“Be consistent you green maggot” - The Umpire Strikes Back

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is it asking? Or is it asking and then receiving permission?

As soon as they sat down in his room, still wrapped in their winter jackets and hats, Louis C.K. asked if he could take out his penis, the women said.

They thought it was a joke and laughed it off. “And then he really did it,” Ms. Goodman said in an interview with The New York Times. “He proceeded to take all of his clothes off, and get completely naked, and started masturbating.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...elevision/louis-ck-sexual-misconduct.amp.html

Fair point. I still think the backlash is ****ed. I couldn't imagine a female comic getting the same treatment - roles reversed.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Fair point. I still think the backlash is ******. I couldn't imagine a female comic getting the same treatment - roles reversed.
Well it’s a pretty weird thing to do. And the point I was making in my original post was that he was disgraced for jerking off in front of multiple women, not for telling un-pc jokes like he had been for years with no backlash.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well it’s a pretty weird thing to do. And the point I was making in my original post was that he was disgraced for jerking off in front of multiple women, not for telling un-pc jokes like he had been for years with no backlash.

It's a ******* weird thing to do. I have a joke about it (in my weak ass 6 minutes of material.)

Oh, dude I apologise then - I jumped in half way and didn't bother reading that.

Nah that's a genuine point. Louis was never under a microscope for his humour until AFTER all that.

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
Footy fans have been put on notice after a Richmond cheer squad member was given a three-game ban for calling an umpire a “green maggot’’.
Tigers’ cheer squad chiefs have now sent a memo to members, warning of bans or other disciplinary action if they criticise umpires or players.

“We ask that cheer squad members refrain from making any derogatory comments towards anyone, be it on field or off,’’ the memo said.

“Doing so may result in disciplinary action being taken by the cheer squad, the club or the AFL.’’

The banned fan has claimed he was threatened with a 12- month ban for yelling: “Be consistent, you green maggot!’’

The cheer squad memo says the fan’s comment was found “offensive and bullying”.

Is this really bullying or just a cup of home truths being served to the umpires?

What's wrong with wanting consistency.......and maggots aren't filthy animals. They get a raw deal.
As an old prick and traditionalist, i can,t believe we are talking about this. It,s part of the game. Looks like no swear words were said. no racism or anything else.Surely the umpd
Is this a joke?

More Lefty PC Perpetually Offended SJW rubbish.
As an old prick and a traditionalist, i can,t believe we are talking about this.Was there any swearing? Come on.Every week, a third of the stadium would be banned for this.Imagine the old WAFL days when with one umpire East and Sth Fremantle were playing each other( read wharfies). That,s how fans get there rocks off.Passion is what it,s about! I,m sitting here shaking my head.

Podsnap

All Australian
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t mind it. I ref junior sport and have noticed abuse (in general) has increased and intensified in the last ten years ...I suggest twitter/social media has a part in it. Happy a standard is being set.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
I don’t mind it. I ref junior sport and have noticed abuse (in general) has increased and intensified in the last ten years ...I suggest twitter/social media has a part in it. Happy a standard is being set.
Twitter is a perfect platform for celebrity types and 'thought leaders' who have nothing better to do with their plentiful time than look for something to be offended about.

The best way to turn around the behaviour of the bullying/ugly parent who abuses an umpire at a junior sporting event would be for others to confront them, physically if need be. Embarrass them in public. Shame them in front of their own children. They wouldn't do it again I'm tipping.

But I think an obscured voice at an AFL match calling out 'green maggot' is a slightly different proposition to the ugly parent at a local sporting event, where voices are clearly discernible.

Arkangel

All Australian
Jun 8, 2007
Internet City
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Herald Sun, on occasion, has been known to sensationalise non-stories, as well as to skew their reporting so as to appeal to the existing prejudices of their readership—one of which I suspect is a belief that “political correctness has gone mad”. A few things I would like to know about this issue:

- Is the HS report accurate?
- Did the cheer squad member actually say what the report indicates they said?
- If so, is this only an issue because the cheer squad is directly affiliated with the club, or would it have been an issue for any other attendee saying the same thing?
- Who was resonsible for reporting the person’s condict to... whoever it was they reported it to?

IF the report is accurate, and IF the person said what is reported, and IF the same consequences were to apply to anyone outside the cheer squad, it’s clearly ridiculous. That’s a lot of ifs though, and it wouldn’t surprise me if this was just another example of confected outrage about something that didn’t really happen (you know, like most of public discourse these days).

[Edit: Looks like it was whoever runs the Richmond cheer squad that "banned" the person rather than the AFL. So unless you're someone who deeply cares about the inner workings of the Richmond cheer squad, it doesn't seem like much of an issue.]

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The way to have decent umpires is a consistent rule set and full time umpires with accountability.

What you just said is a genuine crock of ****. I see drunk idiots hurling abuse at players and teams constantly. Look at the shortage of players we have in the country...

Hahahahha, so you don't think extreme umpire abuse at senior and junior football levels reduces the amount of kids who become umpires? Is that genuinely your opinion? For real???????

Yes, there are many ways to improve umpiring. Having more umpires so the talent pool is bigger will also lead to significantly better umpires

Gil and this pc bullshit is killing this once great game it’s no longer the people’s game if the umpires did the job without favouring sides as blatantly as they do this wouldn’t be an issue

If you go to the football and pay your hard earned you should be able to cheer or boo or call someone a maggot all you want as long as you don’t cross the obvious lines of being racist or a homophobe

Carlton warned the other week now Richmond Gil and co ruining the sport

Last edited:

Podsnap

All Australian
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Twitter is a perfect platform for celebrity types and 'thought leaders' who have nothing better to do with their plentiful time than look for something to be offended about.

The best way to turn around the behaviour of the bullying/ugly parent who abuses an umpire at a junior sporting event would be for others to confront them, physically if need be. Embarrass them in public. Shame them in front of their own children. They wouldn't do it again I'm tipping.

But I think an obscured voice at an AFL match calling out 'green maggot' is a slightly different proposition to the ugly parent at a local sporting event, where voices are clearly discernible.

It doesn't work. I'm also on committee who get to deal with the abusers. Sometimes they are shamed and apologise. The rest of the time they lose it and attack the person who dare to question them.

I'll point out the obvious and say that is isn't 'obscured' or indiscernible if someone has heard them and reported them.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
People do realise this ban has been imposed by Richmond not the AFL.
Exactly. The fact cheer squads are enforcing standards on behaviour should be welcomed by anybody who is part of a cheer squad or has family members part of a cheer squad (seriously, I have a younger cousin who used to be part of Richmond's cheer squad since her young teens, so this should be seen as a positive that kids are part of an environment with some standards). I hate censorship, but c'mon... it's a piddly three-game ban for someone who was likely ruining the mood for everyone else, so they were put on notice to clean it up.

Back