“Be consistent you green maggot” - The Umpire Strikes Back

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been banned from a cheer squad ffs. They have a standard and good luck to them for setting an example.

In other news the 70's are over.
But the 70s were better. Back then you could have a sense of humour. Do you think Richard Prior and Eddie Murphy would be allowed to exist today? They'd be run out of town by do-gooder moral police like you.

Can I just point out that "Be consistent, you green maggot" is what the banned member claims he said?

Sorry to come across as captain cynical, but I feel like that may be a slightly watered down version of what was actually said. You know, the old: "No Mum, I just told another boy to get lost and that's why they gave me detention"?

Hey AFL - you know what helps people not hate umpires? Decent umpiring.

You know how you get decent umpires? By reducing the amount of abuse and threats umpires from the AFL to junior levels cop on a weekly basis. This may shock you, but when kids see drunk idiots screaming abuse at umpires it really puts them off giving the job a try...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love for the crowds to drop off big time over the next few years.
Agreed
I don't call s**t out at games but i do tend to shake my head a lot at dumb calls. Not just my team, but even at neutral games

That said, If the AFL handed me a 3 game ban for something like this, I'd post them my AFL membership back.

Spell me.
Can't get the rules or officiating right, but we'll punish the fans who get frustrated at the incompetence

You know how you get decent umpires? By reducing the amount of abuse and threats umpires from the AFL to junior levels cop on a weekly basis. This may shock you, but when kids see drunk idiots screaming abuse at umpires it really puts them off giving the job a try...
Why do they have to be drunk?

I abuse the umpires way more than most and I don’t touch alcohol at the footy.

Spare a thought for the humble maggot. He never asked to be compared to an umpire, and a green one at that!
True. I heard the Maggot is taking it to court, for slander and defamation. A maggot is a noble and useful critter, cleaning up organic mess in a consistent way, the umpires are the opposite, useless, inconsistent and constantly creating a mess.

Reminds me of the old joke:
What's worse than finding an umpire in your soup?

It’s just society changing and evolving. People will just have to get used to it.

Do I like it? Not really, but not much we can do about it. It’s soft, but it’s not the end of the world like some people think it is either.

Exactly. The AFL had a meeting a few months ago with media to change the commentating and reporting of umpires. No doubt the invitation also extended to game day supporter bases. The key message was that its a recreation for us fans but its a workplace for them and nobody deserves to be abused at their workplace. Clearly the supporter said something far more derogatory than what was in the memo. Proud that the RFC Cheer Squad is making a stand on this. The average fan's rights aren't being diminished here, just an individual who is part of an organised group where fully grown men and women just stand (but mainly sit) and yell abuse in between rare spurts of encouragement and support.

What do you do for work?

Do you get abused by drunk idiots for just turning up to work and doing your job?

If you don't, let us know where you work and we can come and scream abuse at you.
Ex-Detective of 20 years. So yes is the answer to your question. I’ve also been bitten, spat on, assaulted and stabbed with a syringe. A bit of verbal abuse by some hero is water off a ducks back.

Last edited:
But the 70s were better. Back then you could have a sense of humour. Do you think Richard Prior and Eddie Murphy would be allowed to exist today? They'd be run out of town by do-gooder moral police like you.

LOL - imagine believing edgy, offensive and tasteless humour doesn't exist in 2019 (and can't still be very, very funny). Ever watched Another Period? Anything by PFFR? David Cross? Anthony Jeselnik? Veep? People can still have a sense of humour, mate, calm down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back