or misuse kind of way but in a simple way of reading holy texts and taking them literally. Islam does the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any bloke claiming to follow the word of God who hits his wife, is simply a hypocrite.....end of story.

Wives submits to husbands, husbands are to love their wives etc. But is not necessarily seen as a compact between husband and wife, but rather the duty of each towards god. Thus if a husband is not loving to his wife that is his sin, it does not release the wife from her position being submissive to the husband. That is how it get used to keep a wife in an abusive relationship. Trust me, I know this happens, I have experience of it within my own extended family - the wife leaving the husband after 20 years is regarded as the one who sinned and gets shunned by her church.

Really?.....Are you sure you're not confusing the word of God with certain authors?

No, it's in the Bible, and Koran. You get to hit your wife.

I don't agree with it myself, but I think if that's your religion, you're entitled to it.

It's like Folau and his comments on homosexuality. Homosexuality is a sin, according to his faith. Who's to say he's wrong to have these beliefs?

Not according to our laws you don't.....Chapter & verse from the Bible thanks....and don't omit the context.

I'm not referring to the laws, i'm talking about God's law, which for many people supersedes the law on Earth.

Off the top of my head, I'll refer to my own Christian tradition, in which the wife is instructed on marriage to fear her husband.

I'm not referring to the laws, i'm talking about God's law, which for many people supersedes the law on Earth.

Off the top of my head, I'll refer to my own Christian tradition, in which the wife is instructed on marriage to fear her husband.

You said they were allowed to hit.....Chapter & verse thanks.....And try to find something relevant in the New Testament which pertains to Christianity.....Cheers.

You said they were allowed to hit.....Chapter & verse thanks.....And try to find something relevant in the New Testament which pertains to Christianity.....Cheers.
It's all under the banner of domestic violence. I'm not saying it's wrong. I don't agree with many things the bible or koran says but people are entitled to their religious beliefs.

It's all under the banner of domestic violence. I'm not saying it's wrong. I don't agree with many things the bible or koran says but people are entitled to their religious beliefs.

I'm still waiting for the quote where it says in the Bible that Men are allowed to hit their wives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back