Strategy “I’m going home” - Cripps warns Gold Coast not to draft the South Australians

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if making the draft age 20 would make a difference?

Kids would be more mature and clubs would have more exposed data to assess them on...

I also think first rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract.

I like the earlier idea of no choice of club before free agency kicks in

I hope GC trade both early picks to adelaide in spite.

I hope we use them on the SA kids who then stay.

Sam day, Nathan bock have stated long term
Ballard seems very happy

Other than Polec, who is the last south Australian to go from an interstate (non Victorian) club back to Adelaide?

It is a worry, because the interstate sides in non-footy states are perennially at risk of becoming feeder clubs if they can't keep their lists together long enough to have sustained success.
Every man and his dog gets pumped when it's their side profiting from the Suns having another player poached.
The idea of clubs being able to trade without a player's permission wouldn't help on that front but could at least reduce the player / club power imbalance.

I wonder if making the draft age 20 would make a difference?

Kids would be more mature and clubs would have more exposed data to assess them on...

I also think first rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract.

I like the earlier idea of no choice of club before free agency kicks in

An older draft age reduces a lot of the risk associated with the current draft but is also extremely unfair to young footballers who already have a limited window to earn money during their career.

The solution to the problem ultimately comes down to clubs such as Gold Coast creating a culture and environment that players want to commit to. When players get the opportunity they are placing a high value on being part of a successful team; to the degree that they are willing to sacrifice earnings to do so.

The Gold Coast really shouldn't be a tough sell for a young male if the club is a professional outfit. But unfortunately it can take a number of years to create that environment. I can remember a time in the early 1990s when Sydney was either a feeder club or a place where bad footballers went to continue their careers. Over the past two decades though they have turned that around and there is no reason why Gold Coast cannot do that as well if the make the right hires and lobby the AFL for greater resources.

An older draft age reduces a lot of the risk associated with the current draft but is also extremely unfair to young footballers who already have a limited window to earn money during their career.

The solution to the problem ultimately comes down to clubs such as Gold Coast creating a culture and environment that players want to commit to. When players get the opportunity they are placing a high value on being part of a successful team; to the degree that they are willing to sacrifice earnings to do so.

The Gold Coast really shouldn't be a tough sell for a young male if the club is a professional outfit. But unfortunately it can take a number of years to create that environment. I can remember a time in the early 1990s when Sydney was either a feeder club or a place where bad footballers went to continue their careers. Over the past two decades though they have turned that around and there is no reason why Gold Coast cannot do that as well if the make the right hires and lobby the AFL for greater resources.
The club have now removed all the rot from the top, all the coaching staff and he players that aren’t buying in.
Clean slate, it’s not that hard to understand is it?

I hope we use them on the SA kids who then stay.

Sam day, Nathan bock have stated long term
Ballard seems very happy

Other than Polec, who is the last south Australian to go from an interstate (non Victorian) club back to Adelaide?
The only thing here is that luko and rankine are very highly rated and with the shape GC is in now on field these guys will have to be thrown in at the deep end if drafted by GC. they are going to have very little protection and are likely to cop the opposition best defenders each week and if the team is getting belted each week they could eaily get demoralised and a return home is absolutely feasible. Bickley in SA said if GC take the SA boys that they should offer 5 year contracts straight up but the only problem with that is that we are seeing contracts not being worth very much and players eventually get the move they want

It's been said numerous times before, but there a very few cases of GC players leaving after two years, and most of their leavers are guys who have been there for the long haul.

Adelaide and Port aren't nearly as likely as they and their supporters seem to think they are at luring these boys, certainly not after their initial 2-year contract. Jason Cripps in the trade breakfast was performing an act of desperation.

Of course , Why Polec leave Port if not because of Money .
Odd fella Polec is, don't think even he knows why he left. Supposedly it was stupid money everyone was saying and Port shouldn't match the money. What was known was that he was sulky because we were too fo pushed on getting a deal done for Wines. Rather of kept Wines then Polec.

It's been said numerous times before, but there a very few cases of GC players leaving after two years, and most of their leavers are guys who have been there for the long haul.

Adelaide and Port aren't nearly as likely as they and their supporters seem to think they are at luring these boys, certainly not after their initial 2-year contract. Jason Cripps in the trade breakfast was performing an act of desperation.
They hardly ever take SA boys the ones GCS have taken Ports considered. The Gorrnge trade fell because we preferred Ryder, Tape was a dud, Day stayed for the cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They hardly ever take SA boys the ones GCS have taken Ports considered. The Gorrnge trade fell because we preferred Ryder, Tape was a dud, Day stayed for the cash.
So just wait one and two year and try to entice them back .

[

If you knew everything why came to forum and discuss , you already knew it all . You don't need other here to Valid your comment as you already knew it all.
???? Wtf did you read that first part? I guess not. No I got my info from the media and I accept that it can be wrong.

You talk like you know what's going on, even though you really have no clue. Even with Tape being a dud, he still chose to stay there after being delisted instead of moving back to his family, which says a lot. They've also had plenty of WA & Vic boys stay there beyond the initial two years; don't even try to pretend SA has a stronger homesickness lure.

???? Wtf did you read that first part? I guess not. No I got my info from the media and I accept that it can be wrong.

Why are you so sulky? Cripps comments got you down?
Did you read ? I said Cripps are allowed to said whatever he want , if he said he will try to get them back later, just do it . Nothing wrong to dare other club recruiters to pick them up .

You talk like you know what's going on, even though you really have no clue. Even with Tape being a dud, he still chose to stay there after being delisted instead of moving back to his family, which says a lot. They've also had plenty of WA & Vic boys stay there beyond the initial two years; don't even try to pretend SA has a stronger homesickness lure.
What? Of course I don't know. Wtf do you want me to say?

Both boys want to stay in SA so not the best idea to dare him.
Again, you don't know them personally.

Just about every draftee would initially have the preference of staying at home closer to their family, there's nothing groundbreaking about that. Sam Petrevski-Seton is an extremely rare example who was happier to move away from home. Lukosius & Rankine/Rozee is no riskier a selection than any other interstate talent.

Is it possible not to drag AFC into this debate? They haven't said anything.
It's more the supporters in Adelaide's case.

At some point, one of these clubs have to realize Lukosius, Rankine and Rozee aren't the only gun South Australians likely to go in the first round. Adelaide's current hand could easily get them 3 guns, no need to trade up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back