Society & Culture “Racial Profiling”

Remove this Banner Ad

Only time I may have seen it recently was a security guy at Rebel Sport Midland taking a rather close inspection into a family member's handbag. Obviously can't be sure but it was hard not to feel like she was targeted because of an indigenous appearance.
Is there a precedent of that in Midland or was she unfairly singled out?

Racial profiling 100% exists. Some people choose to believe it doesn't and others choose to believe there aren't circumstances where it is prudent. It's still racial profiling if you are introduced to an accountant that is Asian and you feel comforted by their appearance.

Anyone who says something like 'I own a business and I treat every single customer exactly the same' is completely full of s**t. Race is just one factor. Age, dress, behaviour etc. all come into play. 'sif a Karen walks in and you don't immediately brace for an incoming ordeal. 'sif some boomer walks into JB Hifi and the staff don't immediately think '*, don't ask me dumb tech questions'.

It's a bit like name bias. There's a school of thought you are better off with a 'white' name, and there's a counter school of thought that people actually exhibit class bias and associate certain names with lower socioeconomic status (which often coincides with race). Jaeger O'Meara is a good footballer but if he wasn't and had to get a real job people are kidding themselves if they don't think employers would look at a CV with 'Jaeger' at the top and shake their heads.

I've caught a s**t ton of late night trains out of Perth (Freo, Midland, Armadale and Mandurah lines - sorry Joondalup) and 99% of the time I've had no trouble. The 1% of the time I've had (minor) trouble it has been with young indigenous people in groups. I'm not judging all indigenous people for that but if I do find myself hanging around the central train station late at night and see similar groups I will be cautious. If that's racist then *en sue me.

Racial profiling 100% exists. Some people choose to believe it doesn't and others choose to believe there aren't circumstances where it is prudent. It's still racial profiling if you are introduced to an accountant that is Asian and you feel comforted by their appearance.

Anyone who says something like 'I own a business and I treat every single customer exactly the same' is completely full of sh*t. Race is just one factor. Age, dress, behaviour etc. all come into play. 'sif a Karen walks in and you don't immediately brace for an incoming ordeal. 'sif some boomer walks into JB Hifi and the staff don't immediately think 'fu**, don't ask me dumb tech questions'.

It's a bit like name bias. There's a school of thought you are better off with a 'white' name, and there's a counter school of thought that people actually exhibit class bias and associate certain names with lower socioeconomic status (which often coincides with race). Jaeger O'Meara is a good footballer but if he wasn't and had to get a real job people are kidding themselves if they don't think employers would look at a CV with 'Jaeger' at the top and shake their heads.

I've caught a sh*t ton of late night trains out of Perth (Freo, Midland, Armadale and Mandurah lines - sorry Joondalup) and 99% of the time I've had no trouble. The 1% of the time I've had (minor) trouble it has been with young indigenous people in groups. I'm not judging all indigenous people for that but if I do find myself hanging around the central train station late at night and see similar groups I will be cautious. If that's racist then fu**en sue me.
It’s not even racial. There is a group of punks looking for trouble I doubt anyone is gonna count the colours.

But in all truth I will avoid a gang of 6 no matter what race they are.

It happened quite a few years ago now but when I was growing up my parents had an indigenous friend, a really nice guy with three kids. He worked for an excavation company. The owner, also a friend of my parents, used to let our indigenous friend use his Mercedes, his second car. Out friend got pulled over by the police, suspicious of an Indigenous person driving a Mercedes, a number of times.

It happened quite a few years ago now but when I was growing up my parents had an indigenous friend, a really nice guy with three kids. He worked for an excavation company. The owner, also a friend of my parents, used to let our indigenous friend use his Mercedes, his second car. Out friend got pulled over by the police, suspicious of an Indigenous person driving a Mercedes, a number of times.

No doubt it happens. Same cop may have previously pulled over a number of others who were in stolen cars etc...... 🤷‍♂️

I feel like being a middle aged white male people expect me to be racist. A few recent-ish examples:

- Walking across a bridge and traffic banked up, bloke slows down "the *en traffic is slow because of all these Asian drivers, how bad is it?" then continued on his way, i was WTF

- Cashier at Coles after serving an Asian lady who bought a fair bit of baby formula gives me the eye roll and "Typical hey?". I played dumb (which I'm good at of course) and asked what she meant, she said "Oh you know, what she bought", I said "yeah she's probably got a baby", then she shook her head and moved on.

I feel like being a middle aged white male people expect me to be racist. A few recent-ish examples:

- Walking across a bridge and traffic banked up, bloke slows down "the fu**en traffic is slow because of all these Asian drivers, how bad is it?" then continued on his way, i was WTF

- Cashier at Coles after serving an Asian lady who bought a fair bit of baby formula gives me the eye roll and "Typical hey?". I played dumb (which I'm good at of course) and asked what she meant, she said "Oh you know, what she bought", I said "yeah she's probably got a baby", then she shook her head and moved on.

I'm siding with the cashier

- Walking across a bridge and traffic banked up, bloke slows down "the fu**en traffic is slow because of all these Asian drivers, how bad is it?" then continued on his way, i was WTF

You are just un-Australian mate.

Anyone who says something like 'I own a business and I treat every single customer exactly the same' is completely full of sh*t. Race is just one factor. Age, dress, behaviour etc. all come into play. 'sif a Karen walks in and you don't immediately brace for an incoming ordeal. 'sif some boomer walks into JB Hifi and the staff don't immediately think 'fu**, don't ask me dumb tech questions'.

I've caught a sh*t ton of late night trains out of Perth (Freo, Midland, Armadale and Mandurah lines - sorry Joondalup) and 99% of the time I've had no trouble. The 1% of the time I've had (minor) trouble it has been with young indigenous people in groups. I'm not judging all indigenous people for that but if I do find myself hanging around the central train station late at night and see similar groups I will be cautious. If that's racist then fu**en sue me.
This is why I think it's more realistic to call it class profiling. Because of racism in the past and today often race dictates class, however I think most people would feel more comfortable with an Aboriginal man in a suit and tie than they would with a white teen with red eyes and sagging pants. The issue is that legitimate racists want to exploit that class profiling to get people to agree with their racial supremacy rhetoric, but I think it's a mistake to engage them on their terms and argue along racial terms when really they are disingenuously co-opting class issues and dressing them up in a racial suit because openly arguing in favor of eugenics and phrenology is relegated to the dustbin of intellectual discourse.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well ok then, heres ten hours of it for your viewing pleasure...

Still more exciting than Shapiro.

The kid is the first to scream 'anti-Semite' at the top of his lungs, at the mere mention of the word Zionist......They don't come any more hypocritical, triggered, ignorant & out of touch than that pampered little toad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back