swanheaven
Other Teams
sydney
Read it again and weap - The unloseable match

Port ready to peak: Williams
Friday 5 September 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

A confident Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams – showing no signs of nerves with the Power’s dreadful finals record again set to go under the microscope – has declared his side ready to peak for September.

The Power has won just one of six finals matches since joining the AFL in 1997 and it is exactly one year since Port finished on top of the ladder at the end of 2002 and went into a home qualifying final against Collingwood as unbackable favourites.

It is of course history now that the Power lost that ‘unloseable’ match – a year after being knocked out of the finals by Hawthorn on home soil – as their 2002 campaign ended with a preliminary final defeat in Brisbane.

This year Port was even more dominant during the home and away season – winning the minor premiership by a massive three games – and now it again finds itself again up against a rank outsider in injury-hit Sydney in Sunday’s first qualifying final at AAMI Stadium.

Swans coach Paul Roos has already tried the tactic so successfully used by Collingwood’s Mick Malthouse in the lead-up to last year’s qualifying final by declaring all the pressure to be on the Power this weekend.

However Williams said the confidence in the Port camp, ahead of the start of the 2003 finals series, is greater than it was at this time last season.

“Oh yeah, definitely,” he said, when asked if Port was more confident in its ability to handle finals pressure this year.

“Last year the last three games we had to win them to get top spot and to get the double chance but this year it’s been very much a more considered way of getting there (top spot).”

Such has been Port’s dominance during the home and away season that it had top spot sewn up even before its penultimate home and away game against Richmond, yet it still beat an Adelaide side playing for a top four finish last week.

“A close game last week really topped us off,” he said when asked if Port was now ready to peak.

“There was a lot of confidence out of that, no doubt.”

And not even the likelihood that a Sydney side missing injured stars Michael O’Loughlin, Jason Saddington and Jason Ball will attempt to make Sunday’s game a defensive slog does not concern Williams.

“We just come out and play hard, tough footy and that will get us over the line,” he said.

“Sydney play that way (defensively), they will flood back and we are anticipating that.

“Teams have been doing that to us for a fair time and the more times they do it, the more times we are comfortable with it and we get the results.

“We’ve won so many games with sides trying to play us like that, that if it happens again on Sunday it will be just a case of ‘Oh, well here it goes again’.”

Williams said his players were looking forward to the start of the finals with the Power having steeled itself for the qualifying final for the past fortnight.

“It’s very much a feeling of excitement, we’ve done a lot of hard work through the year to get back to this stage and we are really looking forward to it,” he said.

But despite his side’s overwhelming favouritism, Williams is certainly not taking Sydney lightly.

“We are very much aware it’s a 50/50 game and we are looking at it that way,” he said.

“You can talk down Sydney as much as you like but we know how good they are, they beat Brisbane in Brisbane only three weeks ago so let’s remember that.”

It makes port's first-half effort today seem even more puzzling/pathetic/embarrassing - I could hardly believe what I was seeing in that 2nd quarter :) , I thought we had a slim chance of winning (very optimistic, I know) but not 40 points up at 1/2 time!

BTW how many times did the commentators say "Unbelievable?" They even apologized for it after the game!

Great win by the Swans, one thing i have to say though is that with all the injuries and being left with 19 fit players today, the team that needed the week off the most got it!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

“We are very much aware it’s a 50/50 game and we are looking at it that way,” he said.

“You can talk down Sydney as much as you like but we know how good they are, they beat Brisbane in Brisbane only three weeks ago so let’s remember that.”

You may have thought that Chocco, too bad your players thought you already had the premeirship.

“Sydney play that way (defensively), they will flood back and we are anticipating that.

Outcoached I would say about expecting Roos to employ the flood..

But Sydney coach Paul Roos had a plan.

Having pored over videos of an undermanned Collingwood's victory over Port in almost identical circumstances in the corresponding match last year, Roos knew application and discipline would count for a lot more than personnel.

Far from employing the defensive flooding tactics that Port coach Mark Williams had anticipated, the Swans used the man-on-man method that got Collingwood home last year.

"I watched the game during the week, and I probably didn't realise it at the time until I watched it again how similar things were," Roos said.

"It was really interesting to watch how they went about it and a lot of our preparation did revolve around that game last year.

"More than any other team you just can't give them time and space, they're the most skilful team in the competition and they use the ball extremely well."

flood what flood?

The swannies under Roos are playing a pretty different brand of football , a much more attacking, running and accountable brand. Williams comments just sound wrong. The swans are not playing flood style like eade. Roos have left the boys off the leash and given them the licence to create an dthe boys took that ball and ran with it.

Slack homework.

Football is played 95% above the shoulders.... it wouldn't matter which team went to play Port today.... they would have thought they were a chance to win if they jumped Port purely because they knew Ports history of choking... and regardless how good Port are the self doubts would come in and it would snowball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back