Game Day “In the Outer” Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Hawthorn (MCG-3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit where credit is due, the AFL have seemingly managed to create what fans view as a perfect competition. The 2017 season has brought levels of parity not seen for 20 years in the AFL. Upset after upset, nail biter after nail biter has really created an all-time classic season. And with this parity, a Hawthorn side that was seemingly down and out is right back in contention. Collingwood has not taken advantage of this parity and has not won crucial matches in which the side could have cemented their place in the top eight. Now Collingwood’s season is becoming a week to week affair.

Last time these two teams met, the Hawks jumped out the gates and bolted to a lead of more than forty points. Collingwood fans expressed their disapproval of their team’s performance, raining boos down on the team as the quarter time siren rang. It must have fired the Magpies up, as they rallied a magnificent comeback and hand them a historic win, ending a losing streak to the Hawks stretching back to 2012.

Hawthorn

It’s been a weird season for the Hawks. Starting the season, most knew they would not compete for the flag like they have done during their dynasty, but to be frank, the start they had to the season was nothing short of horrendous. Blowouts like nothing fans have seen for a long time were dealt to Hawthorn, left football fans questioning whether players like Gunston, Puopolo, and Breust were just good players when their team was playing well. Even some fans began to question whether the coach Alistair Clarkson was the right man to lead the Hawks through what will most likely be a tough rebuild. But, thanks to a change up in form, and this quite strange season the Hawks find themselves only two games outside the top eight! Now, even the most optimistic of Hawks fans will feel as though the Hawks are unlikely to compete for a finals spot, but it is a true testament to Clarkson to at least make the Hawks competitive.

One main problem that the Hawks have experienced this season is the fact that they have not played well in the second halves, particularly the third quarters. This was quite evident in the previous time these two sides met. Hawthorn were playing brilliantly in the first half, and then came to a screeching halt. This problem was seemingly addressed last week when the Hawks managed to rally in the second half to record a brilliant win against the highly fancied Crows over in Adelaide.

In a bleak season (by Hawthorn standards), one player has really stood up for the Hawks in Tom Mitchell. Mitchell has only recorded less than 30 disposals in one match and 2017, and recording a huge 50 disposals against the Magpies. While some people in the football world, such as Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley, do not believe that Mitchell is damaging in his role, it’s no doubt that he is fulfilling his role to a supreme degree, and has been a true standout for the Hawks.

Collingwood

It’s been a rather confusing season for Collingwood. While there have been extraordinary highs, such as the performance against Geelong, and the third quarter against the Hawks, these have been matched with terrible lows, such as ANZAC Day, the match against Carlton, and their performance against Port Adelaide on the weekend. Collingwood was pitiful all over the ground, unable to score and unable to defend. With their season on the line, the Magpies were just not able to stand up when it counted, and were comprehensively beaten by a much more determined Port Adelaide side.

Like Hawthorn, Collingwood’s third quarters are still an issue for the team. Collingwood fares well in most of the other quarters, but have only won two third quarters for the year. This was evident in the Queen’s birthday game, where Collingwood’s momentum came to a screeching halt, costing them the game. As mentioned, Hawthorn have also struggled in third quarters, so it will be interesting to see who comes out on top after the third quarter.

The man to watch for Collingwood this week is Josh Thomas. Josh Thomas tested positive to a banned substance in 2015, and has not played a game since 2014. Thomas has showed flashes of brilliance throughout his career, but has not been able to string more than a few quality games together. Thomas is surely on his last chance, and will need to use this opportunity to try and demand another contract for 2018 season.

Head to Head Odds

Hawthorn: $2.10

Collingwood: $1.75

TV

Live on Channel 7, excluding Qld, and WA.

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

ABC

3AW

MMM

IPTV

AFL Live Pass

Foxtel Now

WatchAFL

Scott Pendlebury 250 games

Drafted as a skinny 18 year old, Scott Pendlebury has evolved into an all-time Collingwood legend. Respected by all fans and players, Pendlebury is a player known for his consistency and the ability to slow every one down around him, it has been a pleasure to watch him play. Here’s to a whole lot more games Pendles.

Tip

This is a tough match to judge. Hawthorn are coming off an amazing win against the Crows, while Collingwood have just played their worst match for the year. The Hawks are still suffering from some injuries to key players, and Collingwood just have a bit more polish to finish off the Hawks.

Collingwood by 6 points

Oct 16, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not usually so negative but come 6 o'clock tomorrow, dropping Reid will be the difference.

Play him up forward for the entire game and we'll see improvement. Moore has struggled most games this year. It's a ridiculous notion that we continue to back Moore in, he predictively fails due to being not ready and then chuck Reid forward for a quarter while the momentum is all against us and expect miracles from him. If Reid isn't a late in, and especially if he plays VFL tomorrow, this call is the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Howezat

Senior List
Jun 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not usually so negative but come 6 o'clock tomorrow, dropping Reid will be the difference.

Play him up forward for the entire game and we'll see improvement. Moore has struggled most games this year.

Reid has never played forward without breaking down, it's twists and turns compared to a straight line out of defence. He's never coming back as a forward and we need to accept that, not sure we can count on him as a defender going forward either so hope the Swans rumours are on the money.

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reid has never played forward without breaking down, it's twists and turns compared to a straight line out of defence. He's never coming back as a forward and we need to accept that, not sure we can count on him as a defender going forward either so hope the Swans rumours are on the money.
What can we realistically get for him?

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah i was thinking the same, being proactive puts more strain on soft tissues compared to being reactive, makes sense though, a forward can make 5 dummy leads the defender doesn't even need to respond too.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't really think Hawthorn's performance against Adelaide was anything special. There is something going on with Adelaide, which was evident in the fact they almost lost today to Carlton. I think Collingwood should be able to win by at least 5 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
Smash em.pies for pendles 250th!!!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oct 16, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood

He did alright in the back half of 2013, the last time he was given a decent run up forward.

Not completely dismissing the theory, but Reid turned into paper mâché well before he was swung forward, I recon he's just injury prone.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
But Carlton beat us.

I'm not comparing Collingwood to Carlton. I'm giving a different perspective of Hawthorn's big win over Adelaide last week. Adelaide are being seen as this awesome team and Hawthorn are getting their tyres pumped up because they beat Adelaide in SA last week. But my point is that Hawthorn's win over Adelaide was proven today as no great feat, as Adelaide could barely compete with Carlton, who are rubbish. Yes, Carlton beat us too but we have been pretty much rubbish most of the year. I just think that the Hawks have had a few lucky wins against teams like Adelaide and Sydney and are being overrated here.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not comparing Collingwood to Carlton. I'm giving a different perspective of Hawthorn's big win over Adelaide last week. Adelaide are being seen as this awesome team and Hawthorn are getting their tyres pumped up because they beat Adelaide in SA last week. But my point is that Hawthorn's win over Adelaide was proven today as no great feat, as Adelaide could barely compete with Carlton, who are rubbish. Yes, Carlton beat us too but we have been pretty much rubbish most of the year. I just think that the Hawks have had a few lucky wins against teams like Adelaide and Sydney and are being overrated here.
But we're not?

Hmm I'm pretty confident we can win this...

But I was also just as confident last week too, and that didn't turn out well.

So by that logic, Hawks by 38.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back