Game Day “In the Outer” Matchday Discussion Port Adelaide@Collingwood (MCG-1:45PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2017 season has flown by its halfway point, and fans are no closer to finding out who is the favorite for the flag. On the surface, Port Adelaide look like they’re in a quality position, sitting in the top four with a healthy percentage. However, Port have been handed the dreaded “flat track bullies” tag after failing to beat any team inside the top 10. While a win over Collingwood will do nothing to denounce this tag, it will go a long way in improving their credentials for a vital top four position in this bizarre 2017 season.

Collingwood on the other hand are still struggling to find consistency in their 2017 season. In the second quarter of their Queen’s Birthday clash against Melbourne, it looked like it all clicked for Collingwood. However, it wasn’t to be as they fell away in the second half, costing the Magpies a top eight spot in the process. While hopping into the top eight after the conclusion of the round is a unlikey possibility, a win will do no harm to their chances of finals.

Port Adelaide have become somewhat of a bogey side for the Magpies. With Port winning all but one of the meetings between the two sides since 2013.

Port Adelaide

The Power are a team that has many question marks hanging above the team’s head in 2017. At times, the side has looked dominant, showing glimpses of the possibility that they have recaptured that dazzling 2014 game style that almost granted them a grand final berth. However, a heavy loss against Essendon at Etihad two weeks ago has really caused football fans to question the Power’s legitimacy as well as whether Ken Hinkley is the right man for the job.

The forward line is the key to Port Adelaide’s success, with Port scoring over 100 points in but one of their wins. Charlie Dixon had a mixed 2016, but has seemingly been able to establish consistency in his game. Robbie Gray has also continued to do what Robbie Gray does kicking 29 goals in 2017 If Collingwood are hoping to stop the scoring machine that is Port Adelaide, these are the two men they must put a stop to.

Another man to watch is the first year player in Sam Powell Pepper. Powell Pepper arrived with a bang in round one against Sydney, and has barely missed a beat since then. His critics rightfully say that his kicking often lets him down, but his fend off and the lack of regard for his own safety make him a player that Collingwood must address and keep an eye on.

Collingwood

On the surface, a 5-7 record and a 13th position on the ladder seems like another wasted season for the Magpies. However, Collingwood have been competitive in all of their matches, with their biggest loss being at the hands of the Blues by 23 points. While the start of the season was rather frustrating for Collingwood fans, over the past month the side has been able to string some really strong football together, with the second quarter of the Queen’s Birthday being arguably the side’s best quarter of the season. Unfortunately, one quarter was not enough to bring the side over the line against Melbourne, with turnovers being the deciding factor in the loss.

In a season where consistency is non-existent for this Collingwood side, one man has been the exception to this; Jeremy Howe. Jeremy Howe has been nothing short of excellent for the Magpies this season. The rebounding defender is seemingly enjoying his role as a rebounding defender. If the season finished at this point, he would be a shoo-in for the All Australian team.

Matchup to Watch

There are three men in the hunt for the ruckman spot in this years All Australian side, two of them are playing today in Brodie Grundy and Paddy Ryder (Mumford is the third man for those wondering). After a year off, Ryder has nothing short of brilliant for Port, becoming a vital piece of this Port Adelaide team. Brodie Grundy has continued on from his excellent second half in 2016 to become a top tier ruckman. Both these ruckman are known for their mobility around the ground, and take a strong overhead mark.

Head to Head Odds

Collingwood: $2
Port Adelaide: $1.80

TV

Delayed on Channel 7, SA only. Coverage begins at 4PM

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

ABC

3AW

MMM

SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass

Foxtel Now

WatchAFL

Tip

It’s been a funny season, with no team safe in any game. Port will be out to improve their top four demands in this crucial match. However, they haven’t been to flash on the road, with a 3-3 record. Although Collingwood lost to Melbourne, they are still in good form, and will just be enough to win.

Collingwood by 3 points

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Think we can show Port up in the midfield. If Treloar, Pendles and Sidebottom in particular have good games, think we can win. Think Reid is a big in for us, he may play forward, if not he will sure up the backline. Like to Fasolo have a breakout game and kick a bag. Also a better game from Adams, than last week, will go along way to helping us get over the line.
Pies by 17pts.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Keep Wingard quiet and smother Gray. Then we're in with a chance. I remember being VERY hungover in 2012 and watching us trample PA at Etihad (despite us having a 2012 kind of year). Dream big Pies Fans. Dream big.

Piesnchess

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2009
Mt Evelyn
AFL Club
Collingwood
My first game for the year, all the way from the wilds of Mt Evelyn. ! Hope I can bring us luck, I am quietly confident, reckon we will be in a shitty mood after losing to the umpire loving deeees last week, and we will hit Port hard, very hard. Pies by around 20 points plus I reckon, and hope. Go Woods. !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
We will win.

Why?

Why not

dirts

Team Captain
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My first game for the year, all the way from the wilds of Mt Evelyn. ! Hope I can bring us luck, I am quietly confident, reckon we will be in a shitty mood after losing to the umpire loving deeees last week, and we will hit Port hard, very hard. Pies by around 20 points plus I reckon, and hope. Go Woods. !
That's freaky!

My son and I will heading in for our first game of the year from Mt Ev as well.

Hopefully an Omen!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon Reid will play forward seeing as Goldsack is also back.
Yes, totally logical and I'd expect this.

In ways because Goldsack can handle the key back aea as well, just in case lNagdon is seen as extra back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back