‘That is wrong and unfair’: AFL greats slams ‘crazy’ rule change conversation

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
So you think they won't class it as deliberate but bring in a last touch rule. Get what they want anyway.

At the very least a last touch rule isn't open to 'interpretation' - problem is with all these new rules is so often the Ump is having to determine 'intent' in real time, so of course we're going to get non-stop howlers.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
If we are going to have a deliberate out of bounds frees then this needs to happen. Clearly defenders are punching for the boundary, its never an accident. The spoil out of bounds is more obviously deliberate than any 50-60 m bouncing kick.

Jun 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Falcons
Smacks of trying to make the game more appealing to the casual observer.

May I go record to say * the casual observer. They're slowly destroying cricket, can they leave our game alone?

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
A couple of years ago Tom Lonergan got done for that against West Coast on a night when the umps decided everything was deliberately out of bounds. Everyone thought it was stupid. It's still a stupid idea.
It was the only time I ever saw someone pinged for it

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It was the only time I ever saw someone pinged for it
Actually it happened in a Derby Rd18 2011 . I cant recall who it was, but one of the WC backmen (maybe McKenzie?) spoilt a mark with seconds to go and Hayden Ballentyne received the free kick for deliberate OOB from just outside 50. Took a kick after the siren to win the game but hit the post.

Last edited:
Back